RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Paint to match ultra coat (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/630237-paint-match-ultra-coat.html)

longjohn 03-17-2003 03:16 PM

Paint to match ultra coat

I covered a MID-WEST AT-6 in ultracoat and I am trying to match the club yellow covering with paint for the cowl. The top-flite paint luster-coat I was told would match it, but it is not close.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Longjohn
RCU

SMALLFLY- 03-17-2003 04:38 PM

Im in the same boat. I hear the new ultrapaint will be out in a few weeks (from a hobby shop). You can try chevron matching colors available from tower or wait it out.

MinnFlyer 03-17-2003 05:41 PM

You could take a sample of covering to an Auto parts shop, they can match the paint, but you'll need a way to spray it on.

tonyc 03-17-2003 08:23 PM

Yep, same boat ya'll in.

I found this link here on RCU <radiosouthrc.com>
They will match paint using your sample of 2 inch Ultra coat covered wood.

I am doing a scratch built Ultimate in green and white. Tough color to match.

I called Radio South. Total cost for the white, green, primer, enough to do several planes would be about $76. This included shipping. I know that sounds steep, and it is steep, but it's only about $50 more than the rattle can paint.

hope this helps.

tonyc

CAPtain232 03-18-2003 01:58 AM

RADIOSOUTH is the answer....they do a heck of a job

MinnFlyer 03-18-2003 04:39 PM

But you still need a sprayer, right? Or do they make it in aerosol cans?

JimTrainor 03-18-2003 04:55 PM

Anyone ever tried putting Ultracoat over an ABS cowl?

I've asked this before, and one person replied yes, it worked. Obviosly some care would be required in regards to temperature.

If it is really feasible, then that would be a great plus for Ultracoat.

CAPtain232 03-18-2003 06:51 PM

I believe RADIO SOUTH can put it in a can.

tonyc 03-18-2003 07:31 PM

Sprayer ? Yes!

Yes you will need a sprayer. RadioSouth does have a paint can option. They will put it in a spray can for you. Not the same rattle can you get at the shop. Its a compresed spray can system.

What I do for mixed paint is use a hobby sprayer from Walmart. Its a two part system. You buy an aerosal can of propelent which is used to spray the paint. You thin the paint and put it into a small bollle. Test the spray pattern and you are set. I can't remember what the total cost for this system was but it was cheap. I am going to gess at $14 for the spray outfit and $7 per can of propelent. Works very well. I wouldn't take on a fiberglass war bird with this outfit, but for a cowl and wheel pants its fine.

tonyc

longjohn 03-19-2003 01:52 PM

Matching paint to ultracoat

I have decided to go the radioSouth way and get paint to match .
Thanks to all that reponded. We are blessed with so many fine people in our hobby and RCU provides a great sevice. Thanks

Longjohn
RCU