RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   SIG Somethin' Extra Props and Servos (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/6929213-sig-somethin-extra-props-servos.html)

scwest 01-18-2008 04:06 PM

SIG Somethin' Extra Props and Servos

I have a SIG Somethin' Extra ARF with an O.S. 55AX. What prop(s) would you recommend for break-in and aerobatics? Also, what servos should I use?

Thanks,

SCW

daven 01-18-2008 04:07 PM

RE: SIG Somethin' Extra Props and Servos

Your going to have a tough time running anything over 12" in diameter if you used the stock landing gear.

ChuckW 01-18-2008 08:11 PM

With the .55-AX, you'll likely want to experiment with 12" props like an APC 12x6 or 12x7. I've found that both work well on that engine. A 12" prop will mean very little ground clearance. You'll have to run bigger wheels or different landing gear such as what Dubro sells or the SSE gear from www.tntlandinggear.com. Both will be more durable than the stock gear too.

With the stock gear, you can get away with an 11" prop. Maybe 11x7 or 11x8? I've never ran an 11" on my .55-AX but it might be worth experimenting with.

My favorite engine/prop combo on the SSE has to be a .46-AX or similar with an 11x5 APC. I'm sure the .55 will fly it every bit as good or better though.

ChuckW 01-18-2008 10:47 PM

As for servos, any good standard servo will work just fine.

scwest 01-18-2008 11:40 PM

Thanks for the info! I'll let you know which setup works the best.

SCW

ChuckW 01-19-2008 12:54 AM

I've had both the ARF SSE and I've built one from a kit. Both flew comparable. I did have a couple issues with the ARF though. First, the rudder hinges broke. The hinges included with the ARF looked more like what you see from World Models or somebody, not the typical Sig CA hinges. If you haven't already installed these, it might be worth upgrading to genuine Sig or Great Planes CA hinges. Secondly, the firewall came loose after quite a bit of flying and a lot of snap rolls. My kit built version never suffered from this because I made sure it was epoxied and supported well. Now, I check all ARF's. If necessary, I add a fillet of epoxy around the front of the firewall and epoxy some tri-stock on the back side if possible. It doesn't take much time and could save a nice airplane.

scwest 01-20-2008 10:30 PM

Aluminum or Graph Tech Composite?

ChuckW 01-20-2008 11:08 PM

I used the aluminum on mine. Taller and stronger than the stock piece.