RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   cap 232 problem (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/628463-cap-232-problem.html)

jdp8488 03-16-2003 11:20 PM

cap 232 problem

When I am flying my cap and am pulling out of a vertical dive, or just tracking strait at full throttle, my tail begins to flutter pretty bad. I have the airplane balanced with factory settings, is this because it may be just a little tail heavy? I have not tried to add weight to the nose yet but I think this may be the problem. any suggestions?

CAPtain232 03-17-2003 12:29 AM

cap 232 problem

What EXACTLY do you mean by flutter?

If you mean that a specific control surface is "FLUTTERING", then you have a problem with that control surface. It would have little to do with weight.

A control surface will flutter for several reasons. It could be as simple as on the downline, you are going WAY TOO FAST. Typically though, flutter is caused from a bad hinge gap or sloppy linkage. The gap between the the two surfaces should be minimized and sealed. Linkage should be snug and maintained that way. It doesn't take much slop to create a problem. Could be a sloppy servo also.

Check all of these things and and report back...let us know what you find.

jdp8488 03-17-2003 12:43 AM

cap 232 problem

Well, the hinges are all ok, but I did find that the push rods that came with the kit really are poor grade. I can actually move the elevator up about 1/2 of an inch and down 1/2 an inch with out the servo moving a bit. Let me know. I sure am scootin along at a good click comming out of those dives as well, and the flutter thing, i mean the tail will really start shaking up and down violently and i do not get a whole lot of response from the elevator, I really have to slow down a whole lot when I start to exit a dive or the plane will keep on goin down with the tail shakin.

Stick Jammer 03-17-2003 02:19 AM

cap 232 problem

:rolleyes: Dude! You need to find out why there is so much play in that elevator and fix it or start planning the funeral now. :cool:

jdp8488 03-17-2003 03:04 AM

cap 232 problem

Heh, already on that, I will be purchasing some new pushrods tommorow and put in a new set up. the push rods that were on it were the wood dowels with steel ends, the ends are very flexible and flex a bit to much.

CAPtain232 03-17-2003 03:06 AM

cap 232 problem

Use something stiffer for sure. and most importantly SLOW DOWN. Let off of the throttle on a dive. Excess speed and flimsy control linkage is the problem here.

jdp8488 03-17-2003 03:56 AM

cap 232 problem

sure thing, thanks for the input.

outssider 03-17-2003 05:40 PM

cap 232 problem

why are you flying a cap like a pattern plane in the first place?
if you want to fly full throttle, get the correct plane for it!

these types of aerobatic planes...... cap/Giles/edge/extra/etc.

are designed to be light/fragile and flown at scale speeds with lots of power/torque to muscle them through maneuvers at a relatively slow Pace.....if you use these high power/torque engines to go as fast as possible, the plane will break apart......you have the wrong plane for your style of flying.