RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Dual tank, 1 engine - How to? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/616970-dual-tank-1-engine-how.html)

strato911 03-11-2003 07:18 PM

Dual tank, 1 engine - How to?

I am faced with an interesting problem, and hope someone here can help. I have tried searching RCU, but have not found the details I need, so my appologies if this has been recently covered.

Due to space limitations on my current (custom) project, I am considering using dual tanks. One would be close to the engine, and the other near the CG. The engine is a converted WeedEaterŪ gasoline engine without muffler pressure, but I'm told it has a pump. How exactly are the fuel lines hooked up to ensure a good fuel supply? I could use one long, skinny tank as well, but I am concerned the clunk will suck air while in a dive. Also, if I want only one tank, I have to make my own, since I can't find a comercially made tank which will fit (I want 16oz or more).

Thanks in advance for any help (epecially illustrations).

MinnFlyer 03-11-2003 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Plug the feed from the rear tank into the vent on the front tank. A gasser will pull the fuel.

strato911 03-11-2003 08:09 PM

Thanks MinnFlyer, that'll be easier than trying to make my own tank. I can get 2 - 8oz tanks in that way no problems.

How do I run the vent of the second tank so that it doesn't spill during manouvers?

MaxThrottle 03-11-2003 08:33 PM

Originally posted by strato911
How do I run the vent of the second tank so that it doesn't spill during manouvers?
Good question!

I've often been told to place a Perry check valve allowing flow to go only into the tank.

But in an inverted run, more foaming seems to occur.

So I am also interested if there are other solutions to this.

Departure Recovery: Stretching the space and time in the brief seconds before a crash.

JohnBuckner 03-11-2003 09:28 PM

Stacking Tanks

Dennis
I have successfully stacked up to three tanks for a .45 powered X-country airplane. In that case: 12oz in the nose, 14oz in the radio compartment and 24 oz above the wing on the CG. I did use an oscillating pump because of almost eight inch change in head level between the tanks.

Your carb pump like Minn Flyer says should be plenty. And the hook up is exactly like his drawing. It would be my suggestion to take a hint from the Ukie guys and loop the vent of the rear tank upward then down and forward and direct it straight into the prop flow. Leakage will be minimal.

John :)

CafeenMan 03-12-2003 02:33 AM

Can a gas engine use muffler pressure?

strato911 03-12-2003 05:36 AM

In theory it should be possible, but I sure don't want to see what happens if the exhaust still has a slight flame :stupid: . An old lawnmower my dad had used to shoot a flame out the muffler 6 inches when the engine got hot and misfired...
If this happens on a plane using muffler pressure - BOOM!! Don't worry about landing it. :D

CafeenMan 03-12-2003 07:02 AM

Hmmm... maybe I can talk one of my fellow club members into doing it then. I'll leave the "boom" part out of the conversation though. :)

MinnFlyer 03-12-2003 09:23 PM

Originally posted by strato911
Just run a line from the vent to the outside of the plane. You'll need that to tell when you're full anyway.

And NEVER use muffler pressure on a gasser! Like Strato said

"BOOM"

Geistware 03-13-2003 03:40 PM

MinnFlyer,
I would like to use that picture in my tips section

MinnFlyer 03-13-2003 05:27 PM

You (and anyone else) may use any of my pics for a not-for-profit use. All we ask is that you credit RCU for the pic. Thanks :)

strato911 03-13-2003 06:36 PM

Originally posted by MinnFlyer
You (and anyone else) may use any of my pics for a not-for-profit use. All we ask is that you credit RCU for the pic. Thanks :)
Thanks in advance. If I ever get around to making my own site :cool: , that'll save me having to draw them all myself.