RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Do you have a local hobby shop close by? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/7469860-do-you-have-local-hobby-shop-close.html)

richb1492 05-07-2008 10:36 PM

Do you have a local hobby shop close by?

The local hobby shop has been closed for 2 weeks and I sure miss him. I was wondering how many people have a shop close by or do you just use tower to order your parts.
I guess its really true you dont miss the water untill the well is dry.

ChuckW 05-07-2008 11:07 PM

RE: Do you have a local hobby shop close by?

I have one about 40 minutes away that I try to use when I can but they are more of a toy store than a hobby shop these days. They have airplane stuff in stock but not as much as I would like and they are usually out of what they do carry. I try to support them but it isn't always easy. Tower and other online retailers usually have what I need and can get it to me faster than the local hobby shop can. There are a few other better shops within a couple hours drive that I try to visit whenever I am on the road.

lrglnman 05-08-2008 06:10 AM

we are fortunate to have 2 shops here in Cookeville.

DavidAgar 05-08-2008 06:55 AM

I have a number of hobby shops that are close by. The one that is closet to me I drive by as they treated my son like crap on an exchange of some wheels and axles. Just another case of I will take my money to a store that likes to see me and I do have another 3 stores that I use. I would be lost without my local Hobby Shop. Good Luck Dave

carrellh 05-08-2008 07:14 AM

We have several shops within an hour's drive. The one I like best is the one that's an hour away. One of the close ones has been sold and the new owner changed directions and I'll probably never go there again. I also use multiple online vendors.

Lomcevak Duck 05-08-2008 07:33 AM

Where I live now, I have a great shop about an hour away. Nothing closer, and I still order about half my stuff from Tower because I can't hardly afford to drive down to his shop, and I usually get free shipping from Tower.

Acs_guitars 05-08-2008 08:01 AM

I am lucky, There are 4 hobby shops in my area and I live in the middle of them all. The farthest I have to drive is about 20 min. Going to the club field is where I have a bit of a drive [:@] Where I can spend the money is a lot closer than where I can go enjoy it.... [&:]

Steve Collins 05-08-2008 09:18 AM

Where I am there is one about 3 miles, 10 miles, and 25 miles away. I still purchase a lot of stuff online as these shops don't seem to be interested in carrying what I really need.

daveopam 05-08-2008 10:16 AM

I don't know about "close by". It's 100 miles each way. Someone in the club goes to the big city every week or so. So we all send a list.

David

mikekosatka 05-09-2008 11:15 PM

one is 1/4 mile from work that I pass every day ( and drop in about every 2-3 days, even if it's just to play with their Realflight sim. One a mile from my house that is primarily a car place, some airplane stuff. I go by 1-2 a year. A good shop about 15 minutes from my job that carrys a lot of "big bird stuff" maybe once a month, or if I need something that the closest doesn't have, and New Creations-RC ( one of the premier Electric stores in the country) is about 35-40 minutes away. The owner (Kirk) is agreat guy, and even though I don't mess with electrics much, the store is jammed floor to ceiling w/ cool stuff. I probably buy from Tower and Don's Hobby ( great service... very knowlegable about giant scale) if I am buying online. Tower can't really answer questions or give much advice, but Don is a "fountain of knowledge".
Big cities suck in some regards, but plenty of hobby shops and r/c fields here in Houston.
Mike:):):):)

pcm 05-10-2008 07:31 AM

The closest one to us here is 3 hours away. I order just abt everything we use over the net.

mclina 05-10-2008 07:57 AM

I am very lucky. I have a fantastic LHS that I drive past once or twice a day. I work at different sites in Southern NH, and as I pass between sites, I go very near to RC Buyers Warehouse, in Nashua. When I am doing a build, I am in there 3-4 times a week, and during flying season, at least once.

We have two other shops within about 30 minutes who also donate prizes to our club, and there are at least two others, who mostly carry train stuff, but where you can get basic stuff in a pinch.

Gray Beard 05-10-2008 08:05 PM

When I lived in Calif the answer was A big NO. Sense I moved here to the Vegas area it's A Giant YES!!! Just today I visited three of them over by the strip. There are two other ones just east of me. Of the three I went to today one of them is the best I have been in sense the 60s, one is really very good and one is A bit better then the two on the east side of town. I'm in LHS heaven here.
I still do quite A bit of mail order stuff but it's for things like paint, Klass Kote and bearings, Boca then I do A lot of shopping for servos and radio gear but let my LHS meet or beat the prices I find.
Can't tell you how nice it is to have these choices close at hand.:D

ChuckW 05-10-2008 08:26 PM

GrayBeard... I will be in Las Vegas toward the end of June, PM me the names of those shops if you don't mind. I will have a lot of free time on my hands while the other half is at some conference and I can't spend the whole time gambling or in the gentleman's club. Not that I would ever partake in such endeavors...

TakingFlight96 05-11-2008 02:15 AM

Theres a small hobby shop 10 minutes away. The shop has cars, trains, planes, trucks, etc. They usually have everything you need, but, if they don't, its a 30 minute drive down to Hobby Town USA in Rockford. On occasion my dad will order something from Tower.

