RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Tapeing Control serfaces, whats the deal? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/971316-tapeing-control-serfaces-whats-deal.html)

SpaceCase 07-18-2003 11:57 PM

Tapeing Control serfaces, whats the deal?

So folks tape aerolons and other control serfaces, I understand it makes things more secure but how does one go about doing this?

Gene Chernosky 07-19-2003 03:34 AM

Taping/sealing hinge gaps

I guess you could use tape or covering. Covering would be my choice as it is lighter, could be matched to the color of the plane and is ready for immediate use. If you used any self-stick material/tape simply spray the area down with water or a mild solution of cleaner and get the tape in place. Then wipe it down with a soft cloth or facial tissue to weep up the moisture and then let it set for a day or two

Sealing the hinge gap doesn't necessarily make things stronger, but I guess it could help a little. The main advantage is the control surface does more of what it is supposed to do...control. To put it simple, when there is a hinge gap turbulence is created and some of the air goes through the gap instead of staying on the side you want it to...the larger the gap the worse the problem can be.

Hurri 07-20-2003 12:33 AM

as "the village idiot" says , the main idea is to seal the gap & make the aileron or elev; more efficient . What is wrong using
Dave Brown products Trimseal, "clear control surfacesealing material ". it is cheap , transparent, & does a good job

flianbrian 07-20-2003 01:23 AM

Dave Brown products Trimseal, "clear control surfacesealing material ". it is cheap , transparent, & does a good job
One can get transparent Monokote or Ultracoat also. Good if a design has multiple colors at the hingeline.

Miloh 07-20-2003 02:32 PM

(but how does one go about doing this?)

If done wrong the control surface will not have the proper amount of travel.

First remove the control rod, move the control surface to the far most travel in the down position, iron your strip of gap sealer to the top of the wing making sure to seal it to the back of the wing all the way down to the hinge point, then to the control surface from the hinge point up to and over on to the top. Then repete process on the bottom side.
The object is to not impede the travel of the control surface.
Hope this is the info your looking for. If this is not clear or understandable do to my lack of communication skills let me know and I'll take some pictures of one I'm working on now and post them for you.

Miloh.

flianbrian 07-20-2003 04:59 PM

Most tips I've read recommend sealing just one half (e.g. the bottom of the ailerons) of the hinge line. I'm not sure if there's any benifit to doing both sides. After all, one strip stops the airflow through the gap as well as a double layer.

Miloh 07-21-2003 12:59 AM

For the puropse of stopping air flow one side would be fine but I would and did recommend both sides.
Sealing the gap is also good to aid in the prevention of control surface flutter.

Miloh.

Borzak 07-21-2003 01:27 AM

Well I'm newbie.....

I gap sealed the ailerons on my avistar (don't laff) on both sides for one reason.

The ailerons were already installed on the torque rod but not hinged, meaning they were attached to the wing and I couldn't get them off. The torque rod cutout in the aileron wasn't quite deep enough to completely make it flush.

Result - when hinged there was a good 3/32 1/8" gap and I hated the look of it. So I used monokote on the top and bottom to get rid of the gap.

Added bonus was we fly off grass and I've noticed it's much easier to clean up the grass clippings off the plane if they're not stuck in the gaps like I have in the rudder/elevator.

SpaceCase 07-21-2003 02:05 AM

Can you just use MonoKote trim tape to do this? You know the kind that you get to put trim on a model?

Miloh 07-21-2003 02:57 AM

Yes you can!!!! Had not thought of it but it's most likely the most easy to do it.

Miloh.

Borzak 07-21-2003 04:04 AM

Originally posted by SpaceCase
Can you just use MonoKote trim tape to do this? You know the kind that you get to put trim on a model?
You talking of using actual monokote or the trim stuff that's self adhesive?

Using something that's self adhesive seems like it would be a pain compared to iron on covering - since I had to lay down one half of the strip (either on the wing or the aileron first) and then deflect the surface fully and lay down the other half.

Miloh 07-21-2003 05:58 PM

It could be done with either but I suspect your correct, iron on would be the easiest.

Miloh.

Miloh 07-21-2003 05:59 PM

Don't know what I was thinking in post #10 the iron on would be less trouble to deal with.

Miloh.