RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Dumbest question yet........ (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9617029-dumbest-question-yet.html)

LargeScale88 03-27-2010 07:53 PM

Dumbest question yet........

Whats the best "phrase" to yell when starting your engine at the flight line? I'm not new to the hobby. In it for many many many years, just whats the best saying out there now days?????

Top_Gunn 03-27-2010 08:17 PM

RE: Dumbest question yet........

Nobody in my club announces this. The only standard phrases I know of are "I ain't got it!" for when you've lost control and "It was some sort of interference" to explain all crashes;).

Stick 40 03-27-2010 08:25 PM

we yell out when we go onto the field to get a plane thats dead stick. As for starting the engine we yell ,GREAT THANK YOU GOD.

sticks

WCB 03-27-2010 08:27 PM

I know what phrases I yell when my engine won't crank, but I don't think it would be appropriate to repeat here.:D

MinnFlyer 03-27-2010 08:45 PM

The phrase I use most often before starting an engine is, "Can I borrow your glow driver?"

:D

ChuckW 03-27-2010 09:04 PM

We have starting areas with stands so if you are in that area with an airplane, everyone generally knows what you are doing. We do call out things like take-off, landing, dead stick, etc. if there are several people present. I would just try to follow the etiquette you see at your field and always try to be courteous and you should be fine.

Wonder 03-27-2010 09:31 PM

Hey, watch this!!!

DeferredDefect 03-27-2010 09:56 PM

Ever since I saw Flyboys, it has always been

"CONTACT ! "

From what I have seen, the model is about 75% more likely to start that way...:D

Thank you

Graeme

Charlie P. 03-27-2010 11:41 PM

ORIGINAL: LargeScale88

Whats the best ''phrase'' to yell when starting your engine at the flight line? I'm not new to the hobby. In it for many many many years, just whats the best saying out there now days?????
The advantage to fossil fuels over electrics is that you never have to announce it yourself when it fires up. That great "Braaaaaaaa" of a large glow, "Putta-Putta-Putta" of a gas. or even "WHEEEEEEE!" of a small glow is usually enough.

beepee 03-28-2010 03:28 AM

Unlike full scale you are usually right in front of the prop, so there is not as much need. If I have someone assisting and I am starting one of my gassers, I will let him know when I have turned on the ignition before I flip the prop. That can otherwise be a surprise!

I do like MinnFlyers answer best though.

Have fun,

Bedford

dignlivn 03-28-2010 07:05 AM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

The phrase I use most often before starting an engine is, ''Can I borrow your glow driver?''

:D

hey Mike,

Just put a single AA battery with a momentary switch
on board. No more glow driver borrowing :)

Bob

LargeScale88 03-28-2010 08:21 AM

o trust me, when someone gets a deadstick, the language is about every bad word that you can think of...... I think i will yell starting engine, that sounds stupid enoughhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ngue_smile.gif

davidgeorge212 03-28-2010 09:07 AM

At our feild no one useually calls anything when starting, but the people that do usually go with "CONTACT" or "CLEAR"

daveopam 03-28-2010 10:23 AM

I like "fire in the hole". It gets everyone attention.

david

LargeScale88 03-28-2010 11:19 AM

Thats a good one. We had a guy who lost a finger because he didnt yell anything when he started his gasser, and next thing ya know, hes walking on the runway, not to get his airplane, to get his finger. OUCH!!!!!!!! He was in much pain, so i'm trying to be more cautious!

Gray Beard 03-28-2010 12:16 PM

So far I have never heard anyone say anything about starting the engine?? I may mumble something like here goes nothing if it's an engine I have been working on? Maybe an ah Grit if something stupid happens. Just nothing I have ever seen/heard anyone do.

Lnewqban 03-28-2010 12:28 PM

Whats the best ''phrase'' to yell when starting your engine at the flight line? I'm not new to the hobby. In it for many many many years, just whats the best saying out there now days?????
Was there any ''phrase'' to yell when starting your engine at the flight line many many many years ago?

.......... We had a guy who lost a finger because he didnt yell anything when he started his gasser...................
For sure, I will yell the next time I start my engine!!!![sm=confused.gif]

Normally, spinning propellers punish transgressors of their personal space rather than non-yelling pilots.:)[sm=wink_smile.gif]
(Sorry, I couldn't resist)[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

jimmyjames213 03-28-2010 01:21 PM

when someone is flying and they are rather close i tell them im "lighting her up" so they dont freak out
if their 15+ yards away i dont bother

mike31 03-28-2010 07:15 PM

Full size is "clear prop"

bigaco 03-28-2010 07:35 PM

one of my favorite saying is get your sh-t out of the way!!!!!:D
the second is can i borrow 10 oz of fuel,i am going to the lhs when he opens!!!!![>:]

BIGACO

NM2K 03-28-2010 07:47 PM

And it is "Fire in the hold!". Not "Fire in the hole". Yes, I'm pedantic enough that stuff like this drives me nuts! 8>)

Ed Cregger

daisy shoot 03-28-2010 08:18 PM

I like to take my bump starter a hold it firmly to my ear while my glow driver is jammed up my nose and make engine sounds as loudly as possible in front of my plane.

Then I yell "YOUR TURN"...while staring angrily at my plane.

Most people at the field get the idea.

Wonder 03-28-2010 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: dookieshoot

I like to take my bump starter a hold it firmly to my ear while my glow driver is jammed up my nose and make engine sounds as loudly as possible in front of my plane.

Then I yell ''YOUR TURN''...while staring angrily at my plane.

Most people at the field get the idea.
Now that is some funny stuff right there![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

stang 03-28-2010 10:21 PM

Hey Ed,
Are you sure about that? Wikipedia says it is "Fire in the Hole". Who is right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_in_the_hole

cougdave 03-29-2010 01:03 AM

My old club thought I should yell, "FORE!" any time I started my engine. not sure what it means, but I do it to humor them. ;)

Fly Safely,
Dave