RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Bought a box of goodies..... Is this worth selling? Pics.. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/9988697-bought-box-goodies-worth-selling-pics.html)

CGCINC 09-08-2010 02:10 PM

Bought a box of goodies..... Is this worth selling? Pics..

I bought a box of RC plane stuff from a guy getting out of it.
Just a bunch of misc. parts n pieces but it did have an O.S. 40LA motor with the motor mount.
The guy said heran it about 5 times.

Is this worth selling or should I hang on to it?

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...t/IMG_0722.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...t/IMG_0726.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...IMG_0737-1.jpg

oldvet70 09-08-2010 02:30 PM

RE: Bought a box of goodies..... Is this worth selling? Pics..

Kind of depends on what you paid for it.

CGCINC 09-08-2010 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: oldvet70

Kind of depends on what you paid for it.
Nothing.... $10 for the box with Futaba S3003 servos, clips, screws, some tools, tires, wheels, old Futaba reciever (FP-R127DF 7ch.), Futaba Skysport Tx, and a little more misc. The motor was tossed in the box because he didn't need it.
I don't plan on goingto gas till I get Really good at flying....WhenI do convert, I doubt I will use this engine because I like bigger planes.!?!?!

ro347 09-08-2010 03:13 PM

Nice pictures!

Charlie P. 09-08-2010 03:13 PM

Is this worth selling?
It was for him. :)

The engine (glow, not gas) is worth $5 if it runs ($10 if it hadn't been pronked hard enough to chip the carb barrel and possibly suck in dirt & metal fragments). The receiver maybe that, but 72mHz are being given away at our club as folks are switching to 2.4gHz. The tools probably were worth more, depending.

CGCINC 09-08-2010 03:16 PM

ORIGINAL: ro347

Nice pictures!
LOL.... Thats taken in the Styrofoam box I got my saltwater fish shipment in. Worked pretty good for what I used.

I guess I'll just hang on to the engine..... I figured I could get $40 out of the engine and mount but I guess not.

Charlie P. 09-08-2010 03:22 PM

I've got one new in the box and they go for $50. They are good little engines but common as rocks. And as heavy.

Gray Beard 09-08-2010 04:48 PM

Ten bucks you did OK. The little LA engine would be OK in something like an Up-Roar if you built it light. I have a couple of them that were used for 40 size trainers. They do the job but the .46 LA is a lot better. You may like bigger planes but that .40 may be your first stab at flying something that will help you to learn to fly when you are finished with your electrics. You may want to give an Up-Roar kit a thought and start building now that the weather is changing and you have some free time. Just something to think about.;)

carrellh 09-08-2010 04:49 PM

That aluminum mount (if it has "OS" cast into it) probably cost as much as the engine. Unfortunately it also weighs a ton so many people would not want to use it.
You could build a SIG LT-25 http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGRC74.html and use the engine on it.

edit: I just saw the holes in the engine mount in front of and behind the engine mounting lugs. That makes me think it originally came on an ARF. Nothing wrong with that but it means it didn't cost a fortune.

CGCINC 09-08-2010 05:09 PM

Man, I thought I got a bargain...... it's just a box full of old junk. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...used_smile.gif

carrellh 09-08-2010 05:12 PM

Man, I thought I got a bargain...... it's just a box full of old junk.
I do not think it is junk, but it's not worth a lot of cash.
For $10 total you did get a bargain.

CGCINC 09-08-2010 05:12 PM

What is the thing in the last picture with the tubes and rubber grommet. Is that just a way to get the gas through the firewall of the plane?

And if yes, does the clear tube with the aluminum end go into the tank?
Where would the curved aluminum tube go?

carrellh 09-08-2010 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: CGCINC

What is the thing in the last picture with the tubes and rubber grommet. Is that just a way to get the gas through the firewall of the plane?

It is the stopper assembly that goes in a fuel tank. I'll try to find a picture or drawing.
I copied these pictures from http://www.gettingairborne.com/engines.html

CGCINC 09-08-2010 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: carrellh

It is the stopper assembly that goes in a fuel tank. I'll try to find a picture or drawing.

So the vent that goes back to the tank from the muffler... Why is that there? To vent the sealed tank?

