RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Basswood Spar Warped! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9957409-basswood-spar-warped.html)

LargeScale88 08-24-2010 06:03 PM

Basswood Spar Warped!

Hello,

I have a wing I'm getting ready to build, and I found the Basswood main spar has a severe warp. So I soaked in water for awhile, and clamped it tight on a straight table, and that didn't do nothing. So I tried it again, nothing. Its a special cut spar from GP that I can't get off tower hobbies in the 36" length.

Any other tricks or ways to TRY and get the warp out?

Thanks

ARUP 08-24-2010 06:10 PM

RE: Basswood Spar Warped!

How about purchasing some basswood stock and ripping a new one? If the wing uses 2 spars connected with shear webbing then find the other spar that has some 'bend' to counter the warped one. Once the shear webbing is attached the spar will stay straight, anyway.

blikseme300 08-24-2010 06:15 PM

I never try to fight mother nature in trying to straighten warped wood. We puny humans always lose anyway.

+1 for just getting another spar or cutting your own. I have been able to get basswood at my local Hobby Lobby as well as some home improvement stores.

Bliksem

w8ye 08-24-2010 06:55 PM

Poplar, Douglas Fir, Sitka Spruce, Basswood, and various pines all work well if the grain is straight and clear. Though the spruce is the best, there's not enough difference in these to get excited about.

You just need a nice table saw to saw them to shape

At some Lowe's you can get the poplar.

LargeScale88 08-24-2010 07:26 PM

Ok thanks guys. I went down the LHS and bought a big chunk of basswood, and lowes to get the poplar, and I gotta leave to go start sawing it, and the other warped spar became spare wood.

Gray Beard 08-24-2010 07:56 PM

In your plans or instructions you should have seen what to do with warped spars, it's in most instructions. You take two spars with a warp and install them bend to bend to counter act the warp. Warped spars are pretty normal in kits. I find straight grained hard wood and rip my own in different sizes and have them on hand in 8 foot lengths, After it is cut it will warp even laying flat on my wood shelf. One of my tricks is to not cut my spars until the day I'm ready to build the wings.

TedMo 08-24-2010 08:06 PM

Is it bowed or twisted? Whatever it is you should be able to correct it by soaking and clamping as you as you did, Then dry it by using your heat gun. That has much greater affect then just air drying. You may have to bow it slightly in opposite direction.

j.duncker 08-24-2010 08:11 PM

The wooden boat builders reckon you have to steam the wood to get it to take a permanent set.

Only helped someone else do it but it seemed to do the trick.

bit of tube

a kettle

10 ? minutes steaming then clamp it just beyond straight

LargeScale88 08-25-2010 07:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think its more twisted than anything. its a 1/4x3x8 spar. The 1/4" side lays on plans, and the way I'm holding it, is how it lays on the plans so it would twist the whole wing.

Augie11 08-25-2010 08:12 AM

Ripping a new spar is the way to go provided you can find the wood. I've tried the old 'align the warps in opposite directions' routine and it seems to work but it just makes me uncomfortable. Somehow having one stress cancel out another just bothers me!

LargeScale88 08-25-2010 03:20 PM

Thanks Augie. I had some spare basswood, cut my size with the table saw, but I forgot to take into consideration about the width of the blade, which chopped a little more than planned. I'll have to go buy another batch, and I'll give it a shot.</p>