RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Aircraft weight range for zenoah g62 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9625444-aircraft-weight-range-zenoah-g62.html)

LargeScale88 03-30-2010 07:28 PM

Aircraft weight range for zenoah g62

Hello, I have a bud nosen p-51 that I am finishing up. No engine yet. I was thinking of the zenoah g62. Have not weighed yet, probly around the 30 pound area, or 25-30 pound area. Good choice engine????</p>

Gray Beard 03-30-2010 08:41 PM

RE: Aircraft weight range for zenoah g62

Very good choice. If you happen to be able to read the High Flight magazine from IMAA you will see a lot of war birds in that size and weight of planes using the G-62. I have one in a 30 pound Extra and it pulls the plane quite well. If I was to fly 3-D I would need a bigger engine but for anything IMAC it is perfect.

LargeScale88 03-30-2010 08:44 PM

How fast do you think it will fly? 102" wingspan, fiberglassed, retracts.

Gray Beard 03-30-2010 08:56 PM

Speed??? I have never guned any of my planes so I don't have a clue. I was involved in IMAA for a number of years and I can say it will fly much more then scale. The G-62 is used in most of the big giant scale war birds for a lot of reasons. It's a true stump puller for torque, it's parts are easy to locate, the cost is cheap compared with other engines and I can't recall the last time I have seen one go dead stick. It's just one of those engines. You may find some that are faster but unless you are into racing why would anyone require more speed. Only time I have the throttle opened on my Extra is when I'm going vertical Rolls and Knife edge is done at around half throttle, maybe a tad more. I did put a spring starter on mine but just because it is easier for me. I just choke it until there is fuel flowing from the carb and twist the prop, let it go and it starts the first time.

LargeScale88 03-30-2010 09:38 PM

This will be my first gasser. Do you have any pics of how you hooked up your throttle? Whats the sequence for starting without the spring starter? Do they require break in?

Thanks

Gray Beard 03-30-2010 11:19 PM

I will have to take some photos for you but you can't see a lot. Usually I don't follow rules and set things up as I see fit, I have always gotten away with it but when setting up the throttle on this one I was getting RF so I had to move my servo away from the engine. I set the servo a couple of feet back and used Nyrod with the small threaded rod on each end and I think I used ball links, I'm sure I did on the engine but will have to look at the servo arm. I used the stock arm that came with the carb but in the past I have replaced that with a fiber steering arm from a trike geared plane. The Zenoah engines like to be started wet. I choke the engine and flip the prop until gas is dripping out the carb then turn on the kill switch and flip it until it fires, then I take the choke off and flip it until it starts. They don't seem to choke well with just closing the choke so I stick my thumb over the carb while the choke is closed then just roll the engine over about two or three times until the gas is dripping out the carb, ready to start. I used to have a big electric starter made from a Toyota truck starter for the bigger gas engines. That gave it plenty of spin. I just tested an 18 volt electric drill used as a starter on it and that worked out good too. They aren't all that hard to use or set up. I like mags as well as electronic ignitions.

LargeScale88 03-31-2010 04:55 PM

So I am looking at the zenoah g62, with a 35 pound p-51 (just weighd it), and looking for speed. The 3w 75 sounds like a good deal. From your experience, do you think it will have speed when I gun the throttle??

Thanks

Gray Beard 03-31-2010 08:25 PM

I have never owned a 3W engine and it's one of the engines I only see once in a while at IMAC events. Only time I have ever been involved with speed was a couple of Madera Races I went out to and was a pit goffer. I can't say anything about speed. I think John Buckner will know a lot more about the speed end of it. I have always had my gas engines in stunt planes like the Sukhoi or Extra and I have always been looking to make my planes slower with as much pulling power as I could get, that's a lot of prop testing and I stay away from the high pitch short props. Sorry.

sensei 03-31-2010 10:28 PM

ORIGINAL: LargeScale88

So I am looking at the zenoah g62, with a 35 pound p-51 (just weighd it), and looking for speed. The 3w 75 sounds like a good deal. From your experience, do you think it will have speed when I gun the throttle??

Thanks

More like a DA 85cc, 35lbs.... That is pretty heavy for that size plane, don't slow it down on landing.:eek:

Bob

ScottMcM 04-01-2010 06:16 AM

I saw a nice P-39 Airacobra for sale at the last swap meet I went to. I don't recall the wingspan, but i'm thinking 80" or so. It had a G62, and weighed 30 pounds. I was seriously considering buying it until the owner said that it took 500 feet of runway to fly this beast. [X(]

Gray Beard 04-01-2010 10:57 AM

I just picked up an old High Flight magazine from 03 and started going through the photos of the different war birds and seeing what they were running and what the plane weight was. about 25 to 36 pounds and most of them are running the G-62 or a 3.2 Sachs, a lot of other engines too but these two pop up most the time. There is one Sky Raider with a 102 span at 34 pounds using the 3W-70. I don't feel like putting my Extra together to check the weight but it comes in at about 30 pounds+ with the G-62. A bit different then a war bird though. There are a lot of good choices in gas engines today, I would check out an IMAA event or IMAAs high flight magazine to see what others are running. If you go to an event then you can see how well the engines fly some of these big planes and make a better choice. I have four gas engines left, a Brison, RCS, Zin and Fox and each one works well in different sizes and types of planes. If you have a lot of money then you can't go wrong with DA. Right now I'm very impressed with the DLE but have only fooled with the 55. Look before you spend the money. Right now parts are getting hard to find for my small RCS engine, think in long term too.

LargeScale88 04-01-2010 09:57 PM

Ok thanks guys. Sense its a p-51, im kinda looking for some speed, to fly like dogfight events. Ithink the zenoag g62 should do the trick.

Gray Beard 04-02-2010 12:24 AM

Ok thanks guys. Sense its a p-51, im kinda looking for some speed, to fly like dogfight events. I think the zenoag g62 should do the trick.
Dog flight events with giant scale planes?? This is something new to me. Is this a club thing or is there now an organized event? How is it flown? Is it something like a combat event? Sounds like something I would like to see!!

K-Bob 04-02-2010 08:26 AM

Using one of the newer, lighter 5OCC class engines may only result in adding a bunch of nose weight not to mention "fiddling" with tuning. For good power and ultimate reliabilty and simplicity, it's really hard to beat the good ole G62. Especially if you let Ralph Cunningham have his way with it first. It will outlast the plane and probably you too.

Bonified Wingnut 04-02-2010 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)

How fast do you think it will fly? 102'' wingspan, fiberglassed, retracts.
I don't know about the Bud Nosen, but I saw this Top Flight ARF (84 inch)at a Big Bird fly in that had a G62. He said he had it radar'd at 130mph, and it looked like it did that when he flew it.-BW

foodstick 04-02-2010 10:09 PM

A couple years ago at the big warbird fly in Owatonna Mn. there was a nosen 51 with a strong running G62.. it seemed pretty fast to me.. Every pass was more like full on war power than cruising speed. Everything depends of course on your idea of speed, and how much rounding you do on the Nosen 51..if i recall correctly... the dead stock plane had some squared off edges on the fuse..Rounding them out would help.