Notices

My new YS110 is not happy, breakin, setup?

Old 01-17-2009, 11:37 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new YS110 is not happy, breakin, setup?

Had a tough day at the field. My new YS110 is a beast but not a nice one! No problem starting but it kept throwing the prop or backfiring while running and at any speed. I started with a balanced Xoar 16x6 and 30% syth oil heli fuel, YS plug, Hyde soft mount. YS recommended needle settings except from the regulator I didn't touch that.. Awesome power, turned the 16x6 at about 9700 on the ground. I ended up with the main needle at 1 1/4 plus a click and the idle needle at 2 turns out. Any leaner and rpms drop off any richer and it just seemed very rich. Engine ran cool. Lots of preassure in tank. Tons of fuel residue on plane, oil dripping from muffler, fuel dripping from carb. But it doesn't want to idle it slowly dies, transition is good top end great, but it runs very rough at all speeds. But it kept backfiring and stopping with great force and seemed to like throwing its prop too, it did that twice. Basically kind of scary. Yeah its a YS tight as a mother and huge power. But something ain't right. Love to hear what settings you guys have or a link to a setup guide. I put an APC 16x6 on for the next round, the Xoar is toast after smashing it trying to tighten the prop nuts enough and the beating it took flying around on its own.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:55 AM
dmccormick001

Default RE: My new YS110 is not happy, breakin, setup?

In my experience, about 99.9% of the time when an engine backfires, it's because it's running lean. I've never seen an engine that was rich backfire. So, I'd recommend that you start by ricening everything, including the regulator, and see if the problem goes away, or at least gets better. After that, take your time making very small adjustments to the settings until you get it running right.

David
Old 01-18-2009, 12:24 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

If you play with the needles and regulator keep in mind, on a YS. The low speed needle is opposite of most RC glow engines. CCW is leaner and CW is richer. If you adjust the regulator do very small turns and remember where you started.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Rocketman_

husafreak,

I have a YS 110S that had a similar problem when it was brand new. It would hammer violently and loudly and then stop suddenly and slip the prop.

No amount of adjusting the low or high-speed needle valves or the regulator had any corrective effect on this condition. There was some kind of intermittent blockage in the fuel system that may have come with the engine from the factory.

If you go to the YS Engines Support thread at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7866253/tm.htm you can read the suggestions that were offered and the actions that I took solve the problem.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:37 PM
husafreak

I got my YS tuned yesterday on the stand with all y'all's input. It ran perfect for three flights and then a deadstick on the fourth. Checked the idle and now it slowly dies instead of holding rpm. So I didn't want to mess with it again due to needing to remove the cowl and time constraints so I tried another flight just avoiding long periods of idle but it deadsticked again so I will pull the cowl and readjust. Looks like this engine is not too forgiving, you got to set it right and also it will change as it breaks in. You can just bump up the idle trim and expect it to keep running if the regulator is passing too much fuel. But I know it can be done, it was starting first flip and idling perfectly for several flights, plus the power is sick for an engine that size. looks pretty fuel efficient too! I had half a tank left after a 8 min flight with just pattern flying, should be able to get 12 min out of the stock tank with a little reserve.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:31 PM
onewasp

A VERY familiar story with the YS110 (S).

I'd like to say that all will end well but that proves not to be the case.

IMO it takes a VERY strong stomach to put up with a YS.
When they run_____it is a ton of power! When they don't it is a ton of trouble!

Now, I'm into electric ______Oh HAPPY DAY !!
I'll NEVER go back !
Old 01-19-2009, 10:34 PM
dmccormick001

Well, I've owned just about every brand of engine you could name, from Enya's to OS's, and everything in between, and from time to time I've had problems with just about every one of them. And in about 99.9% of the cases, the problems were things like junk in the fuel, or a bad glow plug, or a cowling that didn't allow for enough cooling, or a too-lean setting that caused damage to the engine, etc. The problems have almost never been the fault of the motor. And the same is true for my YS engines.