TakingFlight96

JohnBuckner 05-11-2008 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

GrayBeard... I will be in Las Vegas toward the end of June, PM me the names of those shops if you don't mind. I will have a lot of free time on my hands while the other half is at some conference and I can't spend the whole time gambling or in the gentleman's club. Not that I would ever partake in such endeavors...

Nice Twice hobbies (702) 876 2280

LAS seems to average about four to five LHS's all the time and they do tend to come and go. I think there are currently two Hobbytown and two Hobbypeople bubble pack stores and Nice Twice hobbies.

If you visit only one place do not miss Nice Twice hobbies it is a vacation destination in itself for any modeler. Off the beaten path in a warehouose district it is huge and filled to the warehouse ceiling with new stuff old stuff and everything imaginable new and used with only tiny trails through the warehouse to walk and explore.

John

yel914 05-12-2008 06:08 AM

In Salt Lake City, we have SOME DUDES HOBBIES and are very lucky to have them! Also worth the drive north is EARL'S HOBBIES in Logan Utah. I have also been to MODEL LAND HOBBIES in Calgary, Alberta on a business trip recently. Largest selection of kits I've seen in years.

telejojo 05-12-2008 06:21 AM

We are lucky to have a great hobby shop R/C HOBBIES big store with everything (planes,cars helis,parts and hardware) or he will match Tower or anybody's price.

bigchap 05-12-2008 11:20 AM

i have 2 within a 15 mile radius,one is owned and run by a freak who carries very little stock and the other has loads of stock but has no knowledgeable staff since i resigned as manager!,there was one 5 miles from me who was a great guy with good stock levels but he emigrated to the u.s. to become a flight instructor!.i buy online now.

Gray Beard 05-12-2008 08:42 PM

John, I hit Chuck back with A PM or email. Nice is first on the list but just A few blocks away we have A very good Hobby People and Hobby Town. Chuck and I are from the same area kinda sorta and I used to have to go down the hill, about an hour and A half drive to get to his LHS and about A 50 minute drive to mine.
Here in the Veags area these two shops, Hp and HT both cater A lot more to aircraft people then the shop in Fresno and WAY more then the LHS in Merced.
For those going to look in Nice Twice, wear old clothing so you can get on your hands and knees and get A good look in every corner and nook because there are always treasures to be found for those that aren't shy.:D The place is just Plane Fun to go into and if they say they will order something for you it really gets ordered.
Can't say how nice it is to have A place like this close at hand!! Even has A nice gentelmans club right down the street for when you get tired of looking at airplanes!!:)

ChuckW 05-12-2008 10:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard
Even has A nice gentelmans club right down the street for when you get tired of looking at airplanes!!:)
Excellent. Gotta have someplace to go and get out of the desert heat. I should probably just stick to looking at the airplanes. They are a heck of a lot cheaper and less hassle over the long run. Plus, they never want to just talk.

I try to visit hobby shops whenever I travel. I'm usually disappointed because I just find a poorly stocked Hobbytown or something but you occasionally find some nice places.

Flying freak 05-13-2008 06:15 AM

I have one thats about a three minute walk, only problem is everything has to be ordered for the planes. I DO mean everything like if you want 6-32 cap head screws you will have them in next week [:'(]

But hes a great guy to work with ....

Steven

Tango Juliet 05-13-2008 07:23 AM

I now live just two and a half miles from a HobbyTown:D. It's a double-edged sword though[&o]. Whenever I need something, I can easily get it. However, I can also easily get the things I don't need. I've been known to stop in three times in the same day, because I rarely make a complete list of the things I need and have to go back[:@].

SoCalSal 05-14-2008 08:42 AM

ORIGINAL: richb1492

The local hobby shop has been closed for 2 weeks and I sure miss him. I was wondering how many people have a shop close by or do you just use tower to order your parts.
I guess its really true you don't miss the water until the well is dry.
I have a Hobby People within a couple of miles. I use it rarely due to the lack of good employees it has. Most are young kids that are very good at RC cars but lack anything but basic knowledge on aircraft. Their stock status on many items I would like is very poor at most times, things like basic tubing and balsa. Always out of the sizes I need. So if I need some glue I will go and buy it from them. Now on the other hand there is another Hobby People about 25 miles away that is in much better condition as far as their stock is concerned. But if I have to drive 50 miles round trip these days it is easier for me to just order from Tower and have the stuff sent out. Usually the cost is less as well if you figure in your time.
I would love to support my LHS but in turn they have to have the stock on hand for me to want to due business with them.the employees I can deal with, but the crappy condition of the store I won't deal with. If you want my business then you have to earn it.

Gray Beard 05-14-2008 12:42 PM

Ah Sal, the people behind the counter. One shop I deal with has A man giving out very sage advice to all the people in the store. We all just enjoy hearing him. Then you find out he only flies A 40 size ARF with his 4 ch radio and his sage advice just makes the grins bigger. I find that part of the fun unless you see someone new taking it all in then it turns into A bit of A problem. :eek: