Notices

86" Progress Reports

Old 04-04-2007, 08:23 AM
marzo91
My Feedback: (57)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 86" Progress Reports

Make sure you have the wings on when you run the engine. They absorb and dampen the majority of the vibration.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:39 AM
EMVIN

I did the rudder control horns last night they appear to be good but not perfect. I'm pretty sure they will work well. I may need to adjust end points on the raido. I did not glue the rudder hinges yet as I need to take a little more time on them the rudder is slightly offset with the verticle fin (to the left). Also completed aileron horns and hinges and am very happy with the result. Unfortunatly I am waiting on the elevator hardware package. It was missing from the kit. I spoke with Molly and then the Master himself "Quique Somenzini" and a set has been sent out. He seemed to be very concerned.

As far as the DA 50 stand offs go there is only one set of bolts with it. I believe they are the engine side. Quique said thats how DA sends them. Were did you get yours? What size should I ask for?

Barry I see in your pics a pitts muffler. is that what your using? I purchased the standard muffler and now am not sure if I want to use it. Eyeing it up it appears to stick out further than the cowl. I dont want that. I didn't realize how large the can is .

....EMVIN....
Old 04-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Emvin...

The bolts you need are listed in the manual. It's in the engine installation section. QQ says to get them from Lowes. For the record...they should be 1/4 x 20, 1" long. I go with the bolt type head so I can really put the torque on them. I had an engine come loose in my CAP. That wasn't exactly a pleasant experience. Also for the record...I got my bolts at ACE Hardware. Smaller store, less time.

On my desk is a pitts muffler. It's the one off my AirWild (I'm using that engine because I won't be flying the AirWild for a while do to midair). If you look in the back, right area, you'll also see my "gleaming" new cannister. That's the set up I'm going with. I'm hoping for "quiet power". I think I'll get 200+ more RPM than with the pitts. At least that's the idea.

Plasticman...

Good on ya...glad the engine runs. Did I insall mine wrong or are the needles going to be almost impossible to reach. It looks like they left an opening on the opposite side of the engine area for something...but not the side where the needles actually are. I think the only way possible to adjust the needles on mine is to remove the cowl.

I'm "pinning" the firewall right where the standoffs go. I'm drilling 4 holes around each hole for the standoffs and glueing a dowel in each of the holes. Hopefully this will give more resistance against collasping the firewall when the bolts are tightened. I'll try to post a picture of that tonight. I've read here on RCU somewhere that was a good idea. I'm also going to CA all around my firewall cutout to add back some strength.

I got my "super light" Kaven wheels and titanium axles yesterday. So I'm good to go. The only thing I'm missing is the hinges for the ailerons. If they show up today I'm still looking good for a Saturday maiden.

I'm a lot further along than you'd think by looking at the pictures.

Oh yeah, I looked at my canopy last night. I can't see anything wrong with it. I haven't glued in the pins yet or tried to install it but visually it's fine and I set it on the plane and it matches up good. Also, no overspary of paint. So...maybe I got a lucky one.

Thanks
Barry
Old 04-04-2007, 12:13 PM
plasticman
My Feedback: (97)

Barry,

I like the idea of pinning the firewall. I did that on my 30% Edge and it is very strong. I may do that as well. As for adjusting the needles I would also have to remove the cowl or put a fairly large hole in the side.

On my Engine bolts I used red thread-locker on all of them and did use socket head style. Overall, I think the motor is locked in pretty well.

Mine will be all finished tonight and I will be ready to maiden it this weekend but the weather forecast looks horrible: cold, high winds, etc. I may have to wait until next week before I'll get the first chance.

David
Old 04-04-2007, 12:17 PM
aegis

Thanks P-man. There sold out too. What do you think of this? http://rcatsystems.com/pdf/rc100_datasheet.pdf

EMVIN
At least as of a couple months ago, in its stock configuration, the switch is not designed to operate with RX batteries that are rated higher than 4.8V. I had the switch on a plane with a 6.0V setup and the switch gave out after 6 flights. Thankfully, the switch decided to quit working while the plane was on the ground. Another RCU member contacted RCATS about the voltage issue and was told they, RCATS, can make some sort of modification to the switch to make it operate with higher voltages. When working, the switch is a slick way to go. Some people worry about the mechanical (wired) connection between the ignition module and RX via the switch, but I didn't experience any interference with it.

