RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Split Aileron Servo (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/6723462-split-aileron-servo.html)

hoggle65 12-06-2007 08:36 PM

Split Aileron Servo

Just wondering if this is possible. I have a couple of planes with a single standard sized servo to run the ailerons. I just bought a DX7 radio so I can program flaperons but that requires separate servos. Can I just put two micro servos in the space where the single standard servo is? The dimensions look right. The Futaba micro is exactly half the width of the standard. I could use a single side servo arm. I guess the real question is, would the micro servo have enought torque for something like my Electristar or Four Star.

air-madness 12-06-2007 08:42 PM

RE: Split Aileron Servo

You could, but the real question is that of torque. Depending on the size of the plane, it could work, but the overall g-force & wind resistance torgue could destroy the servos. Micro servos are not recomended for high stress situations.

There are many servos, such as the Hitec HS81, that allows the user to buy metal gear sets. The HS81 has a torque around 36ozs. I would just go with two standard servos. You can get standard analog servos for 12-13 bucks a piece.

Teachu2 12-06-2007 09:03 PM

You can - but you need servos with 24 oz/in of torque or more. Lots of guys just hog out the opening and mount 2 standard servos. The weight difference is negliable, and right at the CG. That way, you effectively double the torque.

spiral_72 12-07-2007 12:14 PM

You can get two micros that offer the torque of one standard size and I have thought of doing this exact thing. The only reason I didn't is the smaller internals and gears in a micro. That's kinda what I was worried about.

Actually I think it'd be fine, but I didn't want to find out the hard way.

sscherin 12-07-2007 01:59 PM

It's a simple bit of cutting to widen the servo mount for 2 standard servos..

I did it on my Cloud Dancer and it worked fine.
each servo used 2 of the original screw holes so I only had to make 4 new hold for the outside screws.
I used short Dubro single arms and it still fit inside the Cloud Dancer fuse.. It's not exactly a wide body..

One thing to think about..

A micro may be half the width but it's also shorter so you'll have to add a new mounting block.
That will make it harder to go back to a singe standard servo if you don't like the setup.
I guess you could make a try for the micros that screwed to the standard servo mounts.

da Rock 12-07-2007 04:55 PM

There is also a mini that is already the torque of most standards. It's Hitec's HS-225 and they call it the Mighty Mini. It's perfect as an aileron servo since it's also lighter than standards by a little over half an ounce.