RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   need advice over plans (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/7933597-need-advice-over-plans.html)

sir crashallot 09-08-2008 03:51 PM

need advice over plans

Right i see allot of people like to use auto cad when looking at plans or using it for other things involving models.
my main reason and question is

i have over 1500 rc aircraft plans from electric models to scale twin engined models documented in pdf files and also done in auto cad files. and they are all emailable

my question is would i be breaking any laws in offering a service to people on here by offering the plan of there choice in pdf and auto cad format sent via email and for me to charge $4.00 or alternativly they could make a small donation made payable through paypal which would go towards equipment i need to get back into this hobby. 90% dont have copyrights and the other 10% do so i doubt id be able to do it without geting in trouble.

and if i was able to do it where would i be able to post the list of plans on here without breaking any rc universe forum rules.

sorry if this question has been placed in the wrong forum. but any help would be great

KitBuilder 09-08-2008 05:19 PM

RE: need advice over plans

Sounds like the 90% you can do and post a note in the kitbiulding or scratchbuilding areas every couple weeks and direct them to e-bay. However, there a few "free" law sites on the web where yoiu can post questions and get answers. I have done so and it's usually a 1 to 2 day turnaround time. Also check for other less 'formal" sites where legal questions are answered for "entreprenuers" free of charge by retired executives, lawyers, etc as well.

sir crashallot 09-08-2008 05:33 PM

great thanks for taking the time to reply to my question as it is much appreciated.

RCKen 09-08-2008 05:38 PM

This is going to be a very tricky subject as far as RCU is concerned. Our rules are very clear in that you cannot conduct business here in our forums. And even if you are only charging for handling it is considered doing business and will not be allowed here.

Additionally, if any of the plans you are dealing with are copyrighted you will be in violation of copyright laws by reproducing them.

Ken

sir crashallot 09-08-2008 05:49 PM

Yes i realise that the copyright ones cannot be reproduced or resold or printed off without permision from the copyright owner. they have been set asside from my list. thank you for pointing it out though,

i also realise from what you are saying i could not sell them in any forum, so could i be cheeky to ask one more question.
would i be breaking any of rcu rules and regs if i was to put under my username (where allot of people put phrases and links to websites,) plans emailed for a small fee or donation, message me.
As i dont want to be in violation of any rules,
and again thanks for everyones time in this subject

RCKen 09-08-2008 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: sir crashallot

i also realise from what you are saying i could not sell them in any forum, so could i be cheeky to ask one more question.
would i be breaking any of rcu rules and regs if i was to put under my username (where allot of people put phrases and links to websites,) plans emailed for a small fee or donation, message me.
Absolutely not. That violates RCU rules about doing commercial business in the forums.

In addition, if you are conducting business in any business involved with this hobby you must identify yourself as being a commercial entity in the hobby in your signature line. An example of this disclosure statement would be:

"John Doe
Owner - XYZ Plans, Inc."

Ken

CoosBayLumber 09-10-2008 08:22 AM

Probably simpliest way to initially handle things is to set you your own web site. Then advertise your web site. Then you can add or subtract good ones, slow sellers or controversial ones any day of the week. Presume that you already considered this.

But hardest part is to get noticed and then get folks to visit your site and take a look through. That is what violates the RCU policy, by overtly or subtly aiming persons to your site. "Lookie here..... at me. Visit my URL and .... ". Much as the major advertisers do. There are a few individuals who come out with a "Watch me build this"... thread, or "Now taking reservations for".... type of sly announcement. These go in under the radar often in certain forums.

Presume that you have gone through "Uncle-Willies" web site and are trying to imitate that system.

Wm.