RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   2 strokes vs. 4 strokes for cessna .46 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9658180-2-strokes-vs-4-strokes-cessna-46-a.html)

fapelbaum 04-13-2010 01:39 PM

2 strokes vs. 4 strokes for cessna .46

Hi I currently have a CMP Cessna .46 with a OS .46 FX, I just got as a gift a new engine, it is a Enya 53 4C (4 Strokes) I never had a 4 strokes, but would you recommend it for this plane or you think it might not give the same results? I have no clue how to measure how a 4 strokes 53 relates incomparisonto a 46fx 2 strokes!

thank you for your help

Jetdesign 04-13-2010 01:55 PM

RE: 2 strokes vs. 4 strokes for cessna .46

Scale planes sound a lot cooler with 4 strokes. I would guess that there will be a small lack in total power with the .53, but the power curve will be different and you will spin a different prop.

I believe there will not be a dramatic enough change in power to let that make your decision. 4 strokes are pretty awesome and if you have the opportunity to get started with one, I recommend doing so ;) Once I ran a 4 stroke, I decided to not buy any more 2 strokes.

fapelbaum 04-13-2010 02:23 PM

thank you for the info!! it really helps!

How or where can I find more information or a table of statistics to understand better the differences between engines, so I can understand better what a 53 means?
In my 46 i have a prop 11x7, what prop should I add to my 53 4c?

Also, the engine is shorter by almost one inch than the 46... so it doasnt go all the way out when I place back the cowl, what would you recommend to use to extend it, since I where not able to find a larger motor mount? I thought about wood but, it might be to heavy.... any ideas?

MikeL 04-13-2010 05:06 PM

A .53 just means that the engine displacement is .53 cubic inches.  Enya recommends an 11x7 prop for the break-in.  I'd suggest trying a 12x6, too.<div>
</div><div>You'll want a different motor mount that's a bit longer.  You might have to ask the hobby shop to order one for you, or pick one up online.</div><div>
</div><div>You may have to change your throttle pushrod's location, too.  There are two other things to think about as well.  The first is that your .53 will have a crank-case vent, where oil will slowly seep out while the engine runs.  You should run a short piece of fuel tubing from that to the outside of the cowl.  The second thing to keep in mind is that by changing engines, you've changed the balance point of the airplane by however much.  Re-check your CG before flight in order to make sure it's within the proper range.</div>

abacro 04-14-2010 10:25 AM

Hi,i have four Enya 53 four strokes and love them! They produce AWESOME power and will fly the heck out of your plane.Here is some info you will need on the 53's set up though. Do NOT mount it inverted because it will run terrible! It seams that the design of the 53's ( at least mine and all others i've seen) don't like being upside down. On their sides is ok,but when mounted right side up,they run fantastic! I have run allot of diff props on mine,from 10/8's to 12/8's but so far the best prop i have found to be is the Gruptner 11/7.5. I get 10,100 rpms on the ground and guessing about 11k in the air! I'm running 15% Byron 4 stroke fuel with a cheapo Fox rc long idle bar plug.Just for fun last week,i ran some of my Byron YS 20/20 fuel in one,and OH MY GOD!!!! this thing either found another gear,or gained another 1/3rd in power! Looks like i'll be running more 20/20 in all my 53's! You cant go wrong with almost any 4 strok though. As to power comparison to a 2 stroke,i'd say my 53's have about the same as my 45 and 50 OS FSR's. I say this because i have flown the same planes with each motor by just swapping the engines. And yes i did have to reroute the throttle rods,but that's no big deal. The glow plug adapter is a must,and must be grounded to the engine no matter where you put it. I mount mine to one of the motor mounting bolts.( the bolts that hold the motor to the mount,not mount to firewall) you can mount them further back if you like,just solder a piece of wire from the adapters edge to a loop,and mount the loop to the motor's mounting lug.

Hope this info help's you out!

Good Flying,Art

Gray Beard 04-14-2010 07:30 PM

I have never seen a chart showing the difference between a four or two stroke but back not too many years ago four strokes were quite a bit under powered compared to the two strokes of the same size. If you were running a .60 two stroke to get the plane to fly the same you would go to a .91 four stroke. Today there is still a bit of difference but it isn't all that great compared years past. Like Joe pointed out, the .46 and your new .53 aren't that far off the mark and you can run different props to make up for it. I don't run the Enyas so can't anything about how they run.

Stick 40 04-14-2010 08:46 PM

I feel the same way about the newer four stroke power to 2 stroke.

I have several saito's and I think the saito .56 is equal or the same as any 2 storke .46 to .52. I started with satio .50 and thought they flew my .40 size planes very well.

I would have to believe that a Enya 4 would be about the same as what I have seen in my saito's.

In short, yes go with the four stroke and don't look back.

sticks

Gray Beard 04-14-2010 08:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Stick 40

I feel the same way about the newer four stroke power to 2 stroke.

I have several saito's and I think the saito .56 is equal or the same as any 2 storke .46 to .52. I started with satio .50 and thought they flew my .40 size planes very well.

I would have to believe that a Enya 4 would be about the same as what I have seen in my saito's.

In short, yes go with the four stroke and don't look back.

sticks
I don't use the smaller engines and I'm down to only one two stroke in use at the moment, it's an SK .91 and a true stump puller. It is designed for low RPM and high torque and throws a big prop like a four stroke. I have changed engines in different planes between the SK and the OS .91 four stroke. I like the four strokes better but I would say the SK still has more power, just not as much difference as there used to be. Four strokes are getting closer!! Then there are my YS engines but that's another story.