RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   what do do with an engine that has sat for years? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9588417-what-do-do-engine-has-sat-years.html)

badcopnodonut!! 03-16-2010 09:31 PM

what do do with an engine that has sat for years?

Hello,I am new to flying but have reaped tons of sage advice from my brother who has been flying and buildingfor almost 20 years.With his help and a realflight 3 simulator I am off and flying.I have started out with SPADS,specificly H.O.R.[hell on rails] because they are durable,fairly cheap to build and tons of fun. I am now wanting something with wheels because I love Takeoffs/Landings.My brother sold a trainer to our brother-in-law 4 or 5 years ago and he has never used it,just sitting in his garage.My question is this-What potential problems could I have trying to get this plane in air now after sitting this long?My main concern is the engine.Ibelieve the engine is an O.S. .46.What do I need to do or look out for in trying to get this plane flying again?Many thanks in advance for your help.Brian

DavidAgar 03-16-2010 09:44 PM

RE: what do do with an engine that has sat for years?

Depending on how the engine was stored, you may not have any issues at all. If it was not pickled when it was put away, it may take some work to get it loosened up, put it is possible. I would also be concerned with the batteries in the plane and transmitter. They may be an issue. Good Luck, Dave

42etus 03-17-2010 12:30 AM

Can you turn the engine over? If yes, I'd try to start it while the plane is restrained and see how it runs, tune the needles , etc. I'd replace any batteries that have sat unused for 4-5 years. Visually look it over to see that nothing is broken and all the control surfaces move as they should. Best bet would be to find a local club's flying field and drop in with the plane on a Saturday morning and start asking questions.

Ed Smith 03-17-2010 08:16 AM

Save yourself some grief and do the job properly. Disassemble the engine and clean it thoroughly. Remove any hard looking grease or varnish. Look at the bearings, if there is any rust they are junk and will need replacing.

It takes just a couple of hours to do the above and could save you an airplane.

Ed S

Avaiojet 03-17-2010 09:48 AM

I would just submerge the engine in grease and tar remover for a period of time. From time to time I would rotate the shaft, drop it back it.

Buy that stuff at any automotive Body Shop supply store.

When the engine is loose, shake/tip the thing till all the chemical is out.

Be good to go then.

Worked for me.

Charles

P47Tbolt 03-17-2010 09:53 AM

Another item I would check would be the o-rings on the high and low speed needles.See if they are still plyable and not
dried out or even flattened out. Air leaks on these o-rings can drive you crazy.After sitting for so long I would replace them anyway
to be on the safe side,only a couple bucks.

BillyGoat 03-17-2010 01:11 PM

Concerning just the engine. If its not locked up I'd replace the glow plug and try to fire it up to get a baseline to see what your dealing with.

Although for a plane thats been just sitting in a garage, the engine would be down a few items on my list of concerns.

badcopnodonut!! 03-17-2010 01:59 PM

Thanks to all for taking the time to point a beginner in the right direction.It is appreciated.BillyGoat,what else should I be looking for?I will be using new batteries and reciever by the way.

BillyGoat 03-17-2010 07:55 PM

I started to list a few things and realized the practical thing for you to have is the whole maiden flight checklist. I'm sure if you do a search here on RCU for 'pre-flight checklist' you will find some good ones.

However if you don't find anything shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you the pre-flight and Maiden flight Checklist that I made several years ago.

badcopnodonut!! 03-17-2010 09:29 PM

ORIGINAL: BillyGoat

I started to list a few things and realized the practical thing for you to have is the whole maiden flight checklist. I'm sure if you do a search here on RCU for 'pre-flight checklist' you will find some good ones.

However if you don't find anything shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you the pre-flight and Maiden flight Checklist that I made several years ago.
Thanks BillyGoat,very much.