RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Balancing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/7911073-balancing.html)

rheauljj 09-02-2008 06:52 AM

Balancing

I know how to balance my plane for the CG (horizontal for the sake of the next question).

My question is on balancing the vertical. How can this be done? I feel that my plane cork screws through loops and thought maybe my plane is off balance (right to left or vice versa).

Advice?

MajorTomski 09-02-2008 07:32 AM

RE: Balancing

Take the spinner off the propeller, support the plane by the engine shaft and the bottom of the fuselage. If it rolls over, support it by the prop shaft and the top of the fuselage. Whichever way it leans consitently, add weight to the light wing tip.

But before you do that.

Are you sure the plane is trimmed properly when doing a loop? Are you sure you're only inputing elevator and not some aileron?

Gringo Flyer 09-02-2008 07:39 AM

Although it could be balance I would lean more towards a trim problem.

What does it do in a straight vertical climb?

rheauljj 09-02-2008 08:17 AM

Gringo & Major,

I'm inputing only elevator when initiating a loop.

When in a straight vertical climb the plane tends to dip to the right as it loses airspeed. I can correct the angle with a little rudder to the left. Would this be a trim issue more than a balance issue?

carrellh 09-02-2008 10:30 AM

Since checking the lateral balance only takes a few minutes, and costs nothing, I think you should do that first. If the balance is good, then start looking for trim issues, warps, etc.

dbacque 09-02-2008 10:47 AM

The best way to check lateral balance is in flight. Trim for straight and level flight. Make some long straight passes without touching the ailerons to verify that the plane is accurately trimmed.

Now make some long straight passes inverted, again trying to stay off the aileron. Observe what the plane does in roll. If the plane rolls right, the left wing is heavy, add weight to the right wing. Left roll inverted, the right wing is heavy, add weight to the left wing.

Repeat until the plane doesn't tend to roll when inverted.

It's very easy and much more accurate than static balancing.

Dave

Clint H 09-02-2008 11:00 AM

You might also take a look at your elevator and make sure it's not warped, or, if you have dual elevator halves, make sure they are moving equally.
Does the plane always roll in the same direction in the loop, or does it randomly roll either left or right?

I friend of mine had this same problem. We tried everything except checking the lateral balance. Finally, when we did check and fix that, it solved the whole problem.

Good luck,
Clint

ErikElvis 09-02-2008 11:57 AM

how exactly do you add weight to the wings? where do you put it and how?

dbacque 09-02-2008 12:11 PM

When I have to add weight to a wing tip I just use stick on lead and stick it to the bottom of the wing tip. Sounds terrible but you hardly ever see it.

Dave