But most of the people who use YS engines don't buy them for their ease of use, or because they're a bargain, but because they provide certain things other engines simply don't offer. The pressurized fuel system allows the tank to be located much farther back in the fuse, closer to, or in some cases directly over, the CG, which allows you to trim the plane to fly the way you like it from a full tank to an empty tank with no appreciable change. In addition, they provide the greatest weight to power ratio of almost any other brand of glow engine, and that also allows for a lighter, better flying plane. And once you get them running correctly, if you'll pay attention to a few basic things, like keeping your fuel clean, they run like a watch time after time.

What a YS engine requires is patience, attention to detail, and a careful initial setup. Once you get it close, fine tune it with very small adjustments, and you'll have a motor that will out perform just about anything else out there. Don't be afraid of it. And it will do one thing the electrics just can't do...

IT WILL SOUND LIKE AN AIRPLANE WHEN IT GOES BY!!!!

Just kidding!!! I've got a couple of electrics myself. I fly 'em when I'm outta glow fuel!

David
Old 01-20-2009, 12:45 PM
onewasp

What you say is basically correct.
I spent a fair amount of time in full scale race cars so I have had it "up to here" with fussy, touchy engines.

BTW, while the pressure (or pump) system on YS's does allow for a variety of fuel tank positions it is no more effective in that regard than is a Saito with a Cline reguator.

I used that system in a variety of Pattern planes and engine displacements and it is very much the YS's equal in terms of function.

There is no argument as to power output ____ the YS is supreme in its displacement class.

However, the myriad posters who claim that a YS110 (S) puts out the same power as a Saito 150 are more than simply mistaken !!!!!! ___no contest______at all.
The 150 will blow it off.
I happen to own both and it is not very close _____ as the displacement differential would indicate.

The only replacement for cubic inches is MORE cubic inches ____author, Stroker McGurk.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:17 AM
husafreak

Got a couple of flights in, noticed engine not running consistantly and smoke trail would disappear and reappear, detonation in flight. Landed and bench run, engine would start and idle but then die when throttle pushed up. Realized tank no longer preassurizing, engine now has 6 tanks so sent back to YS parts and service. RV thinks a sleeve in the crankcase may have moved blocking preassure delivery. I'll let you know when I get it back.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:14 AM
bzyguy01

I just broke in my new 110S on my Sundowner 50 and it was a bear! Nasty tight at first and was a real handfull to tune from the box. Backfiring and spitting alot was alot of fun!!!! I ended up mounting it on the plane from the box....I never touched the regulater setting from stock....I leaned out my low by turning counter clockwise to lean which is opposite from a normal needle carb as it is an air bleed rather. I actually got it running really well within the first 3 tanks on the break in table at our local field. I kept the high end a little rich and ran 4 tanks through it in flight fluctuating my throttle position alot and never hammering wot for more than 3 or 5 seconds at a time.....By the end of the first day....It went frome a wild lion to a tame kitty cat! I had the help from a few very experienced friends at the club and it was actually good to see it tame with mild break in. I am VERY pleased with my new YS110S!
I enjoy electrics alot and have alot of them but Love Engines over motors! Engines Take alot of patience and more knowledge with being able to listen and read what the settings need where electrics are more like plug and play. ( within proper amp and voltage loads) I guess I just enjoy getting dirty! By the way....The Sundowner was originally setup with Electric!!! I burned up 2 motors by overheating them and throwing magnets as It just wasn't fast enough....WWWAAAYYY better with NITRO IMHO! Fussy and touchy engines can most definitally wear on the patience quickly tho!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46965.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1126315  
Old 02-23-2009, 03:43 AM
husafreak

Got my engine back and flew a lot today. YS parts and service replaced the crankcase. The engine is running fine now but the needle valve is turning in flight so I need to figure out how to stop that but at least it is running well!