86" Progress Reports

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 09:49 AM
plasticman
My Feedback: (97)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 86" Progress Reports

Barry,

How was your CG and did you think it was the correct location?

David
Old 04-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

plasticman...

My CG was almost perfect (just ever so slightly tail heavy) When inverted, hands off, I got no decent. Funny though...that's with the "dead battery, 5ozs, straped right to the engine box. I'm not sure why my was so tail heavy, but it was. Now I gotta move stuff around a bit and see if I can remove the deadweight.

That CG is even with a choke servo.

thanks

Barry
PS, just got back from flying 4 more flights. I love this plane. I actually got a flat spin to stop in mid air and "hover" there for 5 or 6 seconds. That's way cool. With a prop change and a little stick time I think I can do the illusive "rising flat spin" with this plane.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:36 AM
EMVIN

Barry, congradulations!!! Sounds like your having a ball. Cant wait to get out there with mine. Much of the characteristics sound very similar to my QQ73" . As far as the inverted flat spins, hovering, knife edge and inverted flight. Your describing my 73". Thats good news for me as at this point my 73" is my best flying plane and am most comfortable with it. I hope to go to the next level with this one. Thanks for the report.

....EMVIN....
Old 04-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Barry Cazier

Plasticman...

My CG is at 185mm from trailing edge. I marked it in the fuse and balanced it there the first time. When it was tail heavy I got a friend to help me and we balance it from the wing tips. No difference. The CG really seems perfect to my. I'm just a little miffed that it esenually has 9 ozs of weight in the nose to make it balance. I have my receiver battery and ignition batter up there along with the "dead weight" battery. And a choke servo. I'm not really sure what I can do to move other stuff forward. I'm gonna look down the tail and see if I left a prop in there or extra servo or something. Kinda wierd. Everyone says theirs balances right on. Mine sure didn't .

Sure flys good though...so it's hard to complain.

THanks
Barry
Old 04-15-2007, 01:20 PM
SJS
My Feedback: (16)

I found mine was tail heavy beofore intalling the reciever batteries. I also went light on the ign battery (5c1400 nimh). I still go old school w/ the batt's. I'm using 2 5c 1950 nimh for the rx. I had to mount them just foward of the wing tube to balance the plane at 188mm. BTW, is anyone using ferrite rings on their planes?
Old 04-15-2007, 08:35 PM
plasticman

Barry,

Mine is just a little tail heavy. I am right at the edge of perfect CG location. I did put my ignition battery and ignition module all the way forward on the engine box. I placed the reciever batteries on top of the fuel tank. I will fly it that way this week if the weather cooperates. This weekend was really lousy for flying: cold and rainy.

Mine is all ready.

David

P.S. Sounds like yours flies great the way it is. Perhaps a mouse or something climbed in the fuse and has made a home near the stab. I was always worried if I drank a beer while biulding I would leave a bottle in the plane....that's just me.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:48 PM
Barry Cazier

I'm still waiting to hear some of you other guy's maiden flights. Nobody flying yet?

Thanks
Barry
Old 04-17-2007, 07:20 PM
EMVIN

Not yet Barry, I'm about two weeks out. I'm just setting up the throttle and choke servos. I'm lucky to get one or two hours in every other day. Plus I'm going through a learning curve as this is my first Gas model and I'm also using the Spektrum raido for the first time. No rush around here anyway the weather is still terrible so I dont feel that bad.... EMVIN....
Old 04-17-2007, 09:15 PM
SJS

I just finished mine and ran the engine today. Hopefully, if the weather cooperates this weekend, I can wring it out (literally, after the rainstorm.) Looking at the screws for the canopy, does anyone know if vibration will back out the screws holding the canopy in place. Any suggestions other than using loctite?

SJS
Old 04-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Barry Cazier

Be sure and put the O ring on the bolt and then just install it. I have 9 flights on mine and they stay tight...at least so far.

Thanks
Barry
Old 04-18-2007, 08:25 AM
EMVIN

SJS, my QQ 73" has the same system for the canopy I have had no problems 100+ flights..

Are you flying at Floyd Bennett?

....EMVIN....
Old 04-18-2007, 10:48 AM
SJS

Yes I am. I wondered what the small o-rings were for. Do you use a flat washer between the o-ring and the fuse, or does the o-ring sit against the fuse?

