RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Balsa to Foam glueing??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9964102-balsa-foam-glueing.html)

CGCINC 08-27-2010 05:15 PM

Balsa to Foam glueing???

I bought a used foam plane off Craigslist todayand it wasnosed hard into the ground.
I need to make a new firewallfor the engine to mount so I'm going to use Balsa glued to the foam.I'm wondering what typeof glue would work for both materials?

I have Super Gold CA thick and thin.....

DMcQuinn 08-27-2010 05:27 PM

RE: Balsa to Foam glueing???

Regular CA tends to melt some types of foam so be careful with that. Odorless CA or "foam-safe" CA will work fine. I like gorilla glue (polyurethane wood glue). A little bit goes a long way.

ChuckW 08-27-2010 05:30 PM

Yep, foam-safe CA. Some foams are compaitble with regular CA but most are not. A little epoxy might work as well.

CGCINC 08-27-2010 05:30 PM

ORIGINAL: DMcQuinn

Regular CA tends to melt some types of foam so be careful with that. Odorless CA or "foam-safe" CA will work fine. I like gorilla glue (polyurethane wood glue). A little bit goes a long way.
Ok, thanks!! I have the foam safe CA but I really don't think it works that good. I'll give gorilla a try! Do they make Gorilla is a Clear glue?

CGCINC 08-27-2010 05:32 PM

So the CA works on Balsa as well?

DMcQuinn 08-27-2010 06:54 PM

Yes, CA works on balsa. Almost anything actually.
Gorilla Glue is brown and looks like maple syrup. It foams up a little when it cures and turns a lighter color - sort of light brown or even yellowish.

vicman 08-27-2010 08:41 PM

Foam safe CA works a ton better with kicker.
Gorilla glue is the bomb but as mentioned it has a brown color. The new quick dry Gorilla glue is pretty clear/white but is a little rubbery from my tests. If you aren't going to high performance and don't want the brown it most likely will work fine.
I have used the regular stuff on many of my foamy repairs with great success.

ChuckW 08-27-2010 11:14 PM

You definitely need the kicker for foam-safe CA. The way I understand it, the CA curing process is set off with the moisture content in wood. I could be wrong but I believe that is how it works. That moisture isn't present in foam so the kicker is needed to cure it properly.

CGCINC 08-27-2010 11:24 PM

Well I've got some kicker but have not used it... Need to get a spray bottle.I'll have to try it!</p>

big max 1935 08-28-2010 12:16 AM

Are you using a engine (glow fuel ) or a motor (electric)? If glow a balsa firewall won't cut it . You need plywood & not lite ply either . Best all around glue for firewalls is epoxy,30 minute is best. Max H. :)

CGCINC 08-28-2010 08:07 AM

This is an electric trainer. BUT, the motor feels like it has a lot of torque so maybe plywood is better.I'm going to the hobby store today so I'll check out my options.