RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Does the DLE 55 have more power than a zenoah g62? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9637574-does-dle-55-have-more-power-than-zenoah-g62.html)

LargeScale88 04-04-2010 08:50 PM

Does the DLE 55 have more power than a zenoah g62?

I keep hearing the DLE 55 have more power then the zenoah g62. Is this true??

blikseme300 04-04-2010 09:42 PM

RE: Does the DLE 55 have more power than a zenoah g62?

I guess it depends how you measure power. I replaced a G62 with a DLE55 on a GP Ultimate. The G62 had already been lightened by converting to electronic ignition and use of a Bennet muffler. The same prop, Bambula 23x10, is used on both. The DLE pulls the plane with much more authority, but then again there is a 2.2lb weight difference.

I like the Zenoah's and do believe that for longevity nothing compares. The weight and cost is a problem though. To outfit a G62 with electronic ignition and a lighter muffler makes it much more expensive than the DLE.

Bliksem

jaka 04-05-2010 04:41 AM

Hi!
How does this compare with a MVVS 45cc ...turns a 24x8 "Mentz" at 6600 rpm.

Gray Beard 04-05-2010 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
How does this compare with a MVVS 45cc ...turns a 24x8 ''Mentz'' at 6600 rpm.
We don't see a lot of the MVVS engines a lot so it's really hard to compare. The G-62 has been around forever and the DLE is the new kid in town. So far I'm very impressed with the DLE 55, I just don't think I could compare the two?? I do change the mufflers on my Zins but I like the mags so I don't bother to convert. There isn't enough weight savings to make up for the cost plus by adding in the ignition, battery and switch there isn't enough weight savings to worry about. The idle does smooth out with the EI though. Some folks claim better/easier starting too but how can you beat one flip?? So far the DLEs have been great engines from what I see at the field. Today I get to start and tune a brand new DLE 30 and I just did a rebuild on one of my RCS 1.40s so I will be doing run ups with that one too. I hope?? Weather is crap here again and it's no fun being outside.;)
Large, why don't you go into the gas engine forum and start reading about what others have to say about the different gassers you are looking at. I was also a big fan of Brison and love the 2.4 I have, people compare it with the DA 50. As sweet as it is I just don't know if I could compare the two?? Comparing anything is way too hard and you can't go by the factory specs very much either, the HP rating is about useless.

flygilmore 04-06-2010 02:31 PM

I have both....and I have spun the same prop on both. The G-62 is smoother all around and wins hands down every time!!! ;) The DL is lighter and can be used on a larger variety of airframes. The G-62 will be around for years and years after the DL has turned to dust. They are two different engines that are indeed very different from each other.....so much so that it is not fair to compare them IMHO.

LargeScale88 04-06-2010 07:35 PM

Would the zenoah g62 be good for my p-51 at 26 pounds with NOengine yet? Its 26 pounds, retracts, and sheeted, fiberglassed fuse and wing, no engine yet. Engine is about 5 pounds or so about 30 31 pounds. Will this work good?

Gray Beard 04-06-2010 09:47 PM

ORIGINAL: LargeScale88

Would the zenoah g62 be good for my p-51 at 26 pounds with NO engine yet? Its 26 pounds, retracts, and sheeted, fiberglassed fuse and wing, no engine yet. Engine is about 5 pounds or so about 30 31 pounds. Will this work good?
No, it will never get it off the ground. You better get yourself a nice DA 100.

sensei 04-07-2010 06:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Would the zenoah g62 be good for my p-51 at 26 pounds with NO engine yet? Its 26 pounds, retracts, and sheeted, fiberglassed fuse and wing, no engine yet. Engine is about 5 pounds or so about 30 31 pounds. Will this work good?
No, it will never get it off the ground. You better get yourself a nice DA 100.
LOL,

All kidding aside, if he is going to put over 5 lbs. of G-62 up front, then why not put the DA 85 up front, it would be very close to the same weight said and done. He stated that he wanted to go really fast with this airplane, well with 8.5 HP up front and the right prop, he would be at the top of his game. We are getting radar speeds of 123 MPH, flat and leval, and on calm days on our aerobatic 1/3 scale airplanes using 3D props and stock exhaust on the DA 85s, so with a clean airplane, and speed prop, look out...:)

Bob

LargeScale88 04-07-2010 06:57 PM

I've read lots of people who have p-51s that are like 35 to 40 pounds with a zenoah g62. I think it will get off the ground, may not be fast. It will prolly fly ok though.?

Gray Beard 04-07-2010 07:10 PM

I've read lots of people who have p-51s that are like 35 to 40 pounds with a zenoah g62. I think it will get off the ground, may not be fast. It will prolly fly ok though.?
Chain yanking, I have already said the 62 will fly the plane without any trouble. Did you bother looking at any of the High Flights from IMAA yet. I'm thinking that would be a no. You want the speed and have pockets full of cash then look at the DA engines, I have never met anyone that has gone wrong with a DA. Go into the giant scale forum and see what they are running and what weight there planes are. Go look at your choices, RCU and Google are your friends. Do the search and see what others are doing with the same plane. Read your post, you just answered your own question.

LargeScale88 04-07-2010 07:33 PM

Well, from what you told me, I need to choose a bigger engine. 3w75 would be a good choice??

BarracudaHockey 04-08-2010 08:37 AM

My DLE55 is on a plane thats under 16 lbs :D

ccostant 04-08-2010 12:33 PM

Gray Beard is correct. A G-62 will fly a 31 lb P-51 just fine. Just don't expect to be performing IMAC routines with it. I've seen more that one Byron P-51 @ ~30 lbs fly on a G-62 and a Byron Hellcat as well. I've flew the Byron Hellcat at 31 lbs. It was reasonably fast and although it would not do a very big loop, small loops were ok, and it would do most acrobatics maneuvers you would expect to see from a warbird. Another point of reference is I had an Ohio Extra 300 @ 24lbs powered with a G-62/Mejzlik 22x10 clocked at 117 mph straight and level.