RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   receiver choices (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/8603797-receiver-choices.html)

snobelt 03-22-2009 12:34 PM

receiver choices

My radio is an Airtronics RDS8000 FHSS (2.4 Ghz). This radio is an 8 channel system with 10 model memory. I have a couple planes that only require four channels and would like to use less expensive receivers for them. The Airtronics 8 ch receiver is $80.00. I have asked this question on other threads and gotten mixed responses - are there other receiver brands that will work with this radio? I currently have 2 receivers and I know I can move them from plane to plane but would much rather have receivers fixed in each plane. Thanks.

d_bodary 03-22-2009 04:25 PM

RE: receiver choices

No other brands will work. Airtronics 2.4 with Airtronics 2.4
Just be glad the receiver is not a hundred dollars.

Mode One 03-22-2009 04:31 PM

I agree, at this time your only choice is an Airtronic 92824 receiver. I have been able to pick them up on Ebay for around $65.00. because the coding is specific to Airtronics, no other reciever will work. This is a good thing, as it means no other transmitter can communicate with your receiver!

snobelt 03-22-2009 05:58 PM

ok - thanks. guess I'll look at e-bay.

Jetdesign 03-22-2009 07:55 PM

Airtronics is due to come out with more receivers at some point, just not sure when. There should be some mini/micro receivers in the lineup, etc.

temejin 03-22-2009 09:05 PM

A 6 and 7 ch receiver supposedly by June.
http://mikegoesflying.wordpress.com/...dule-official/

blvdbuzzard 03-22-2009 09:46 PM

Join the club. I love my (2) RDS8000's. I also have 20 plus planes waiting for Rx's. I just do not see the need to put an 8 channel in a 2 channel slope soarer or an 8 channel in a 4 channel trainer. Can not wait until they start hitting the shelves with the new 4 and 6 channel Rx's.

The good thing is the 8 channel is about 1/2 the cost of other brands of 2.4G Rx's.

Dru.

temejin 03-23-2009 10:00 AM

I'm looking for 5 at the moment and 3 more later in the year myself. Kind of makes you wonder just how serious Airtronics/Global will be on trying to gain 2.4ghz marketshare. Here's hoping for them to use "aggressive" pricing.

-pkh- 03-23-2009 10:26 AM

That's one of the main reasons I went with Spektrum, they have several receiver choices.

With 72MHz radios, as long as you were just using PPM, you could buy the TX that you like the best, and then buy any brand of receiver that suited your particular planes. With 2.4GHz, you are locked into a brand when you buy the TX, so it's critical that you consider receiver choices and cost, especially if you want to convert several planes/helis.

carlosponti 03-23-2009 12:14 PM

if you are organized enough you can just use the 2 receivers i believe just make each receiver easy to remove and reinstall when you fly a particular plane. thats what i do with my futaba i have the channels color coded on the servo lead then i can swap them out when i need to in about 5 minutes. i never fly more than 2 at one time. with spectrum you cant do that however because of model match. you just have to make sure you have enough model memory for each airplane. mine has ten and I don't have that many planes right now. futaba choice is aweful as well. they have a 7 channel for 99.99 6 channel with micro connectors(which no one uses) for 65 and a 4 channel (49) that has really limited range(though for parkflyers i have heard the range isn't as bad as originally stated). for some reason my LHS had the 7 channel for 89.99 not sure how they managed to be 10 bucks cheaper than tower but they were.

Mode One 03-23-2009 02:48 PM

ORIGINAL: -pkh-

That's one of the main reasons I went with Spektrum, they have several receiver choices.

With 72MHz radios, as long as you were just using PPM, you could buy the TX that you like the best, and then buy any brand of receiver that suited your particular planes. With 2.4GHz, you are locked into a brand when you buy the TX, so it's critical that you consider receiver choices and cost, especially if you want to convert several planes/helis.
Airtronics has less the 10% of the market share and the RDS8000 has been out, for what, 6-8 months? New products for their 2.4 radios will be coming out! Since the R/C market is so dominated by Futaba and JR, for what reason, I have no clue, it is natural that Airtronics would be behind the curve. However, the RDS8000 with the two recievers was a heck of a deal and a good way for them to gain some market share. I've had Airtronics radios since the early 1980s and always had good luck with them! In the 1980s, Airtronics had a much larger following then they do now. What happened to them I could not say.

frenchie79 03-23-2009 02:57 PM

Suck it up and buy one-Futabas are 90+ for 2.4. It helps if you view it as "I'll use the receiver for another plane some day". Works for me.

carlosponti 03-23-2009 04:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Mode One

Airtronics has less the 10% of the market share and the RDS8000 has been out, for what, 6-8 months? New products for their 2.4 radios will be coming out! Since the R/C market is so dominated by Futaba and JR, for what reason, I have no clue, it is natural that Airtronics would be behind the curve. However, the RDS8000 with the two recievers was a heck of a deal and a good way for them to gain some market share. I've had Airtronics radios since the early 1980s and always had good luck with them! In the 1980s, Airtronics had a much larger following then they do now. What happened to them I could not say.

airtronics used to be the bomb that is true back a few years ago. i remember when i first got into cars airtronics had a bigger following than futaba. I had JR for airplanes up until now but i bought my futaba before knowing airtronics was doing a 2.4 or it might have been in the consideration.

