RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Engine Break in Stand. Don't need to buy one! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/7866725-engine-break-stand-dont-need-buy-one.html)

LuftwaffeOberst 08-20-2008 01:32 PM

Engine Break in Stand. Don't need to buy one!

:D Instead of paying $100- $200 for a Break in Stand for my new Glow Engines, I looked around my house and became creative. I had a broken vanity mirror frame, stain, AP glue and wood screws and I thought... " I can do this."

I didn't draw any plans... I just slaped this thing together right out my head, I didn't even use a ruler.

Everything was eyeballed, I went outside and I found a cheap wood stool sitting outside very weathered with some dry rot. I sanded it down, got rid of the rotted parts and replaced the rusted screws, and put 3 coats of stain on it.

I used a old CMP Focke Wolf ARF engine mount and fire wall, some dowels and some cheap hardware I got from some of the Arfs I had bought from the past, and I put this all together.

This is what the final result looks like. [8D]

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t/standsde.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...tandlftsde.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...st/standbk.jpg

It works great... I just have to put my foot on the back end of the stool or a hand on top to keep the stool from falling forward when I gun the throttle with a .61 or larger engine on it.

I have my new Evo.61 NX on the stand in the photo... I have a Evo.46 in it now, I just re-built the motor and I need to test it next. :D I like saving money! Neat Eh?

Luftwaffe Oberst
Radio Aero Modelers Club
District II
Pulaski, NY

Supporter of RedNeck R/C - Fulton, NY

Villa 08-20-2008 02:21 PM

RE: Engine Break in Stand. Don't need to buy one!

That is quite the project. If nothing ever goes wrong in your life it should work well for you. In my case, I see it as a disaster waiting to happen. On at least two occasions I have started an engine when the throttle was wide open. If that will never happen to you all should be OK.

fancman 08-20-2008 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: LuftwaffeOberst

:D Instead of paying $100- $200 for a Break in Stand for my new Glow Engines, I looked around my house and became creative. I had a broken vanity mirror frame, stain, AP glue and wood screws and I thought... " I can do this."

How about an eye bolt screwed into the bottom of the stool seat and one of those screw anchors for tents or something screwed into the ground beneath the stool. A short length of heavy duty bungee cord should hold everything in place just fine. Easy to set up and take down.:D

LuftwaffeOberst 08-20-2008 03:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Villa

That is quite the project. If nothing ever goes wrong in your life it should work well for you. In my case, I see it as a disaster waiting to happen. On at least two occasions I have started an engine when the throttle was wide open. If that will never happen to you all should be OK.

I always check the throttle position before starting my engines, plus I keep a hand on the bracket just behind the tank. It's not a disaster as long as I pay attention and take my time. I fly small and full size aircraft and I check, re-check and if I'm not sure I check again. It's a very good habit to get into.

I'm the type of guy who has built things that didn't work. The last engine test stand ripped apart when I used my hand starter. [X(] I learned a few things as a result. And yes, I still have all my body parts.

How about an eye bolt screwed into the bottom of the stool seat and one of those screw anchors for tents or something screwed into the ground beneath the stool. A short length of heavy duty bungee cord should hold everything in place just fine. Easy to set up and take down.
That's a great idea! I do tilt the stool back to find my perfect high end adjustment. This is after adjusting the high end from really rich ( almost 4 Stroke sound, to 2 Stroke sound) back and fourth at full throttle, then I'll idle the motor on and off until two tanks of fuel have been exhausted, then I make my final adjustments.

The only bad thing about this test stand is I get oil soaked standing behind the motor, now I know what my planes feel like! It was all over my face and clothing.[sm=lol.gif]

I also figured out what glow fuel tastes like... I licked my lips while I was cleaning up my tools and it tasted terrible![sm=52_52.gif]

I thank you two for your compliments, and thank's Fancman for your fantastic idea! I also designed it so I can un-screw the engine stand from the stool... and I can clamp or screw it to a work bench once my wife and I get a garage.

Luftwaffe Oberst
Radio Aero Modelers Club
District II
Pulaski, NY

Jester241 08-20-2008 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now all you need is an engine for it!!!

