RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Is my RX pack ok? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9421002-my-rx-pack-ok.html)

ceecrb1 01-16-2010 02:48 PM

Is my RX pack ok?

Ok i've got an RX pack that i'm starting to not trust so much, what does everybody think and how can I test it?

Its marked as (4cell nimh) 2200mah... and after a full charge when i use a voltage checker and move the servos.. all leds light up. including the "low" red LED.

Today while flying the throttle servo locked out, it happens to be a mini servo that draws a lot of current.. naturally I instantly landed when I worked out the throttle had locked out for a seccond...

For tomorrows flying i'm going to run dual receiver packs.. just incase.. but what tests can I do to really proove its health?

This week "should" arrive 2x hobby city RX lipo packs and megabec 8's which i'll be installing but I'm just not sure wether to keep this rx pack for a future plane or bin it.

comments?

ChuckW 01-16-2010 03:26 PM

RE: Is my RX pack ok?

In my opinion, if there is any doubt or suspicion at all about a battery pack it should be tossed. Yes, that costs money but it is better than losing an expensive, beautiful airplane.

jaka 01-16-2010 04:44 PM

Hi!
I sure sounds as if one or two cells in your battery pack are bad.

To really know I would buy a multimeter and check the voltage (under load) on each cell in the battery pack. You do this by sticking needles through the plastic into + and - on each battery cell.
Each cell should give 1,25V fully charged.
If you find one cell (or several) that shows only 1,0V the whole pack should be discarded.

whatiwork4 01-16-2010 07:36 PM

if you have doubts trash it cost of a battery is small compared to total cost of plane,

Tommygun 01-16-2010 08:48 PM

Chuck it, they're cheap enough. RX pack induced crashes suck- they're very preventable yet incredibly destructive. When you get a new pack, write the date DD/MM/YY in sharpie on the pack. I usually toss mine if they're more than about 6 or 7 years old.

mikegordon10 01-17-2010 12:23 AM

I guess I'd cycle it and see what it'll do. Anything less than about 80% of rated capacity needs to be taken out of an airplane and used in some other way or just chuck it.

KW_Counter 01-17-2010 10:26 AM

The only way to really test it is to get a charger that will cycle it
so you can see how much power is going in and coming out.
There is lots of good info about this in the battery forum.
Good Luck,
KW_Counter

jester_s1 01-19-2010 12:43 AM

You need to cycle and also check the pack under load. It's possible that the pack will cycle but still not provide the voltage it should under load.