RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   *Glow Fuel Price & Availablity* (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/7913645-%2Aglow-fuel-price-availablity%2A.html)

Zippi 09-02-2008 07:52 PM

*Glow Fuel Price & Availablity*

I went to the local hobby shop after work today to buy some fuel like I always have. Byrons 10% nitro and 20% oil. I was told today that he will no longer be selling fuel. He said the price is to high and he doen't want to get stuck with a lot of fuel that may not sell at those prices. Now I'm going to have to cross the state line and try in KY somewhere to see if I can find fuel. Anyone else having this problem???

Gray Beard 09-02-2008 08:57 PM

RE: *Fuel Price & Availablity*

Nope, lots of it and the prices haven't even gone up too much, one buck on 15% and three bucks on 20%. I get mine at Hobby People when on sale and stock up.The Olympics are over and we should be seeing the flow of Nitro again real soon. Just maybe unlike the gas prices our glow fuel prices may even go back to normal?? R I G H T!!!!!!!

JPMacG 09-02-2008 10:02 PM

Yes, Morgan's 20% nitro has gone up 40% at my LHS. It is now $28 per gal. I'm holding off till spring to buy more fuel. I'll make do with what I have for now. I can understand that a hobby shop would not want to get stuck if the price comes back down.

flyfish28 09-04-2008 07:15 AM

O.K. here's my story...... I'm here in Montana for the summer and do not return to Arizona until Oct. I don't fly here (flyfishing only) I have heard about the fuel shortage and went into Bozeman yesterday and stopped at the LHS to buy some 15%. The lady there told me that the airplane fuel was available but she would not purchase any (Byrons) because she would have to get $45.00 per gallon for it and nobody there would buy it at that price! She did'nt say what her cost was.

When I returned home and saw Tower had Cool Power Omega (15%) at $102.99 per case (4 gallons) but it said LIMITED QUANITIES. I called and went ahead and purchased a case for about $132.00 with the Haz-Mat shipping. I told the girl that took my order what the Bozeman hobby shop had told me. She said that she is not surprised at the price and hinted that maybe all airplane fuel (15%) would be at that price soon. She further said that only one company was making nitromethane now and most of that was going to NASCAR!

I checked Tower this A.M. and saw that the Omega that I ordered yesterday was "Order Pending" again![:o]

I do not want to go electric and won't. I may have to pay the higher prices in the future but I hope the availability is there and not have to start searching months ahead for fuel. The 4-gallons I purchased will get me through most of the winter flying if I cut my flying time in half.

Hopefully this problem will take care of itself but the prices will probably never go down!

Thanks

ivyspoppy 09-04-2008 07:39 AM

Nitro does not go to NASCAR they run on gasoline only, Its going to Drag racing

Gray Beard 09-04-2008 08:47 AM

This is what I have found out about it so far, take it or leave it because this is off the net stuff. There are three main places making Nitro, two in the USA and one in China, guess what one most of our RC Fuel makers use?? The plant in China was closed down for the big Os, almost A year before the event. They closed down all manufacturing plants and private autos for something like 100 miles around the city trying to clean up the air. The big Os are over but I haven't found out yet if they are going to allow all these places to start back up producing there products and the smog. We will see. Right now I have been getting my PowerMaster 15% for 16 bucks A jug at Hobby People when they have there sale. Yesterday I was in my LHS and they had both PowerMaster and Omega and his prices only went up 2 bucks. Kinda makes you wonder about some of these places. FAI is easy to make and cheap, soon it may be the way to go if things don't go back to normal.

Zippi 09-04-2008 12:08 PM

I went to all gas last summer. Guess I should have stayed there.