LOL....ok sorry........I just hate evolutions after the one I had,so I just had to say that! :D

And $100-$200 for an engine stand!? I used to make and sell engine stands and sold them for less then 50....nice ones too! See.....

dhal22 08-21-2008 05:48 AM

you just happened to have a weathered stool laying around outside?

exeter_acres 08-21-2008 06:46 AM

whats an engine stand?
;)

I break mine in on the airframe..........

DavidAgar 08-21-2008 06:56 AM

Nice stand indeed. I have to admit that I am old school as well. Mine get broke in while in the air flying the plane. Good Luck, Dave

bkdavy 08-21-2008 09:11 AM

I have built a new test stand for every engine I purchased. Each stand came with wings, wheels, and radio equipment.:D

I find this method to be optimal for ensuring the engine is properly tuned for the fuel tank setup!

Brad

Gray Beard 08-21-2008 10:04 AM

Jester, that one looks like something I would use. This item on A stool????? I don't think so!:eek:

Jetdesign 08-21-2008 11:03 AM

My engine stand is a plane, dog leash, and a ground steak. Works great!

Jburry 08-21-2008 11:55 AM

I usually hack a pair of mounting beams from a piece of hardwood, and jury rig a throttle linkage and a fuel tank. Most of my engines are second hand, and I like to know it's a goer before I build a plane for'em. Takes me longer to find decent engine mount screws than to make a stand.

C-clamp and a picknic table work better than that stool.

J

LuftwaffeOberst 08-21-2008 01:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Jester241

Now all you need is an engine for it!!!

LOL....ok sorry........I just hate evolutions after the one I had,so I just had to say that! :D

And $100-$200 for an engine stand!? I used to make and sell engine stands and sold them for less then 50....nice ones too! See.....

I've had good luck with my Evo's, and bad luck with them. The ones I had good results with I broke them in first, and tightened every allen bolt down, and re-sat the Carb.

The ones I had bad luck with, I just ran it in my plane without break in... left it as is. I know the Evo doesn't like foamy glow fuel, so it's best not to have any extra vibration. Also, I get rid of the Glow Plug after break in and replace it with a new one.

Very nice engine stand indeed!

Gray Beard Date 8/21/2008 4:04:55 PM
Jester, that one looks like something I would use. This item on A stool????? I don't think so!
Actually it works fine, looks can be decieving. I'm one of those who believe... if it works, use it.

dhal22 Date 8/21/2008 11:48:27 AM
you just happened to have a weathered stool laying around outside?
Yep, I live out in the sticks, looked on the side of the house and there was some junk laying around from previous renters. My wife and I aren't privilaged enough to own a house, so we rent. One mans junk is another mans treasure.

Jburry Date 8/21/2008 5:55:23 PM
I usually hack a pair of mounting beams from a piece of hardwood, and jury rig a throttle linkage and a fuel tank. Most of my engines are second hand, and I like to know it's a goer before I build a plane for'em. Takes me longer to find decent engine mount screws than to make a stand.

C-clamp and a picknic table work better than that stool.

J

Both work great... just mine is a little un-orthodox.

I don't have to abuse my plane while breaking in any motor, or worry about the risk of dead sticks as much. I finally decided to build this stand because I want to have my engines adjusted and broken in before putting them in my planes. ;) We spend a lot of money in our hobby, why take chances?

Luftwaffe Oberst
Radio Aero Modelers Club
District II
Pulaski, NY

David Bathe 08-21-2008 03:21 PM

Got to say, that looks like a fun build.
Having said that, it appears as the most dangerous break in stand I'v e ever seen. Not to mention complex.
What ever happened to the ol' 12" x 6"x 1/3" bit of marine ply?
Cut a divet out to fit the engine. A couple of bolts. A couple of G clamps to fix it to a table, work mate, fence... what ever?

LuftwaffeOberst 08-21-2008 04:01 PM

ORIGINAL: David Bathe

Got to say, that looks like a fun build.
Having said that, it appears as the most dangerous break in stand I'v e ever seen. Not to mention complex.
What ever happened to the ol' 12" x 6"x 1/3" bit of marine ply?
Cut a divet out to fit the engine. A couple of bolts. A couple of G clamps to fix it to a table, work mate, fence... what ever?

It was a fun build David. [8D] JMO all stands can be dangerous, it all depends how well it's built and how careless the operator is that makes it more dangerous or not. I wouldn't fly a Fisher 505 Ultra-light, or any Ultra-light Aircraft if the plane sat out in the elements for two years uncovered, or do any of my many checks... I'd be just asking for it. I treat everything... even my engine stand the same way.

