RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   OS91FS loose front bearing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9902077-os91fs-loose-front-bearing.html)

ozspit 07-31-2010 08:31 PM

OS91FS loose front bearing

I have an OS 91 FS Surpass II which runs beautifully, nice idle, smooth transition and generally very reliable. Its had a lot of use now and the front bearing is a bit loose in the housing (bearing itself is ok) resulting in a bit of lateral prop shaft movement and hence vibration generally resulting in me losing prop nut mounted Al spinners (expensive!)
I have tried Loctite and shimming but these only seem last a couple of flights before the bearing is once oagain spinning in the crankcase housing and the lateral movement and vibration returns.
Apart from buying another crankcase, can anyone suggest a longer lasting fix?

Live Wire 07-31-2010 10:01 PM

RE: OS91FS loose front bearing

Other than a new case, JB weld may work. A very thin coat to build up the housing. But I would get a new bearing, the housing may be worn a little.

w8ye 07-31-2010 10:10 PM

Get a new case if it is a Surpass II

If it is the older Surpass I , the cases are no longer available

Gray Beard 07-31-2010 10:22 PM

Did you by any chance rebuild the engine using BOCA bearings?? I got some bad ones from them but the front bearing started leaking-FLOWING fuel the first time I I fired up the engine. A new set of bearings from a different bearing company cured my problem. The minute your bearing started spinning your case was probably destroyed. You can try installing a new bearing just to see if it is still a press fit. A good new bearing requires you to heat up the case to tap it in.

Villa 08-01-2010 07:07 AM

I am surprised that using Loctite did not correct the problem. As a result I suspect that the case is cracked in the area of the bearing.

Gray Beard 08-01-2010 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Villa

I am surprised that using Loctite did not correct the problem. As a result I suspect that the case is cracked in the area of the bearing.
If it has been spinning a long time the bearing may have worn the case enough to the point nothing will stop it. Oz could measure the ID of the case and call someone like rcbearing.com and see if they have a bearing that is just over sized enough for a press fit into the worn case?? Just a thought?? Have it spot welded in?? Clean the case and JB weld?? Just thinking from a guy that couldn't afford a new case.:)

aerowoof 08-01-2010 04:28 PM

should be using red or green locktite as the heat will soften the white and blue

ozspit 08-03-2010 06:28 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I did use blue Loctite. I'll try a red. No not BOCA bearings, NHP I think. A new crankcase is about half a new engine price wise and given previous replacement parts, its getting to be a bit like grandpa's axe. I'll try a few of your suggestions and save my money for a new pumped one! Half the fun is in the tinkering!