Mode One 03-23-2009 05:37 PM

ORIGINAL: frenchie79

Suck it up and buy one-Futabas are 90+ for 2.4. It helps if you view it as "I'll use the receiver for another plane some day". Works for me.
Are you suggesting he drop his Airtronics RDS0000 and switch to Futaba? I hope not, as that's a heck of a price to pay, just to own the radio with the largest following!

What your saying here, Frenchie79, is pretty unclear.

carlosponti 03-24-2009 10:49 AM

i think he was saying at 80 its still cheaper than the futaba receiver

-pkh- 03-24-2009 11:11 AM

Yeah, but if you shop around you can get the Spektrum AR500 full range 5 channel receiver for about $50 (MAP price is only $60), and the park flyer 6 channel receivers are all under $50. I'm sure Airtronics and Futaba will come out with more selections in the future, but how long do you want to wait?

carlosponti 03-24-2009 01:41 PM

Yeah, but if you shop around you can get the Spektrum AR500 full range 5 channel receiver for about $50 (MAP price is only $60), and the park flyer 6 channel receivers are all under $50. I'm sure Airtronics and Futaba will come out with more selections in the future, but how long do you want to wait?
i think you are missing the point of this thread he is asking that since he ALREADY has the airtronics radio that he wondered if he could get another manufacturers receiver like you can with 72mhz to save money. which most have replied no that you have to stick with the manufacturer of the radio for the receiver. i said it was no big deal to just hot swap receivers and others have just recommended just go ahead and get the receivers he needs and not worry. are you saying he should drop his current radio for spectrum just so he cause save money on a few receivers? doesn't sound to me like by the time he does all that he will be ahead.

-pkh- 03-24-2009 02:31 PM

Depends on what you consider to be a "few" and how much he can sell the RDS8000 for.

Mode One 03-24-2009 02:47 PM

Depends on what you consider to be a "few" and how much he can sell the RDS8000 for.
He's invested in the Airtronics Radio. In time he'll have other less expensive receivers to go along with the RDS8000 8 channel TX. Until then he can swap, or buy 92824 receivers. Right now there is a 92824 for sale on Ebay for $66.00, selling in 5 hours another selling in a few days. In the recent past 92824 receivers have sold for $62, $80, $76 and $64.00.

To suggest to someone they sell what they have which is perfectly good and invest in something else make absolutly no sense to me!

carlosponti 03-24-2009 03:26 PM

... how much he can sell the RDS8000 for.
oh good grief :eek:

Mode One 03-24-2009 04:32 PM

Oh, I finally understand! Your saying he should get rid of the junk he has now and buy the only good radio there is, which is of course the Spektrum AR500 Full Range, which naturally -pkh- uses!

Makes perfect sense, now!

-pkh- 03-24-2009 07:58 PM

Awww, I sense an Airtronics owner with hurt feelings. [&o]

I never said it was a piece of junk. It's a great buy if all you need are full size 8 channel receivers. If you want cheaper receivers with lower channel counts, and/or want some micro PF receivers, then it doesn't quite fit the bill right now, does it? :)

blvdbuzzard 03-24-2009 08:06 PM

I have the 8 channel Rx in a 12oz foamie. Weight is not an issue. Works just fine. Couple months and the new Rx's will be out. I can wait, they sell for less then any other brand. The 8 channel is not much larger then my Electron 6, the Electron goes for around $45.00 plus a $15.00 crystal. So the 8 channel Airtronics is not much more then that.

I always get a kick out of replies that say to get rid of what you have and get brand X, that is the only way to solve the problem. Always so helpful.

Dru.

Mode One 03-25-2009 06:50 AM

Awww, I sense an Airtronics owner with hurt feelings. [&o]

I never said it was a piece of junk. It's a great buy if all you need are full size 8 channel receivers. If you want cheaper receivers with lower channel counts, and/or want some micro PF receivers, then it doesn't quite fit the bill right now, does it? :)
No feelings are hurt, what-so-ever! Only commenting on what I see as un-helpful and senseless siggestions! Since the 92824 is lighter then most 6 channel 2.4 Ghz RXs they actually fit the bill quite nicely.

carlosponti 03-25-2009 09:09 AM

pkh and mode one no reason to let this thread get out of hand with competition talk. pkh i suggest you never suggest that just because someone says the receivers are expensive to suggest going another manufacturer. because you didnt answer his question or were helpful in any way. mode remember there will always be one very useless feature permanently tagged to spectrum in my opinion and that is model match. feature you cant turn off that forces you to buy new receivers for each plane you attach. :) i suppose this argument will get more segmented when Hitec finally shows their head with the 2.4 they are planning on delivering soon. sounds about the same pissing contest that goes on between chevy ford and dodge owners.