RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   camera pivot (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/6880867-camera-pivot.html)

spiral_72 01-09-2008 04:27 PM

camera pivot

Ok. stupid question of the day:

I've gotta CVS cam that I've rubber banded on and packed in the canopy with foam depending on the model. It works.... alright I guess that way.

Now for the next step and before I spend any money I'd like your opinion.

Under the canopy there is a balsa floor. I think what I'd like to do is mount the camera on a servo through the floor of the cockpit.

I've gotta Airtronics 6ch. My options are:
Run the servo off the rudder channel with a Y. I don't know if that's such a good idea really for the obvious reason.
Run the servo off the two position retract switch.
Run the servo off the three position flap switch (which is in use right now, but CAN be changed)

The way I figure option #2 and #3 is the only way with my current radio. SO, you think i'd work if I got one of those servo slower-downer things I've seen advertised for the pan?
With the retract switch, I'd have left (or close to it) and 180deg right(or close to it)
With the flap switch I'd have left, center, and right.

Does it sound like a good plan? Or should I use the foam and rubber bands?

broke_n_bummin 01-09-2008 06:35 PM

RE: camera pivot

Do it off ch. 6 It's a 3 position switch, right? I removed the switch on my vanguard and installed a potentiometer from an old conquest I had laying around. I don't use it for a camera, but I like it for the flapperons.
OOOOh ... I didn't think about it till just now, but it might work if you could run a Y from an aileron servo...

spiral_72 01-10-2008 09:24 AM

ORIGINAL: broke_n_bummin

Do it off ch. 6 It's a 3 position switch, right? I removed the switch on my vanguard and installed a potentiometer from an old conquest I had laying around. I don't use it for a camera, but I like it for the flapperons.
OOOOh ... I didn't think about it till just now, but it might work if you could run a Y from an aileron servo...
I wondered about running the camera off an aileron servo. The camera would look the way the plane was banking.

Is that three position switch a switch with three resistors, one on each contact? I haven't had mine apart before. That's a good idea though.

broke_n_bummin 01-10-2008 10:28 PM

nope ... it's just a switch. But, when replacing it with a potentiometer, it's important to remember which wire is in the middle. If you get the other 2 wrong, it'll just work backwards.

Oh, if you splice it off an aileron, you're going to need a heavy duty Y from the RX. The little thin flimsy stock ones won't handle the current load.