RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   doubts about planes specs. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/731596-doubts-about-planes-specs.html)

molocas 04-29-2003 01:41 PM

doubts about planes specs.

Dear friends,

I have read in airplanes specs about fuselage lenght,
It means from tip of spinner to end of rudder?

I have read too obout wingspan,

It means span with wings mounted on the airplane?, remember
that some planes have the wings in two pieces, so the center
of the wings it`s the fuselage.

somebody could help me?

thanks a lot,
Carlos Muñoz

Charlie P. 04-29-2003 03:35 PM

That's a good question concerning fuselage length. I never really thought about it. My guess would be from the cowl or front of the engine's thrust washer to the back of the vertical or horizontal stabilizer (not including the rudder or elevator), whichever was longer. I do not think the spinner would be included. There are some very different design variations that would challange this ( A Japanese Zero, for instance, has fuselage extending even beyond the rudder).

Wingspan is easier (I think??) and would be wingtip to wingtip fully assembled. Multi-winged aircraft would count only the farthest extremes, not the total of spans.

I can start naming off planes that would disobey these simple guidelines. (FE2 Gunbus Pusher, most multi-engined planes, exposed engine planes like Stiks,

Any Aeronautical Engineers out there with definative answers?

molocas 04-29-2003 04:02 PM

Doubts about airplane specs

Hi CHarly P.,
thanks for your reply ¡ ¡ ¡

I take a Edge 540 picture from the internet and scale it to bring 64 inches wing span and the fuselage in the picture shows 54 inches lenght from top of cowling to end of rudder.
I`d like to know what do you think about this.

Carlos Muñoz.

MinnFlyer 04-29-2003 05:24 PM

That sounds about right. Wingspan is just that... How far iit is from one wingtip to the other, so the width of the fuselage is factored in. It's when you get to WING AREA that you don't count the fuse.

pinball-RCU 04-29-2003 07:04 PM

It's when you get to WING AREA that you don't count the fuse.
I either misunderstand your post, or was taught different. The part of the fuse that is either above or below the wing does count. In other words, if you have a one piece wing, all of it counts, even though some will be in or on the fuse. If you have wing halves that fit into the fuse, I assume you would then add in the fuse area between the LE and TE and count that in the "wing area". I could be wrong, but in fact all the models that I've compared the model with the manufacturer specs have worked out that way. (On the other hand, you may be saying the same thing, you don't count the parts of the fuse that are in front or behind the wing.)

molocas 04-29-2003 08:10 PM

Thanks MR. Pinball,
The fact it`s that I am going to build an airplane taking it from a picture. The airplane specs are 64 wingspan and 59 inches fuselage lenght. When I did scale the picture I assume that 64 inches wingspan would be wingtip to wing tip so the fuselage lenght at the picture is 59 inches from the tip of cowlin to the end of rudder.
Some people says that rudder doesn`t count, but rudder in the picture is 6 inches.
Thanks for hearing me.
Carlos Muñoz