RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   do you listen to music while building. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/8314098-do-you-listen-music-while-building.html)

sir crashallot 01-03-2009 05:17 PM

do you listen to music while building.

Does anyone build while listning to a cd or the tv. Iv always found it very relaxing sat there building away with my ipod on. anyone else do the same or am i the odd one out.
if you do listen to music do you have a paticular album or faverite you use all the time and what is it. i cant build unless i have my ipod at hand to drown out the silence of the room i work in

vicman 01-03-2009 05:22 PM

RE: do you listen to music while building.

I suffer from tinnitus (ringing ears) and need noise all the time. Usually I have the TV on while in the shop. My wife got me some wireless headphones so my tv doesn't keep her awake if she goes to bed first.

sir crashallot 01-03-2009 05:26 PM

its the same when im drawing up a plan for a plane i have to have music. but if i am trying to figure a problem out i need absolute silence. i also tend to get more building done ina few hours when i have the music on:D

Jetdesign 01-03-2009 05:31 PM

Absolutely. Wouldn't have it any other way;)

sir crashallot 01-03-2009 05:38 PM

ORIGINAL: vicman

I suffer from tinnitus (ringing ears) and need noise all the time.

sorry to hear about that. but glad that music helps

chashint 01-03-2009 06:10 PM

Sports talk radio. or a game.

khodges 01-03-2009 06:19 PM

I like music when I build, but sometimes I don't miss it if it's not on. I listen to lots of different stuff, from Enya to Waylon and Willie, to Led Zeppelin. Gotta cut back on Waylon and Willie, though. My last airplane wound up looking like a pickup truck.:)

vicman 01-03-2009 06:32 PM

Too much Enya will lead to toe rings on your main gear[X(]

I mainly listen to the tv. History channel, Discovery, the Shield (it's gone now), I even like Battlestar Galactica DVDs[8D]

Jetdesign 01-03-2009 06:38 PM

ORIGINAL: khodges
...Gotta cut back on Waylon and Willie, though. My last airplane wound up looking like a pickup truck.:)
Hahahahaha! "Now that's funny right there, I don't care who 'ya are!"

I can relate to the ringing. I"ll go nuts if I don't have music on. Just got a 'new' Coldplay CD (parachutes) from the used CD store - relaxing, but a bit short! I just listened to the whole CD and all I got done was epoxying 4 hinge halfs into a wing!

Zippi 01-03-2009 06:40 PM

Good ole CW when I'm out in the garage working on a plane.

chashint 01-03-2009 06:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)

I like music when I build, but sometimes I don't miss it if it's not on. I listen to lots of different stuff, from Enya to Waylon and Willie, to Led Zeppelin. Gotta cut back on Waylon and Willie, though. My last airplane wound up looking like a pickup truck.:)
LOL... but has one ever ended up looking like a John Deere tractor ?????????

nekked_man_2000 01-03-2009 07:28 PM

Yes, I like addrienne legg (SP?) He's a cool guitar player, no vocals, just acoustic guitar. Sometimes I'll listen to Leo Kottke or classic rock....I also have lots of Doc Watson and other flatpickers, but when I listen to that it makes me want to point down the glue and grab my geetar and play along....I wouldn't even know where to start with leo kottke or Legg.

Austin

AirWizard 01-03-2009 08:32 PM

Give me Classic Rock & Roll

Ram Jet 01-03-2009 08:33 PM

Leo's Machine #2? Yes. I t may not be good to build by though.

Bill

JCOKEEFE 01-03-2009 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: vicman

I suffer from tinnitus (ringing ears) and need noise all the time. Usually I have the TV on while in the shop. My wife got me some wireless headphones so my tv doesn't keep her awake if she goes to bed first.
[8D]I have been suffering from the same for years. Fortunately, thus far, somehow I am able to "tune it out". I
am generally not bothered by it unless I am in a totally quiet environment.

I have been told that, currently, there is no cure for this.

For the rest of you out there, don't let yourselves be continuously exposed to loud and/or high frequency noise for extended periods of time.

JCOKEEFE 01-03-2009 08:55 PM

ORIGINAL: chashint

[8D]Your Hog looks great!!

Ram Jet 01-03-2009 08:55 PM

Yeah, music, CNN or Discovery Channel. My music can run from early Motown to Hendrix, Zepplin, Cream, Joan Baez, Judy Collins. I'm all over the place music wise. Yes, background noise helps.

Bill

chashint 01-03-2009 09:00 PM

Thanks Jerry,
When I started the kit it was supposed to be a Super Sportster 60 though ;)

sir crashallot 01-03-2009 09:06 PM

well i listen to cascada, metalica, queen, bon jovi, even scottish bagpipes and so on. theres more but i dont wana bore you lot.

Gray Beard 01-03-2009 10:01 PM

Almost never during a build, most of my planes are built from old plans and I need to do a lot of that thinking stuff. Covering on the other hand is another story. My neighbors love me when I'm covering, they stand out in the street and shake there fists at me yelling to turn it up, I think that's what they are saying?? I hoist up my bottle of beer and wave to them through the window and smile while they sing my parises, I'm sure that's what they are doing. I had to leave my old sound system I had in my shop when I moved here, I sure miss those old JBLs, I just can't seem to feel the music the way I used to with this new fangled Boom Box thing. :D

Jetdesign 01-03-2009 10:17 PM

ugh, I can relate. just had to settle for a $20 boom box from wallmart, and I just found it just doesn't do the incredible genius of Trey Anastasio and Phish any justice. I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow...

JCOKEEFE 01-03-2009 10:25 PM

Thanks Jerry,
When I started the kit it was supposed to be a Super Sportster 60 though ;)
[8D]I knew that!!! OOps!!

MinnFlyer 01-03-2009 11:21 PM

Music, no.

TV, yes.

Jetdesign 01-03-2009 11:25 PM

Haha, now nothing runs OR FLIES like a Deere! Nice;)

WhiteRook 01-03-2009 11:38 PM

definately do , lately , weather report , family , west , bruce and lang, rory gallagher, traffic
cream , john mayall . mostly the good old stuff. i play bass , and my amp is on the other
wall from my building board.