RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Monocote patch over Ultra coat (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9934636-monocote-patch-over-ultra-coat.html)

Roo Man 08-15-2010 08:41 AM

Monocote patch over Ultra coat

Can I use a small pc. [ 1" x 2"] Monokote patch on top of a small hole on my wing. If I can, do I se hot iron [setting?] or will the Windex application methgod work?

Don't want to buy a whole roll of white Ultrcoat for a very small hole. Packing tape on it now.

Gary

LesUyeda 08-15-2010 09:15 AM

RE: Monocote patch over Ultra coat

I don't think you can do that. I have not been active in quite a while now, but as I recollect, Monokote is high temperature required, and Ultra Kote is low temperature.

Les

DavidAgar 08-15-2010 09:28 AM

The heat is an issue, but you can put your Monokote patch on with Windex. Just make sure that the area to be repaired is as clean as possible. Good Luck, Dave

Roo Man 08-15-2010 09:33 AM

Thanks for your information.

Will try the Windex method.

I just bought a Twist with Ultra coat and it has been in storage for quite some time and has several wrinkles in the covering. What temp should I use? I assume an iron is the best method especially if heat is an issue.

Gary

ChuckW 08-15-2010 10:28 AM

I've done it when I was in a bind. The different shrinking temps could create an issue but not if you are careful. In fact, I sometimes like using Monokote as trim over Ultracoat because you can use windex or trim solvent.

Use the Windex like you mentioned and get the patch as smooth and tight as possible to begin with. After the Windex dries overnight, get your iron just hot enough to activate the Monokote adhesive and make sure it is stuck down. Then gradually turn you iron up to tighten the Monkote if it needs it.
<br type="_moz" />

DavidAgar 08-15-2010 09:11 PM

If you are shrinking the Ultracoat, keep the heat at about 225 degrees. The Monokote will need about 300 to 325. As mentioned, when shrinking the Monokote on top of the Ultracoat, bring the temp up slowly. If all you are doing is removing a few wrinkles, you may want to consider a heat gun. Just slowly move the heat gun over the surface of the plane and the wrinkles will disappear. Good Luck, once again, Dave

Hewey19 08-16-2010 07:40 AM

Could you just use some trim sheet to patch it?

ForcesR 08-16-2010 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Roo Man

Can I use a small pc. [ 1" x 2"] Monokote patch on top of a small hole on my wing. If I can, do I se hot iron [setting?] or will the Windex application methgod work?

Don't want to buy a whole roll of white Ultrcoat for a very small hole. Packing tape on it now.

Gary
Using Monokote over Ultracote is not a problem, your heating iron should be set from 275 to 300 degrees. Here is a picture of my H9 Spitfire, the lettering and white band on the tailare Monokote over top of the Ultracote. Monokote adheres very well to Ultracote.

Roger

MinnFlyer 08-16-2010 10:20 AM

If it's a small hole, after the area is CLEAN, just put a few drops of acetone on the area, place the patch and quickly squeegie out the excess. It will NEVER come off!

Roo Man 08-16-2010 03:55 PM

Thanks to all, acetone sounds like the way I will go.

Gary

DavidAgar 08-16-2010 11:14 PM

Just make sure that there are no pilot lights around when you open the acetone. If there is, you may have a bigger hole to fix..... Dave