SJS
Old 04-18-2007, 11:21 AM
plasticman

Maidened mine last night! Nothing short of spectacular can describe the plane. Very windy conditions but had no difficulty taking off or landing. Never really got to try much as I need to do some more tuning to my DA-50. Next couple of days are supposed to be decent weather so more to follow....and pictures.

David.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Barry Cazier

plasticman...

Congratulations!!!!! Glad to hear someone else got this bird in the air. I was beginning to feel like a lone duck.

Let us know more as you can.

Thanks
Barry
Old 04-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Rezagh
My Feedback: (73)

Great news guys. Look forward to others report as well. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Reza
Old 04-18-2007, 02:02 PM
EMVIN

SJS, flat washer o-ring flat washer.

P-MAN- Congrads!! Glad to hear about another successful maiden..
Old 04-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Barry Cazier

ORIGINAL: Rezagh

Great news guys. Look forward to others report as well. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Reza
This truly is a great flying airplane. I just love it. The 50cc planes are a good size for me. I can still haul them yet they present themselves well in the air. I've got 9 flights on mine, just getting it trimmed good. It just flys great.

Good engineering on this plane.

What prop do you guys use on the DA 50? My NX 22x8 seems to not allow enough RPM. My friend Steve is getting 25lbs thrust with a 3W prop (22x8) at 7150 RPM. I can only pull 6850 RPM and I'm only getting 22.5lbs. I can't find a 3W but wondering what might be better than the NX.

thanks
Barry
Old 04-18-2007, 05:20 PM
plasticman

Barry,

I swapped out my Vess 22A in favor of a PT Models Carbon Fiber 22x8. I tached 7200 RPM yesterday and thats with no tuning of needles. This provided fantastic verical. My brother maidened his TOC Yak (same day) and it weighed one pound more at a little over 17-lbs. He was using the Vess (22A) on a DA-50 with a Pitts muffler. He tached 6990 RPM. His plane looked like it had great vertical and pull as well.

David.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:26 PM
plasticman

Pictures of maiden day.

P-man
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15823.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	667417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16825.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	667418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55384.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	667419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76837.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	667420  
Old 04-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Barry Cazier

Great looking pictures!!!! Glad to see 'em.

I'm gonna change to a different prop for sure...I was trying to get the 3W because my buddy, same elevation, same day, got considerably more thrust than I did. I said he could only get 6800 with his BME prop and changed to the 3W (no other changes) and it went up to 7150 and more thrust. So...that was what I was looking for. I'm pretty well tuned right now. I wouldn't want to go much leaner. I'm hoping a prop change may help. Right now I got a XOAR coming. But I want to try some others as well. The carbon fiber sounds interesting for sure.

Your field looks about the same as mine for roughness. Did your tailwheel hop a bit?

thanks
Barry
Old 04-18-2007, 06:50 PM
EMVIN

Barry or P-Man . Did either one of you try the side force generators? ....EMVIN....
Old 04-18-2007, 07:36 PM
plasticman

Barry,

As for the tail hop, it sure did. Mine bounced all around but each time I would blast it down with some throttle and high-rate elevator. XOAR's are nice props and I will be interested in your findings. I have tried NX, Vess, and now PT. I don't have any conclusions or recommendations yet.

EMVIN,

I have not tried the SFG's yet. Oversight on my part for the first flight out....just too many things to think about that day. I'll give them a try tomorrow or Friday and let you know.

David.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Barry Cazier

I haven't flown with the SFGs either. The plane flys good enough without them but I'll try them next time out.

Thanks
Barry
Old 04-18-2007, 10:15 PM
octanehuffer

Does anyone have any objections regarding the use of an HS-81MG for the throttle. Its a micro, has 41 oz.in of torque and is .09 sec/60 deg. @6v. I detuned the throttle spring on the carb so there isnt much resistance.
Also, is there any sense to routing the fuel tank vent line up, down and around the fuse? I want to try to keep fuel from spewing out thru the vent while ripping the sky a new one.
Adam
Old 04-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Barry Cazier

octanehuffer...

I think the micro servo would do the job...but I think you'll need the nose weight anyways. You better change to a standard size servo just for the weight and convenience.

I route the fuel vent tube around the tank once and then high in the fuselage so it's above the tank and then out to atomsphere. That way it vents at all angles and assures a possitive vent at all times and assures a constant fuel flow. It will not leak into the sky.

thanks
barry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.