RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Good Ultracote Colors (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9613313-good-ultracote-colors.html)

LargeScale88 03-26-2010 07:54 AM

Good Ultracote Colors

Hello, I am asking about ultracote for my Sig Somethin Extra. My second SSE. I have had many problems with some monokote colors, such as it doesn't shrink as good, and gets very briddle. What are some good ultracote colors that shrink the most, and never great briddle, and goes on easy????
Thanks

Insanemoondoggie 03-26-2010 08:28 AM

RE: Good Ultracote Colors

I had very good luck with all Ultracote colors except the Black, the clear filmpeeled off , toleave thetacky color and glue base.I use both Monocote and Ultracote , what I've noticed is the Mono is harder to put on and shrink , but it seems to hold it's color longerand is tougher than UC .
I used the UltraCote
Yellow
Cub yellow
All reds
purple/lavender
white
brite blue and corair blue
Most the metallics
They have all worked well and do great job on those hard to cover planes. I did use Monocote yellow and met. blue on my last SSE, I found the airframe is one of the easiest to cover , but the yellow was a handful.
Good luck, what colors are you thinking about ?

LargeScale88 03-26-2010 08:48 AM

For my SSE, I was thinking the 1 inch squares blue and white ultracote for the bottom of the wings, and blue on the top. The fuselage I was thinking of red or silver, or a mix of both. I am not the greatest working with the this covering. What is it like to apply????

mikegordon10 03-26-2010 09:32 AM

Ya know Ultracoat has different colors of checkered covering. I think you can get them in both 1" and 2" squares. I think I'd go with the 2" squares. When I used the 1" squares of black & white all I saw in the air was a kind of gray color. It looked great on the ground but in the air I was disappointed. I don't know about blue & white but I know there is a black & white and a red & white. As far as workability of the different colors of Ultracoat, I've used it for the last 10 years or so (ever since Moneycoat went to s . . t.)
I have seen no difference in the different colors. Even the black was fine.

ChuckW 03-26-2010 10:22 AM

I've found that the basic colors in both Ultracoate and Monokote seem to work best. The transparent colors also work well. Not saying that the metallics, pearls and patterns aren't good; I use them all the time. It just seems to me like the basics wrinkle a little less and shrink easier. It might just be my perception too.

jay2000dakota 03-26-2010 11:00 AM

I've used 21st century fabric for any scale application were the full size plane was cloth covered. In the past I have used monokote but since the glue formula was changed I have switched to Ultrakote. I find the Ultrakote sticks alot better than monokote, also Ultrakote seems to shrink better too. I haven't had any problems with the colors, last year I covered a Carl Goldberg Extra 300s in black, blue and white. the black on the Extra is holding up fine so far.

Gray Beard 03-26-2010 01:24 PM

I went over to UC years ago when Mono changed there covering? Anyway, the only color I have had a problem with it the silver when covering a P-51. For some reason the Mono was better?? If you use the checkers make sure you use the large ones, the little checkers seem to disappear when the plane is in the air.

LargeScale88 03-27-2010 07:45 PM

Isee, because the whole point of the checkers for me is to tell the top and bottom of the airplane when flying it. I ask because I did switch from monokote to ultracote, and had so many problems with different colors of monokote, I never knew if it was the same on ultracote. It does not sound like its a problem.???

airbusdrvr 03-28-2010 07:00 AM

You will do well with any of the Ultracote coverings. One thought on the squares. If you are using them for eye appeal in the pits the smaller squares look great. When flying, you will find the larger(for me over 60, really large) squares are easier to see.

LargeScale88 03-28-2010 08:25 AM

I see, because I want to tell if the airplane is going to smash or not.... because I had an airplane where I couldnt tell the top from bottom, lost it, and smash, went to pick up the pieces.

Insanemoondoggie 03-28-2010 08:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This SlowPoke has all Ultracoat and I hand cut the squares and it wasn't that bad. Used low heat to to apply them and they all have stuck really well. This color scheme realy stood out . I use wide stripes on the bottom of all my planes now . The checkered covering I have used is not as durable as solid colors both UC and MC . Here's Vid of it, Sorry for the blue sky footage in the middle of the video, my camera girl was just learning, she did get some good shots at the end. http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Robbie-and-Slowpoke-wmv But these colors stand out pretty good.

Top_Gunn 03-28-2010 08:59 AM

I second what Mike Gordon said about the one-inch squares: in the air, even pretty close, the black and white becomes a sort of light gray.

As for Monokote, while some users have reported problems with particular colors, I suspect that what's really going on is a quality-control problem, not necessarily a problem with particular colors. A lot of people have said they've had trouble with white Monokote, for instance. That's worked fine for me, but I've had awful results lately with yellow and red: goes on great but then sags like crazy. The bad rolls even smell funny.

(In a day or so, someone will chime in and say the complaining Monokote users just don't know how to apply it. I guess the 20-plus years we got great results with Monokote were just dumb luck, or maybe we suddenly forgot what we'd been doing all those years. Funny, when I use an old roll, it all comes back to me.)

airbusdrvr 03-28-2010 10:03 AM

Insanemoondoggie, you are to be commended for flying in that weather. It must be 55 degrees or warmer and no wind before I venture outside. As Garrison Keillor would suggest, you are hardy souls up there in MN.

LargeScale88 03-28-2010 11:21 AM

Nice slowpoke, and nice covering. I wish I had talent like that. Ive never used plastic covering before. Is it pretty simple to apply? How much does UCshrink? I hear alot.