RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Storing a Plane in a Garage - Northern (Think Winter) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9178467-storing-plane-garage-northern-think-winter.html)

Jim_Purcha 10-16-2009 02:57 PM

Storing a Plane in a Garage - Northern (Think Winter)

No disrespect to the RCU members in the southern States, but I would like to hear some suggestions from modelers in the northern states, particularly the Dakota's, Minnesota (Minnflyer?) and Wisconscin since we share the same climate.

How do you store your models in a garage? Any concerns about the electronics or the engines? How about that -40 degree 40 mile/hour wind that comes in when the door is opened in mid January.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...y/msn/idea.gif

Thanks,

Jim</p>

aerowoof 10-16-2009 03:48 PM

RE: Storing a Plane in a Garage - Northern (Think Winter)

remove the radio componets and engine and store in a warm/dry location.I am assuming your garage is unheated

w8ye 10-16-2009 06:53 PM

I just put them out there. They hold up just fine

dhal22 10-16-2009 07:14 PM

or just move to a warmer climate;).

RICMOD5634 10-16-2009 08:43 PM

I leave all my planes in a trailer in mid Mich. and do nothing speacial. And they always run and fly the next year.

Jim_Purcha 10-16-2009 09:32 PM

But I live in "Southern" Manitoba David.

ORIGINAL: dhal22

or just move to a warmer climate;).

dhal22 10-16-2009 10:01 PM

well, there you have it. is -40 better than -70 way up in northern manitoba? :eek: i just googled your town. it appears to be a bit on the small side.

Jim_Purcha 10-16-2009 11:34 PM

The town I live in just 6 miles south of Winnipeg (800 thousand). Most of us drive in to the city for work. -40 is better than -70. I have a pair of winter boots rated to -80 degrees. Never had to test them to that extreme yet.

Jim

well, there you have it. is -40 better than -70 way up in northern manitoba? :eek: i just googled your town. it appears to be a bit on the small side.

ro347 10-16-2009 11:43 PM

I store in the garage during the winter.....I personally just put after run in the engines, and pull out all batteries, keeping them along with Tx in the house.

ro347 10-16-2009 11:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Jim_Purcha

The town I live in just 6 miles south of Winnipeg (800 thousand). Most of us drive in to the city for work. -40 is better than -70. I have a pair of winter boots rated to -80 degrees. Never had to test them to that extreme yet.

Jim

WOWZERZ!!!! ....And im complaining of the weather here at 46 degrees right now.

Jim_Purcha 10-17-2009 06:34 AM

My kids missed a few days a school last year when the temp. dropped to -45 degrees (celsius or fahrenheit I don't matter, both scales are equal at -40 degrees). Currently it's 45 degrees F here too.

Jim

ORIGINAL: ro347

Jim

WOWZERZ!!!! ....And im complaining of the weather here at 46 degrees right now.

sticktickler 10-17-2009 03:30 PM

No disrespect to the RCU members in the southern States, but I would like to hear some suggestions from modelers in the northern states, particularly the Dakota's, Minnesota (Minnflyer?) and Wisconscin since we share the same climate.

How do you store your models in a garage? Any concerns about the electronics or the engines? How about that -40 degree 40 mile/hour wind that comes in when the door is opened in mid January.[img][/img]

Thanks,

Jim</p>
If you plan to tinker with any electronic device RC planes, TVs, computers whatever left out in the cold for a awhile. You must let it climatize (warm up) for a few hours after you bring it into the house. Bringing these item in from the cold to a quick change in higher temps can cause condensation just as it does to your glasses. Of course we all know that any moister on a electronic circuit is NEVER desirable. So let it sit warm up and evaporate a few hours before you turn it on to prevent a possible damaging short circuit. Modern electronics are rather robust these days but an ounce of prevention is a pound of cure and much easier on the pocket book.
A few drops of (after run engine oil) or simply automatic transmission fluid in your engine is a great way to prevent the condensation from internally rusting it seizing it up permanently. The fuels we use tend to augment this problem because they draw even more moister from the air. A thin coat of oil can save the day and your engine making it a whole lot easier to start next spring. We all love a good running engine.
Watch those plastic control horns in extreme cold any bumps to the craft they can snap like a twig clean off. I fly year round here in Iowa, many years ago on a cold day I found that out the hard way in the air OUCH! Now I use the metal ones for cold weather flying.

MinnFlyer 10-19-2009 07:30 AM

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I just put them out there. They hold up just fine

Ditto, Most of my planes sit in the garage all winter with no ill effects.