Notices

QQ New 73 In.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Michaelvg11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QQ New 73 In.

I'm a little confused on which parts to use to bolt on the cowl. The older model had heavy blocks, the new one just has 4 longer pieces from the fuse. The top one even feels like balsa. Which parts do I use? It would appear as if screws would NOT hold very long.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old 02-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Michaelvg11

Default RE: QQ New 73 In.

Can anyone out there make a suggestions? What hardware do I use?
Any pictures?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:22 AM
randy racer
My Feedback: (3)

it doesn't look like your getting much support on this support thread. it has been a long time since i built my 73"QQ but i used HD servo arms not included in the kit but everything else worked great. it is a very good flying plane and i hope get it together and enjoy it soon.

rr
Old 02-17-2009, 07:44 AM
dmccormick001

What does the manual tell you to do? If you're concerned about screw not holding in the wood, you can either:

A. Harden the wood with CA before and after you drill your pilot holes for the screws, or
B. Use a T-nut (blind nut) with a small machine screw, like a 4-40 maybe, behind the blocks.

If you use screws, one trick I discovered a while back is to use bonding washers under the cowling screws. They are small, slightly dome-shaped steel washers with a rubber washer bonded to one side. If you place the rubber side against the cowling, vibration from the engine won't cause the screws to enlarge the holes in the cowling and cause it to get loose. Keeps things nice and tight and neat.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:41 PM
tailspins
My Feedback: (7)

I was thinking about what I did and looked to make sure. I used the pieces ( not blocks ) drilled them and installed 4-40 bolts through "T-NUTS". Then hardened the wood with thin CA. I also added epoxy to the back side of the mounts where they came out of the plane. Worked for me all last summer and fall with nothing giving way or backing out. I still check all screws and bolts after a few flights just to be sure and all was tight!

Happy flying