RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Balancing Low Wing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/591114-balancing-low-wing.html)

flyhi 02-28-2003 08:12 PM

Balancing Low Wing

I've flown high wing so long and got a low wing and balanced it upright, not upside down. had to add a lot of lead to tail to do so, and when i tried to take it off, it was way, way too nose heavy. Is this what happens when you balance a low wing right side up, iow, not upside down?

BingoFlyer 02-28-2003 10:29 PM

Balancing Low Wing

It is very difficult to balance a low wing plane upright, the mass (weight) is above the pivot point when doing it this way and can give false indication.

You were lucky that your plane didn't end up tail heavy, you would probably be rebuilding.

Small Fry 02-28-2003 10:34 PM

Balancing Low Wing

What happened was the center of gravity of your plane was too high when you balanced it. Though I've never flown a plane, I am well thought of in lines of torque and the physics and crap like that. Since your CG was high, the plane wanted to roll fowards, because it was heavier at that height. so it wanted to roll fowards, and you compensated it by adding weight to the tail.

The plane is most stable when the fuse is under the wings(that's why you balance a high wing right side up).

If you've ever tried tying something to a sting, and pulling the string taught, the reason why the object you've tied to the string immediately drops to the bottom is because it is more stable there. Things in nature like to be stable, and your airplane is no exception.

If you were to balance it upside down, then you're plane wouldnt have been as nose heavy, and would have probably taken less lead.

Hope this helps.

FLYBOY 02-28-2003 11:35 PM

Balancing Low Wing

sounds like if you added weight to the tail and it was still nose heavy, you need to add some more. Flip it upsidedown like they are saying and see what it does.

Azcat59 03-01-2003 12:46 AM

Balancing Low Wing

Measure the distance from the leading edge to the CG from the plan side view. Then mark this distance on the top of your wing next to the fuselage, both sides. Put a strip of 1/4" masking tape on this spot, each side, running from the fuselage side towards the tip. An inch long strip will do it. Now....turn the plane upside down, over your bench so if you slip it will not fall far, and put your fingers, or balancing tool, on these two tape pieces. You will find the true balance and you can add weight or shift the radio parts as needed to get the correct balance.

Clair

flyhi 03-01-2003 05:53 AM

Balancing Plane

Fellows, it's fantastic to get so much good advice quickly and free. I plan to rebalance it upside down as soon as I get the wheels back on :) they kinda came off when I tried the first take off. Must've been when it hit the ground after the tail dropped and I overcorrected at an altitude of 3 feet. thanks

bignasdy-RCU 03-01-2003 03:01 PM

will explain when this stupid thing qccepts the file

1 Attachment(s)
I love typing for thirty minutes, and the stupid thing erases eveyting you type, cause it says the file is too big , but it is NOT!

bignasdy-RCU 03-01-2003 03:05 PM

Balancing Low Wing

MAN thats irretating! now then, make a loop out of rope, loop around the tail then the nose. place a small level on the horisontal stab, front to rear. pick the plane up by the looped rope, and where the loop comes together is where the ballance point is. I use a plumbob string, with eyhook attached to show exact position. any questions email me, Im tired of messin with this tecnologicly challenged forum. Im okay now, I got a little frustrated> if yall have any Qs email me and I will help. This is so easy, and gives exact results. Even if the stab has a positive incidence. Care must be taken to avoid damaging the airplane, just like anything else you do with the plane. When you pick up the plane, have youre hunny, or buddy or yourself, adust the rope so the level reads level. You know you want the plane to handg a little nose down, when empty of fuel, so hang it just nose down and look where the plumbbob points. Thats where the cg is with it a little nose down. If it needs adjusted , adjust it. Dont make brain surgery out of this, it works for anyone!
d
d

MinnFlyer 03-02-2003 08:50 PM

Balancing Low Wing

Where'd ya get that Plumboob?

bignasdy-RCU 03-02-2003 09:00 PM

Balancing Low Wing

cute aint it?