RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   1/32 plywood (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/609885-1-32-plywood.html)

CoosBayLumber 03-09-2003 12:44 AM

1/32 plywood

Any one have a reference to a supplier of 1/32 plywood which has a very blonde finish. Looking for something other than the usual brown/tan Birch plywood which is available seemingly everywhere. The new wood is going to be used on a 1920's model that is to be stained and curved but remain rigid. Would like a Popular or Basswood exterior as these stain well.

Already checked the usual places like Aircraft Spruce, Superior, Lone Star, and SIG. No such type available.

You folks know of any others out there?

Wm.

MAJSteve 03-09-2003 08:43 AM

1/32 plywood

Just a thought - why don't you shop for a cabinet grade veneer? There are a few places in the inland empire that have that in stock or can get it. You could probably either get it as ply (though I doubt more than 3 at the most) or as a veneer and then glue it to backer to give it strength.

CoosBayLumber 03-09-2003 02:35 PM

1/32 plywood

Had visited a specialty wood distributor and a wooden door manufacturer. Problem with their woods is that they are rather grainy. Customers preferr such so that it shows off after finishing. A grainy wood would make the model look like it had termites.

Could use 1mm. plywood maybe 1.5mm plywood too.

Wm.

blvdbuzzard 03-09-2003 03:50 PM

1/32 plywood

I know it would be a long drive for you but there is a place in Solana Beach called cut and dried hard woods. They have a good selection of hard woods, plywood, ands veneers. There is also a store call Lance,Stanton, and vace that you could get 1/20th, 1/32, 1/40th maple, oak, paper birch, and many other veeners.

To find more on the net do a search on marquerty. This is what we lamen call wood inlay work.

You may have to use veener to get the color, grain style you are looking for. I think Micro Mark was selling some veeners too.

Dru.

scalebldr 03-09-2003 08:36 PM

bleach

just for the heck of it did you try using plain bleach on a piece of the birch ply to see if that would lighten up to the color you want.depends on how long you leave the bleach on and its strength.may have to do a few times.just a thought.

CoosBayLumber 03-09-2003 10:32 PM

1/32 plywood

BLVDBUZZARD:

We have places within 5 minutes from here with thin veneers. These sort of come out like the door skins. They are way too grainy. They do not stock plywoods though locally. Thus would like to order up a 2x2 or 2x4 sheet.

SCALEBUILDER:

My father was a painter for decades. I used his wood bleachs which did turn out a bit lighter, however just the opposite it made for good contrast in the natural Birdseyes that appear in Birch plywood. The original model had a reference to a "Bathtub" as the exterior of the fuselage was made up form some paneled hard wood. I want to use a fine grain light plywood then scribe in lines to represent the origianal panels. It looks fake to use a slab of Birch plywood, as the Birdseye grain runs right through the scribed lines.

I see references to 1mmand 1.5 light ply on U.K. printed plans, and would like to find such domestically.

Wm.

scalebldr 03-09-2003 11:48 PM

poplar plywood

does it have to be plywood or would thin 1/32 sheets of poplar or maple work for you? seems like i remember thin sheets of wood 3 inches wide though in walnut maple mahogany oak think poplar at a hobby shop that was doing doll houses almost looked like a balsa display.seems like i saw wood to simulate capboards siding shingles everthing to detail a minuteture doll house.hope that helps.