And thanks for the link and pics!

scooterinvegas 09-08-2010 07:00 PM

You could clean it out really good and use it as a paperweight LOL

The tank is pressurized from the exhaust to push the fuel to the carb. It's not really a "vent".

Gray Beard 09-08-2010 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: carrellh

So the vent that goes back to the tank from the muffler... Why is that there? To vent the sealed tank?

And thanks for the link and pics!
Mike and Ken have gone to a lot of trouble writing how tos and what planes, they are stickies or written in the RCU magazine. Mike even did a great why build and getting started. For someone that wanted to jump right into giant scale it may do you some good to look these things up. These small glow planes are the stepping stone to learning about engines and aircraft set up. If you don't learn the basics you will never be able to advance. There are books in most hobby shops for getting started too, as bad as the magazines are today you may want to start reading them too. Fuel tank set up is one of the easiest basic things you will have to know. Starting a little glow engine is a lot easier then a big gas engine on a giant scale. Your electric trainer will only teach you TX control and basic flying. You can learn a lot from reading.

CGCINC 09-08-2010 07:53 PM

Mike and Ken have gone to a lot of trouble writing how tos and what planes, they are stickies or written in the RCU magazine. Mike even did a great why build and getting started. For someone that wanted to jump right into giant scale it may do you some good to look these things up. These small glow planes are the stepping stone to learning about engines and aircraft set up. If you don't learn the basics you will never be able to advance. There are books in most hobby shops for getting started too, as bad as the magazines are today you may want to start reading them too. Fuel tank set up is one of the easiest basic things you will have to know. Starting a little glow engine is a lot easier then a big gas engine on a giant scale. Your electric trainer will only teach you TX control and basic flying. You can learn a lot from reading.
That's exactly what I'm doing... Learning..Reading..Asking..Doing
I did have Big dreams in the beginningafter watching some stunt flyers but I have come to my senses.
I wanted to start with electric to learn the controls and basically how the planes "feel" in the sky (even thought they are foam and light as a feather and probably act Nothing like a "real" plane)without having to deal with nitro/gas at the same time. Next year I will jump up to gas.
THISis what I've got my eye on for my first gasser....

I've got Two electric Cessna's (had a wing foldup on one but replaced it)and an electricP47 that I'm saving for down the road. And really, these electrics fly nicely and are really easy to toss in the truck and go fly. I went to a Pattern event two weeks ago and half of those guy's ran electric on Big planes so I don't think a plane being electric automatically makes it "not a real plane"!?!? I know you didn't say that but I just feel like the power system is a personal choice......

Gray Beard 09-08-2010 08:24 PM

No, I didn't say that, I was big into IMAA giant events for years and I have seen huge planes under electric power. What I am saying is to start reading the how to and basic stuff so you can learn what all this strange stuff is. Due to high winds I started building another electric plane today. I was given a couple very old 1/2A kits and these little planes lend themselves to electric. I understand gas and glow but I have to go onto Wattflyer {at the bottom of the header} to get the basic information I need for anything electric. Before I ask any questions I read the getting started in electric first thing, they also have a FAQ section I go through, I read first so I have some idea of what I'm doing then I ask my questions in the beginners forum. I joind the WF site when I built my first little electric and have so much fun with it the guys have threatened to take it away from me. This new one should fly a lot hotter, my first one only has throttle, rudder and elevator, this one only has throttle, ailerons and rudder but it's a sleek little plane. It will be fast and handle better, more like one of my pattern planes, well, kinda, no rudder may be a set back? I may add one too, being a kit it's easy to do now during the build. Electric is OK but when you started out it was a big gasser, you need to learn wet if you plan to go gas. The little .40 would be a great teacher.

hsukaria 09-09-2010 02:49 AM

About 3 years ago I got a whole bunch of old RC stuff from a co-worker for $20. I think you got a much better deal than I did, even though I still think that I got a great deal. Here's why. His junk pile included an old trainer plane, an old radio, and an OS Max 20. But it also included a few rolls of Monokote (Econokote?) and a box of miscellaneous hardware(fuel tanks, wheels, hinges, pushrods, screws, control horns, etc...). I have used that hardware everytime I build an ARF or have to replace a piece that doesn't function properly, such as junk hardware from a cheap ARF.

I threw away the obsolete radio (AM with dead batteries) and plane (too heavy). The engine is in its original box and don't know what to put it in. Any ideas?

