RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Safer EZ-Connectors (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9669318-safer-ez-connectors.html)

sharon whipple 04-18-2010 02:37 AM

Safer EZ-Connectors

Hi all
Can anyone please recommend safer EZ - connectors?
I found these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DUB605-E-Z-Conne...-/220585859860
They are usually ok, but for my larger plane I am looking for safer ones,
I will be glad to hear recommendations

Thank you

Bozarth 04-18-2010 03:34 AM

RE: Safer EZ-Connectors

They work fine on throttle and nosewheel stearing on my .40-1.40 sport and pattern models. I use them for no other reason than they are fine (and easy) for the applications. I am aware that they will pobably fail at some point of time but I am willing to take the risk on my nosewheel steering and throttle. In my pylon racers I don't have nosewheel steering to wory about but I do worry about this type of throttle conection. After some risk evaluation, and having several failures, I no longer use them on my pylon racers for throttle. I use a z bend at the servo.

I have heard many, many modelers tell us of the extreme steps they take to minimize the risk of failure, allowing them to use them on primary flight control components. A level of risk, inherent in the design, is still there.

Bottom Line: Most would agree they work fine on throttles and nose gears. It's subjective bejond that.

Edwin 04-18-2010 05:56 AM

I use them on 60 sized and smaller on flight controls. There have been many occasions after a crash where the servo arm broke and the quick link was still attached. The metal disks are what you want to use to hold it to the servo arm. Bigger than 60 and up to 120 sized get clevises on both ends. Giants get heli type ball links screwed into servo arms and control horns.
Edwin

ARUP 04-18-2010 07:19 AM

I never use them. Many folks have no problems with them. My preference is for threaded connector (clevis, ball link, etc.) with a jamb nut on one end and a non-adjustable link or 'Z' bend on the other.

KW_Counter 04-18-2010 09:01 AM

I use them on control surfaces and I fly 40 size planes.
I discussed the failure problem with the DuBro rep at the
AMA show in SoCal. He was not aware of any problems.
However, he stated to NOT reuse them after dis-assembly.
I prefer the metal clips and I don't reuse them.
I do reuse the brass body.
In all of my crashes I have never been able to attribute them to
a failed EZ-Connector.
Do what YOU are comfortable with.
Good Luck,
KW_Counter

sharon whipple 04-26-2010 07:06 AM

I think it will be safer to use metal clips
Thank you all for the info!

Gray Beard 04-26-2010 12:28 PM

I have used them even on giant scale planes using the metal keeper. The big problem with them is they will loosen up and you will start getting slop in your controls. NOthing you can do about that, it's just the nature of the beast. I have assembled ARFs for people and found some EZs that use a threaded locking pin that seem to work better but haven't found any hoby shop that has them on hand.

jester_s1 04-26-2010 06:37 PM

Strength of these connectors isn't the issue. You will definitely break a control arm before breaking an EZ connector. The issue is wear. With every movement, the wire compresses and the brass body stretches. If the servo isn't perfectly square to the control rod, you also get a twisting motion which makes it happen much faster. With nothing but friction holding the whole thing together it doesn't take much for it to let go. If you are the meticulous sort who checks the torque on every screw before flying, it's doubtful that you'll have problems. But I prefer a connection that requires a complete break to fail, such as a Z bend or clevis.

tailskid 04-26-2010 07:07 PM

Pre-flight; Pre-flight; Pre-flight....and you won't have problems....