If it's not safe, I don't use it.

The whole frame of the break in stand has been AP Glued and screwed together, It is very strong. I'll try and upload a video later of it in action. All I have to do is keep my hand on it, and stand behind it. On bigger engines than the .61 I put my foot on the lower bar of the stool. My .46, all I need is a finger on the frame to keep it down. Don't forget I designed it just in case I didn't have a table around to clamp it down, or if I wanted to help a friend at my field break in a new engine.

When I unscrew it all from the stool and clamp or screw it down on a work bench, picnic table or any large table... I can walk away from it, not that I want to. [sm=71_71.gif]

Thank you all for the great compliments.[sm=wink_smile.gif]

Luftwaffe Oberst
Radio Aero Modelers Club
District II
Pulaski, NY

Jester241 08-21-2008 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Jester, that one looks like something I would use. This item on A stool????? I don't think so!:eek:

That picture was sent to me by a customer and it looked so good(not the stool,lol) that I used it for advertising,lol. So I dont know where he found that stool or table or whatever it is. But,besides........your supposed to be looking at the stand!!!...not the stool! lol

And as far as breaking engines in in the plane..........Its too much of a mess cleaning all the oil off the plane when breaking them in in the plane. And its just alot easier to figure out each engines tuning charactaristics on a stand. And when you fly alot of different type of engines like I do,it comes in handy. Some engines take awhile to figure out how to get them running right. And its been my experience that you cant tune all engines the same way. Super Tigers in particular are a different breed,but tuned right,their one of my favorite engine. Their just usually weird in that you have adjust the low speed needle in conjuction with the high speed were as on an OS,the low needle usually doesnt affect the high and vise versa. I guess guys who like to use stand just like to play around with engines alot more. I like to take cheaper engines that most guys say are a waste of money and make them work as reliable and well as your O.S.'s and the likes. And these cheaper engines usually take alot more futzing with to get tuned,but for half the price thier usually more then worth it.

perreback 08-22-2008 01:02 PM

The only bad thing about this test stand is I get oil soaked standing behind the motor, now I know what my planes feel like! It was all over my face and clothing.[sm=lol.gif]

With a sturdier break in stand, you have the option of using a receiver and a throttle servo, thus doing away with the need to stand near the engine all the time. Now, if somebody could figure out a way to adjust the needles via the transmitter... :D

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...ack/Saito1.jpg

bkdavy 08-23-2008 09:30 AM

Their just usually weird in that you have adjust the low speed needle in conjuction with the high speed were as on an OS,the low needle usually doesnt affect the high and vise versa.
Actually, ALL engines need to have the high speed needle readjusted when you adjust the low speed needle. It may not be a large adjustment, but it is essential to reset the high speed in order to properly check the low speed.

Brad

LuftwaffeOberst 08-26-2008 09:38 AM

ORIGINAL: bkdavy

Their just usually weird in that you have adjust the low speed needle in conjuction with the high speed were as on an OS,the low needle usually doesnt affect the high and vise versa.
Actually, ALL engines need to have the high speed needle readjusted when you adjust the low speed needle. It may not be a large adjustment, but it is essential to reset the high speed in order to properly check the low speed.

Brad

That's so true.

Marty... the owner of RedNeck R/C told me if I were to build another Engine Test Stand, that I should attach it to my small row boat.

That way when I go fishing, I don't need to row so much. [sm=lol.gif]

Luftwaffe Oberst
Radio Aero Modelers Club
District II
Pulaski, NY

Supporter of RedNeck R/C- Fulton, NY

kid chuckles 08-27-2008 06:32 AM

Looks like if you bolted wings on it it just might fly. I like the build it yourself mentality. I used two wooden stakes tie wrapped the engine mount to them clamped them down and had my stand. Don't use it much though. But right now having some problems with a Saito 125 that i never before had problems with. Had it right yesterday and went out to show my buddy how good i had it running and would not start again. So will probabaly put it on a stand and get it back right. I never moved anything from before it was running right, just removed the cowl and installed a onboard glow. And then put cowl back on and it just would not and is not right anymore. But good work on your stand and maybe think about a better table for it lol.