RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Landing Gear wire (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/653702-landing-gear-wire.html)

craigteffe 03-28-2003 02:50 AM

Landing Gear wire

1 Attachment(s)
I need some help! I want to know what kind of wire is used for landing gear(is it sprig steel). I have a Great Planes Corsair and I would like to make another set of landing gear with a coil in it, because our field is kind of rough. The wire that came with the kit is 5/32 diameter. I would also like to where i can purchase the wire.

Craig Tefffeteller

craigteffe 03-28-2003 02:52 AM

Landing Gear

1 Attachment(s)
I need some help! I want to know what kind of wire is used for landing gear(is it sprig steel). I have a Great Planes Corsair and I would like to make another set of landing gear with a coil in it, because our field is kind of rough. The wire that came with the kit is 5/32 diameter. I would also like to where i can purchase the wire.

Craig Tefffeteller

Charlie P. 03-28-2003 03:17 AM

Landing Gear wire

It's called "music" or "piano wire" and is available at all hardware and hobby stores. Spring steel is annealed (hardened) and would snap when you tried to bend it.

I always wondered what size piano would use a 5/32" string myself. Heck of a deep note!

William Robison 03-28-2003 03:18 AM

Landing Gear wire

craigteffe:

It is a hardened steel, known as "Music wire." Best source is your LHS (Local Hobby SHop) but failing that alnost any on-line supplier will be happy to sell you some 5/32" wire.

Bill.

Charlie P. 03-28-2003 03:44 AM

Deja Vu (oops, that's French - can't say that)

It's called "music" or "piano wire" and is available at all hardware and hobby stores. Spring steel is annealed (hardened) and would snap when you tried to bend it.

I always wondered what size piano would use a 5/32" string myself. Heck of a deep note!

Someone have a very similar question on the Kit Building forum.;)

craigteffe 03-28-2003 03:49 AM

gear wire

That was me I wasn't sure where to post. Thanks for the help:)

MinnFlyer 03-28-2003 03:03 PM

Landing Gear wire

And it IS a type of spring steel, although that's a rather broad catagory. Bending a coil in it isn't easy, you need a "bender" to do it (unless you have access to a large Lathe. If you do PM me and I'll tell you how I used to do them).

Also, you can't heat it to bend them (well, you can, but it will remove the temper and the metal will bend easily even when cooled).

Another method you may want to try is instead of replacing the gear with 5/32 with a coil, just replace it with 3/16.

big max 1935 03-28-2003 04:02 PM

Landing Gear wire

Takes a special tool to make the coil . Ask around maybe some one local has one . Good luck.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>big max 1935>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

CyberPilot 03-28-2003 06:36 PM

Landing Gear wire

I don't think the thick "LANDING GEAR" wire is music wire. The piano/music wire that I've seen is usually used for push rods.

Anyway, if you're looking for replacements you can buy some 5/32" wire with the coil already in it. They probably have some at your LHS. DU-Bro makes it; you can bend to your needs.

Check out these links:

Du-Bro wire

At Hobby People $2.10

At Tower Hobbies $1.99

Hope This Helps,
CyberPilot

big max 1935 03-28-2003 09:41 PM

Landing Gear wire

K+S calls it music wire all the way through 1/4". Don`t you sing grand opera when you make a good landing on your tuned music wire landing gear, maybe it`s just me & my keepers?
You can buy a coil bender from K+S for $22.95 & be a pal to all your buddies!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>big max 1935>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

mscic-RCU 03-29-2003 01:22 AM

Landing Gear wire

It is called piano wire, and Harry Higley has an inexpensive wire bender if you have a big A** vice to hold it in.

big max 1935 03-29-2003 01:55 AM

Landing Gear wire

Higley only makes benders, none to make coils. You should see the (MOAV*) I need to bend 1/4" music wire!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>big max 1935>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

*MOTHER OF ALL VISES!