RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   scale decals for 1/5 P-51D mustange (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9365338-scale-decals-1-5-p-51d-mustange.html)

Leroy Gardner 12-28-2009 12:59 AM

scale decals for 1/5 P-51D mustange

I'm finishing up and prepping to paint this top flight 1/5 scale P-51D. It will be done in the CRIPES ALLMIGHTY the 3rd blue nose theme.Where do you get complete scale decals for these planes? I thought about making some of them on my ink jet printer, do any of
you do that with sucess? I would hate to mess this plane up after all I've put into it! would like your input. Leroy Oh, one other thing, where can I get documentation for this plane?, thanks Can't figure out why there is no reply for this question?[>:]

Super_Chief 12-30-2009 08:00 AM

RE: scale decals for 1/5 P-51D mustange

If you go over to the other site (RCGROUPS) under electric airplanes you will see a thread with thousands of "decals" that others have contributed. Also probably leads for the documentation you need.

ChuckW 12-30-2009 11:14 AM

Talk to the guys over in the warbird forum here on RCU. They'll know exactly what you need and where to go for it.

daven 12-30-2009 02:10 PM

As to Cripes Allmighty, I believe that is part of Kermit Weeks collection just South of Orlando at the Fantasy of Flight Museum. I'm pretty sure that where I saw it. I have some pictures somewhere, but no real documentation.

Leroy Gardner 12-30-2009 04:52 PM

Thank you guys for leading me in the right direction about finding scale decals,Leroy

Greg Wright 12-30-2009 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Leroy, If you where to go to www.aeroloft.com they have dry transfer decals for the p-51 take a look. This is just a sample of what they have. Here's a few pictures of my p-38 that i had aero-loft do the decals for.

Greg Wright

Not a JR Rep / But would love to be one!!!!!!!!!!

Leroy Gardner 12-30-2009 11:32 PM

Thank you Greg. Your plane looks great, I'm headed to AERO-LOFT;) Greg I went to your mentioned web site and it does not exist. I put it in just like you showed it, even did it in upper and lower case, no luck? Could you check it and get back to me ?[&o] Dang it, sure great looking decals and just what I need. Thanks,Leroy

TomCrump 12-31-2009 06:44 AM

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359029

http://www.aeroloft.com/

Leroy Gardner 12-31-2009 01:47 PM

Thanks Tom, I found the aeroloft site and "oh boy", price for cripes almighty decals are $250.00 bucks. That is what I paid for the kit I'm building. I can't belive there isn't some more reasonable?, keep looking I guess?. Thanks to all, Leroy[&o]

Greg Wright 12-31-2009 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Leroy if you don't want to pay that much for good quality decals you could get these vinyl ones made. They are made by a company called www.callie-graphics.com

frets24 12-31-2009 11:56 PM

the dry transfer set you get from Aeroloft may be $250 but you will not get a better or more comprehensive decal set anywhere for any less...If you've got a highly detailed scale plane it's going to be expensive, in both time and cash. If you are just looking for the major markings and dont need all of the rest of the "fine print" you'd be just as well off to print your own on Avery brand self adhesive clear or white label paper and or mask and paint your stars-n-bars and large alpha-numerics.

also, Talk to the lady at aeroloft, she'll sell you as much or as little of a set as you want. the prepacked set is just the whole shootin match.

TomCrump 01-01-2010 09:25 AM

Somebody needs to come out with a generic set of "fine print" that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

When Gary Sibert owned Get Stencils, his prices were more than reasonable. I haven't checked pricing from the new owners, but it may be worth a look. http://www.getstencils.com/

frets24 01-01-2010 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
again, Aeroloft. I sent her 2 1/2 pages to include nomenclature done on winword in a font I downloaded off the net, some custom artwork and some color stuff (fuel caps, canopy and gun locker latches, A/C name). The final price shipped was WELL under $100. The A/C #27 and stars/bars are painted.

A generic set will always have stuff that you may not want or need, sometimes as much as 2-3pages equivalent in 1/5 scale or larger, and the raw material for real dry transfer is pricey to start with, ($12-15 per 8 1/2x11 black and white, color is more) so $20-25 per custom sheet, or generic, seems very reasonable.

Leroy Gardner 01-01-2010 09:43 PM

I'm greatfull for all your experience and knoledge, your all an asset to the new builders like me. There are decals and then there are decals, they are not all created equal. While they are the eye catching finishing touch I'd like for my plane I'll probably figure a way to get the best quality I can. Lost alot of income last year. things are not as easy right now. Oh well!. Thanks, Leroy:eek:

rye 01-01-2010 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
my bird

Greg Wright 01-01-2010 10:52 PM

Hey Leroy, sorry to hear about your income, but i'm in the same boat as you i lost my job almost a year and a half-ago but i've always found a way to support the hobby i love to do.

frets24 01-01-2010 11:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This economy has taken it's toll on a lot of us I fear.
I'm a self employed plumber and the majority (90%) of my business was on flips and major remodels/additions. My new business plan has been modified to target 90% service and repair work instead.

The Avery self adhesive label paper in clear or white does a good job and is quite inexpensive. you can get the military fonts on line as freeware or shareware and add them to your WinWord or word perfect, etc. font library and make-up your own nomenclature sheets, print 'em off at home on regular paper, then go over to Kinko's and run 'em off on the decal/label paper with the laser printer. A couple of light coats of TopFlite fuel-proof clear over top of them and you're good to go.

These were done for a Kyosho ME109 kitbash that I did awhile back and after two years and as many gallons of fuel they still look the same. The JG27 shield and the under exhuast decal were done on the white lable and the fine print on the clear. On the underwing radiator label you can see the edge of the decal in the photo but on the rudder and by the tail wheel they blend better in the photos. in person you can see the edges on all of the clear ones if you are looking, but from 5-6 ft away you can't.

Edit for added pics and text-
These may help as well. Maybe you could save then copy and paste to a cut sheet, or get an idea as to what all might be on the A/C where it would go. In my research I've found that the currently flyoing p-51's are grossly mis-marked if at all and the vintage photos all differ as to what was marked and what had been painted over or removed.

frets24 01-02-2010 12:39 AM

Here's a link to some free fonts. The Phantom stencil font is a really close, if not perfect, match for WWII Army Air Corps marking.

http://hans.presto.tripod.com/fonts/stencil2.html