You mentioned you got some Futaba 3003 servos, those are worth at least $10 each. So you got a deal. You can use those on a sport flyer/trainer with the OS 40LA.

Luchnia 09-09-2010 06:03 AM

Man, I thought I got a bargain...... it's just a box full of old junk. [img][/img]
Here are a couple of things to think about. Take the info or leave it behind. Hopefully you can get something from this.

Until you get familiar with the RC parts "game" then maybe find someone in your area that knows RC parts and ask them before you make a purchase. This could save you some coin bigtime. A lot of these guys are game players. I have seen them try to get more for an engine than it cost new playing on someone's ignorance. Also, look at RCU marketplace and get feedback from others and so on. Of course, use the forum here as well. There is a wealth of knowledgeable good people here on RCU.

Believe me, people will act like they are doing you a favor and the whole time chucking a knife in your back when it comes to RC parts. You gotta be shrewd and wise. Just be extra careful and ask about the seller if you need to. If you don't know, then get someone who does know.

It is just like anything these days, you must be a wise buyer. You did not get a bad deal, but it is nothing to write home about. I have seen guys give these engines away. As a matter of fact I threw some engines like that (I think it was a magnum) in with a box of stuff I sold someone just to let them have them and I knew they ran good.

One other thing works out well for me. If I need a certain part and someone has a box of "junk" to sell and the part is in the box then I will pay a certain price for that part and the rest is just free. If you find anything else of value then that is just icing on the cake, if not you have lost nothing but a little time sorting through stuff.

You do have to watch though, because sometimes you will spend much, much more sorting through a box of junk than you will if you had of just ordered the part new. Think about it. You could spend gas going after a box of parts and then hours of time digging through for a 4 dollar engine mount :D Certainly, that is not the smartest move when you could order it new in less than five minutes.

One thing about RC, you tend to learn these things after you put some time in this hobby ;)

RCFlyerDan 09-09-2010 06:31 AM

That engine has been run more then 5 times. Kind of gullable there? An old LA .40 isn't worth anymore then $10-$25, if you are lucky and you clean it up.

hsukaria 09-09-2010 07:01 AM

The descriptioni of what he bought has other valuable things other than the engine. How many servos did he get? Futaba 3003 are decent standard servos. When you go to the LHS and spend $2 for a set of 4 screws, he got a bunch of hardware in that $10 purchase that can be wisely used in future projects. So, even if the engine and radio are worthless, the other stuff is not.

mistermnkim 09-09-2010 07:56 AM

hey ill give you 25.00 for all of it!! :D

CGCINC 09-09-2010 08:05 AM

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

The descriptioni of what he bought has other valuable things other than the engine. How many servos did he get? Futaba 3003 are decent standard servos. When you go to the LHS and spend $2 for a set of 4 screws, he got a bunch of hardware in that $10 purchase that can be wisely used in future projects. So, even if the engine and radio are worthless, the other stuff is not.

For sure... The motor was laying on a shelf and I asked about it so he threw it in. The main thing I wanted in the box was the bigger wheel/tires for my Cessna since I'm taking off in grass. There was probably 100 asst. screws/bolts/nuts/washers/locking nuts.As for tools, there was a couple hex drivers, a few small screwdrivers, one pair of needle nose and a smartcut trimmer whatever that is. There was a fuel bottle with an old can of fuel (no good I'm sure) and a chicken stik. Also had some junk.....tape, almost gone glues, old exacto and an old soldering iron that's been well used.
3 Futaba 3003 servos....the old 72 TX and the Rx.

hsukaria 09-09-2010 08:28 AM

The servos are at least $10 each new. Factor in the cost of new wheels at the hobby shop, future use of the screws and other hardware that will nickel and dime you at the LHS, you made a great deal.

I also bet that engine runs great too. I have an engine that sat in the basement for 11 years without use. I re-started it 4 years ago without any trouble, have been using it extensively ever since without a glitch.

I hear that the OS 40LA is weak on power, but it is very easy to use and a great starter engine for trainers and fun planes like the Uproar (previously mentioned), Hangar 9 Tribute, Sig Fazer, Model Tech Magic, etc....If you don't want it, somebody would buy it off you if at a low price, say $20 or less.

But you would still get to keep the other stuff that is worth a lot.