Community
Search
Notices
R/C Sky Diving Discuss all aspects of r/c sky diving and divers here!

R/C Skydiving 2015

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 04:26 PM
cmsrp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryV
I haven't made any chutes lately, but all of the Mike (Germany) chutes are sewn at the rear, and also the R/C Skydive SA chute I bought a few years ago.
Thanks Gary
I'm wondering now whether to stitch the trailing edge of my current (but Old) canopy and see what difference it makes.
I think stitching the trailing edge will help with inflation, and I'm pretty keen to see what the difference is when the canopy is flying...
Old 09-21-2015, 01:16 PM
fly103-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by cmsrp
I'm currently building a new jumper and canopy, and wondered if you guy's are still leaving the trailing edge of the canopies un-stitched.
I have seen in the pics of some of the latest canopies that the trailing edge seems to be stitched now? It used to be a stability thing; whats the general consensus on this???
Chute will not build up enough pressure if you don't sew the rear of your chambers closed... Good pressure = Good shape = Good glide ratio
Old 09-21-2015, 02:08 PM
cmsrp

Originally Posted by fly103-RCU
Chute will not build up enough pressure if you don't sew the rear of your chambers closed... Good pressure = Good shape = Good glide ratio
Thanks Ken
My old canopy (without the trailing edge closed) has worked fantastically. It has good glide ratio, stability, maneuverability (once I sorted out the throw rate from the jumpers arms) and shape/pressure. Deployment/inflation could be a little hit and miss sometimes though, so I think this will be the main advantage in my case.
I'll definitely close the trailing edge on the new canopy, but still not sure whether to close it on the old chute; its that old saying - If it aint broke, don't fix it!!!
Old 09-21-2015, 06:31 PM
GaryV
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a test since you know how the old chute flies you could sew it on the trailing edge to see how it changes if any.
you can easily unstitch it if it is adversly affected by the change.

By the way Ken I don't recall seeing you in Muncie, there were a couple of guys there from KY looking for you.
I believe this was year 16, are you ever going to make it.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:43 PM
cmsrp

Originally Posted by GaryV
As a test since you know how the old chute flies you could sew it on the trailing edge to see how it changes if any.
you can easily unstitch it if it is adversly affected by the change.
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I'd like to try it with the old chute.
I think I'll wait until I finish the new Jumper though(he's 99% done), because he has fully articulated arms. I'll then get a better idea of any maneuverability changes...
Old 12-31-2015, 04:10 AM
JuanF

Happy New Year to all you RC Skydivers out there. All the best in the coming New Year.
Juan