Dan
Old 04-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Barry Cazier

Plasticman...

Ha! If you have bad weather and I get my hinges...I may get to maiden before you do.

Anyways, I'm very happy with my build so far. Seems tedious to do the engine mount with the firewall cut but there's a lot of room to work. I like that.

Tonight I'll finish the engine mount (CA glue everything) and start to mount the fuel tank and then the raido gear. Also, the switches and ignition system. But that kinda stuff goes pretty quick.

I've got a 4" spinner. That's what I plan to use but...I also have a 3.5" off my AirWild. What size are others using. I think I'll just hold them up and see which one looks the nicest.

Question: On these big round cowl planes, does the spinner make a difference in diverting the airflow over the outside of the cowl? More efficient? If so...which would be better, larger or smaller?

Thansk
Barry
Old 04-04-2007, 01:11 PM
EMVIN

Dan thanks for the heads up. I found the Smart-Fly Optical Cutoff Switch at Air Wild and should have it in a few days.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:17 PM
octanehuffer

I am using a 4" spinner. I want to allow as much air over the cowl as possible. The plane will slow on the down lines any way. A spinner is going to help the prop be more effecient. The air will be diverted over the middle of the blades. Where it is most important for thrust. There is no thrust available in the center of the prop hub. I have heard of up to 5% increase in thrust vs. without a spinner.
Adam
Old 04-04-2007, 02:19 PM
plasticman

I gave a lot of thought to a spinner and no spinner. After looking at countless models: both full scale and RC, I decided to go with a Pete's model P-51 Carbon Fiber. This was not a cheap option as it was around $100.00. Ouch! Nevertheless, this is what I decided looked the best.

David.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:40 PM
aegis

Dan thanks for the heads up. I found the Smart-Fly Optical Cutoff Switch at Air Wild and should have it in a few days.
That's what I switched to when the RCATS switch died. I don't have that many flights, only 35, with the Smart-Fly optical kill switch, but so far so good.

Dan
Old 04-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Barry Cazier

Pictures of my "pinned" firewall.

Thanks
Barry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13097.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	656947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24490.jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	656948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io28834.jpg
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	656949  
Old 04-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Barry Cazier

After you get the holes "plugged" then you sand them down with your dremel and then coat with CA glue which wicks into the joint. Very nice when you are finished. Adds a lot of stength also.

I also coated my whole firewall with thin CA glue to wick into the areas where I made the cuts.

Not I ready to do the final engine installation.

Thanks
Barry
Old 04-04-2007, 04:57 PM
cloud_buster

Does anyone knows the lenght of the fuselage?
I been trying to find it but no luck so far
Thanks
Old 04-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Guillermito

Hello plasticman, excellent work! it wanted to know that it marks is and as the key is called that has the flag of the right side. Also where you bought it.

Thank you very much. Greetings.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:15 PM
EMVIN

The fuse is 62" from the firewall to the fin hinge line . The Rudder is about 8" at its widest point.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:53 PM
plasticman

Mine is all done! I plan on doing some tuning of the motor and that is why the cowl is off. I did the throw setup tonight and followed the manual on that. I think I spent more time getting the throws all equall and balanced more than any other plane.

The pin-and-flag sets are two different switches. The one towards the tail is part of the Smart-Fly regulator and it comes with the regulator. You can purchase these at http://www.troybuiltmodels.com. The closer to the cowl is from Fromeco and is the "Badger" switch. It controls power to the ignition. This available directly from Fromeco at http://www.fromeco.org/

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21565.jpg
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	657137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47674.jpg
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	657138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20283.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	657139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77797.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	657140  
Old 04-04-2007, 08:07 PM
octanehuffer

All done and cant even fly it.[:'(] I love this weather. At least two days ago I had my 1/4 scale T- Craft up. Next morning we got snow. I really hope your weather will be better.(doubt it) I want to hear a flight report soon.
Adam
Old 04-04-2007, 08:34 PM
plasticman

Octanehuffer,

I know what you mean. Yesterday, I was out in my shorts and mowing the lawn. Tonight, I can see snow covering my deck! With Easter this weekend and the forecast not looking so good for the next ten days, my maiden is going to have to wait.

