RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Airplane Storage Method Pros and Cons (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9939740-airplane-storage-method-pros-cons.html)

JohnBuckner 12-03-2011 10:27 PM

RE: Airplane Storage Method Pros and Cons

1 Attachment(s)
These hangers are bent up very easily by hand from 1/4 inch soft iron rod which is very cheap at around three bucks (the last time I checked anyway) for twenty foot lengths.

They are ideal for hanging airplanes that you wish to keep assembled and they work well with the airplane upside down or upright.

John

madatme 12-04-2011 03:44 AM

just wondering because the fill hose from my pump has a color change to it and a heli I had the hose had dry rot and crumbled like a cracker, some of our models can be a real pain to replace fuel lines

mike31 12-04-2011 04:19 AM

Run the engine dry then flood with Corrosion X. Hang them anyway you can. Corrosion X is great stuff.

DustBen 12-04-2011 04:47 AM

I hang mine from the ceiling.
I've had so many that I had to stack them with wings between each other.

Some real little ones, I hang on the wall from their tail wheels.
I don't use a rubber type stopper to hold fuel... electrics!

I use Gramma's curio cabinet to display my radios. It keeps the dust off 'em.

I use the spare bedroom as my stockroom. Big kits, covering materials, boxes of wheels and canopies... stacks of balsa sheet and plywood, and other items like my flight box, charging equipment, and spare LiPos that I don't want coated with balsa dust go in there also.

I use the other spare bedroom as my paint booth.

There're huge advantages to not re-marrying; I learned my lesson!

OldScaleGuy 12-04-2011 04:58 AM

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

These hangers are bent up very easily by hand from 1/4 inch soft iron rod which is very cheap at around three bucks (the last time I checked anyway) for twenty foot lengths.

They are ideal for hanging airplanes that you wish to keep assembled and they work well with the airplane upside down or upright.

John
For my smaller electric planes i make hangars similar to these out of wire coat hangers and slide a piece of fuel tubing over the ends for some added protection, then hang them nose down.

Most of the gas/glow i try to storage horizontally but i don't think it makes a big difference, horizontal, nose up or nose down.

biam 12-04-2011 06:20 AM

John, your oganizational skills are to be admired! Next time I get to thinking that I have too many in the hanger I'm going to re-read this thread, great idea on the hangers also.:)

lopflyers 12-04-2011 07:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: biam

Here is half of my hangar. The other half didnt fit the picture but its the same. Not that I store them too long, since we fly year long here.
But they are safe in between flies and out of reach of my wi...oops children

hobby_man 12-04-2011 07:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
HERE IS MY STORAGE

maukaonyx 12-04-2011 08:09 AM

John, I would have a hard time not hitting those hanging planes with other planes, my hands, my head, etc, but I would get used to it. While it looks crowded, yours is the most fun kind of RC plane man cave because there is so much to look at and have fun with!! It's like a good hobby shop...PACKED TO THE GILLS WITH STUFF. Hey, I like the old Cox and KB fuel cans on the shelves. Keep up the addiction. Jon

Joe Dirr 12-04-2011 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Shaggy,

Another method for storing models is to use a product called 'Slatwall' (aka Display Wall), which is very adaptable and great for hanging multiple models in a confined space.

Slatwall is typically made from MDF, is available in a variety of colors and is relatively inexpensive; likely due to its widespread use in department stores the world over. Average cost between $35-$60/ 4'x8' sheet.

Further, the 'hardware' e.g. bookshelf brackets, hooks and literature brackets available for Slatwall is extensive and also relatively inexpensive. I use the bookshelf brackets and hang the model by its main gear; 'nose up'- see photos.

You can do an online search and usually find a distributor in your area, who sells Slatwall and or the matching hardware.

For larger heavier models I use 3/4" black pipe, which is anchored to the ceiling and runs down to the floor, which transmits most of the load to the floor. The arms of the black pipe swivel to accommodate each model.

I have a small shop measuring 8' x 26', which I have lined with Slatwall. It's amazing how much 'stuff' you can get in a confined area while maintaining optimum organization; I hate a messy shop!

Hope this helps, :D
Joe

aspeed 12-04-2011 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like to store them level but have no room, I always drain the fuel. After a winter (or few) the alcohol evaporates and the oil gums up needle valves, bearings and drips on the floor if there is any fuel left at all and nose down. If it is nose up it plugs up the clunk but the bearings are dry and can rust if you don't keep up on it. The tubing has to be replaced as well as the stoppper occasionally no matter what. I think it is better empty though. I use the hooks like the other picture Isaw with coat hanger wire. (tubing over would be better) I heard electrics nose down and nitro nose up.See if Icando some pictures.

aspeed 12-04-2011 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't have very big planes, but am going to have to go bigger now because it is windier where I live now. I keep those under tables and in the machine shop part out in the shed, and bring them in when I work on them. Now if Icould only get some workbench space.