David.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Barry Cazier

Plasticman...

Man that looks so sweet. You might be tempted to fly without the cowl the way your nose looks with the paint. Neat.

Can you favor us with an all up weight?

Questions:
1. Any concerns about using metal rods for the throttle and choke?
2. I've always heard that this may cause radio interference. Yet QQ recommends metal rods. Anything I should be concerned about? If not that's how I'm going to do mine. I think I'll even use a choke servo. Originally I wasn't but it looks like I'd really have to cut the cowl open to get a manual choke lever. So...even though it will cost me 1.5 ozs or so I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and go with a choke servo.

Got my cannister mounted tonight and I'm plugging along.

thanks
Barry
Old 04-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Barry Cazier

Oh...

For some reason my weather is looking pretty good for Saturday. Mid 50s and partly cloudy. I'm not sure about the wind but I'm good for up to 15 mph on a maiden. You just gotta do that in Idaho.

I also got word my hinges will be here tomorrow night. I just might pull it off and get one of the first maiden flights.

Thanks
Barry
Old 04-05-2007, 07:46 AM
plasticman

Barry,

I'll put the plane on the scales tonight and see where I am at. I am going to guess around mid 16's for this plane.

As for metal rods for throttle and choke....that is what I am using. I think as long as you connect these to plastic ends you will be alright. The issue with metal rods appears to be with metal-on-metal connections and the possibility to generate RF with vibration.

David.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:58 PM
EMVIN

Congradulations P-Man!!! Looks great.. I cant wait to hear your flight reports and how well this plane flys. Thinking + ....
As for me I am at least two to three weeks out. With my current scedule (not complaining its what pays for all this) I'm lucky to get two hours in a night. Besides the weather here in New York is S#*T anyway so I'm not in a rush.... GOOD LUCK....EMVIN....
Old 04-05-2007, 07:29 PM
HATH

Hey yall, well I just jumped on the wagon and bought the yak (Barry, we keep running into each other 8) ) my question is to the battery selection, im going with the fremco's, now since I dont know much about the regulator/switch side of things Im hoping i can get a few things cleared up. I know that duralite sells a reg/switch. Is this a good option? if so does the switch come with a charge jack? or is there even such a product? is it better to go with a reg and switch seperate? or is there one regulator that acts as a "dual" regualtor and will regulate the ign and rx with one product. Im going as light as I can but have decided on the fremco 2 cell 2600 mah packs. Thanks for any input.........Barry get your tail down here lets fly!
Old 04-05-2007, 07:29 PM
plasticman

EMVIN - I know what you mean. Weather here in Dayton is unreal....it is winter is all over again.

Tonight, I did final measurements: CG and overall weight. Final weight is 16lbs-1oz, less fuel. I could easily be under 16lbs but 15.5lbs is out-of-the-question for me. Had I not put in dual regulators and batteries it would have been possible. Am I concerned? Not at all.

I did "nail" the CG. Mine came out exactly at 188mm. I am happy about this as I always have problems getting the CG right.

Overall, I am pretty happy with the build, quality, and final result. Looking forward to that first flight but it might be awhile.

David.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Barry Cazier

Plasticman...

16lbs 1ozs! Man, I think that's just great! I see you even have the wheel pants and you said redundant batteries, right? I fly off of grass so I never use wheel pants (save 2.5 ozs or so) and I'm going with only 1 battery set up. I should be 15.8 or 15.7lbs. That will be pretty good for me. I'm trusting the DA to give me 2 more lbs thrust with the cannister set up. Gonna be fun!

CG? Did you just hit it the first time? Or did you have to move the batteries around a bit? I've never balanced a plane from the wing tips. I'm a bit nervous about that. Seems like it would just be as easy to convert that measurement to the wing along the fuse. But I'm thinking the SFG holes are about that area on the wing tip. I was going to make an aluminum bracket that measured 185mm and drill a hole in it. Than I'd bolt it where the SFGs go and hang it from my ceiling. How did you do yours?

Hath...

I guess we're just both attracted to nice airplanes. You know what...give me a few weeks and I will come down and fly with you. Also, I extend an invite for you to come up north and fly. It would be fun.

Tonight...

Have hinges, will glue.

Thanks
Barry

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.