RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   R/C Sky Diving (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/r-c-sky-diving-474/)
-   -   RC SKDIVING FORUM (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/r-c-sky-diving-474/5519157-rc-skdiving-forum.html)

vupilot 03-07-2007 11:34 PM

RE: RC SKDIVING FORUM

Yes, I want an R/C Skydive forum also. See you all at Muncie

RC MANIAC119 03-07-2007 11:34 PM

SKYDIVER...JUAN...AND EDGE.......

Thanks for all the good info.........I have been an avid RC'er for 30 years, and always looking for new and exciting RC stuff to get my fingers around, and these little guys look like they might be a lot of fun!!!

Keep the thread alive, and the info coming...........

MANIAC--OUT!!:D

Theo Vaesen 03-08-2007 03:53 AM

Hi Guy's,

Sounds good ..... a forum only for RC skydiving.

Let us keep the forum RC Skdiving alive and not only the first days.

Look also to the Netherlands RC Skydiving site www.rc-parachute.nl

Greetings,

Theo

broodwa 03-08-2007 08:15 AM

ORIGINAL: JuanF

Broodwa,
I just bought the February issue of RC Model World and on page 32 there is a picture of a RC Parachutist. It is from the Oudtshoorn Scale Meet. Is that of picture of your jumper? Were there other RC Skydivers there? Keep up the good work.
Juan
Yes that was me[8D], we were lucky enough to have Tony from Traplet here as a VIP. Tony did a great write up of the event and our town with all its tourist attractions. Oudtshoorn Scale is the biggest event of its kind in South Africa, where scale planes from all over our country get together for 4 days of flying and fun. I'm lucky it is my home town and that we are the host club of this event.

I didn't expect to get into the magazine at all but have been bombarded with questions ever since it appeared. We did a double drop (two divers at once) mine had the flag, the other diver opened lower than I did so he did not make it onto the photo. The other chute is my own design and works very well but I'm still tweaking it before I start production.[:o]

Thanks for the comments, you guys are welcome at our event, we'll just need a big drop plane. The exchange rate is all in your favour: 1 Euro = 9.80ZAR (South African Rand) and 1$ = 7.80ZAR (South African Rand) :D

pieter 03-08-2007 02:36 PM

yeah a forum....

we have 1 too for all the dutch and belgium rc skydivers..

theo allready told you guys my site...
www.rc-parachute.nl

could use some pictures from overseas....

regards Pieter

Mike.D 03-08-2007 03:59 PM

Nice to have a Skydiver forum over here !
Thank you , very interesting !

Mike

onecuwldood 03-08-2007 05:41 PM

Hello ALL!

My name is David and I'm the current President of SMAC (Somerset Model Airplane Club) in Somerset KY. Our club has several R/C Skydivers and we would love to see a forum for it as well!

Also one more place you can get your R/C Skydiving kit fix http://www.rcskydiveusa.com/ These guys are right here in Somerset KY

And if you've not heard yet... SMAC is hosting our FIRST Annual Parachute Drop Meet / Skydive Rally on June 16 & 17, 2007 See http://www.smac-ky.com/ for more info. You'll even get a t-shirt with your pre-registration. You need to register before May 1, 2007 (that gives us time to get the t-shirts made!) Registration form is on the web site.

skydiver 03-08-2007 08:58 PM

Hi Pieter,

How do we post fotos on your web site?

Best regards
Paul

R/C Skydiver 03-09-2007 10:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You're right RC maniac119, it's time to get down to the nitty gritty!
Attached are some photos that may help--
Photo 1- My Giant Stinger with one Parramax "Mike" mounted under the fuselage and 2 Robbie Charlys mounted on the wing. It was rigged initially to drop 4 jumpers but changed to 3 as the drag caused it to fly like??? Each jumper is released individually on command using a 9c Futaba Radio. Plenty of power!!!
2- My new Lift Meister from Cedar Hobbies---now a Jump Meister powered by a 35cc Evolution gasser! It has 2 "Mikes" mounted on drop boxes outboard of the fuselage by Carbon Fiber Rods (Skydivers idea) and one "Charly" under the fuselage. All are dropped on command with my new Spectrum radio. Each box has it's own Hitec 645mmg High Torque servos. Many guys use a setup similar to this with a number of variations on the drop box.
3- A closeup of my drop box. The jumper is held on by a velcro strap with a d ring on one end to hook over a 4-40 rod running from the servo inside the fuselage. The center box has the servo on the box like many other guys. I have tried rubber bands, a large cord and other things but have found the velcro works better than any other method.
4- The end result! I play "She Is A Grand Old Flag" on the pa system when the flag is released
(on my command). It's a great crowd please----especially when you fly the jumper to you and catch it---sometimes! It worked great at the noon demo at Top Gun in '03-'04 & '05.
Hope all this stuff helps someone enjoy the hobby-sport and have a great time Rc Skydiving!!!

spinbotz 03-09-2007 08:28 PM

Hey folks, attaching the servo linkages at last to my little diver's arms, and fixing his break away paws. "Magnum's has had countless face plants into the ground with both rigs that I got from Dave Naylor and GoldenKnight. I am not sure what it is I'm doing wrong, but when the chutes are both fully open and inflated, they work just fine, gliding the diver to the ground as gently as one can manage.
I hope to post both here and at RCgroups.com pictures of the diver and his rigs and motorized paramotor pack.

ggcrandall1 03-10-2007 05:34 AM

Just checking in. I have been following the Skydive thread on RCGroups. Nice to find this forum. I am jumping a Micro Skydiver that I've named Barney. The jump plane is an Electro Telemaster. Highest exit so far is about 800 ft (recording altimeter in the plane). Barney was lost on a jump last summer and spent about two months up in a tree. He was found by a 10 year old and returned to me. Only damage was a broken leg and a bit of fading on the canopy. The leg is repaired and he has now had several more successful jumps.

Glen

bruhow8 03-10-2007 10:30 PM

You got my vote a forum for rc sky diving is a great idea. I have had a diver for a couple of years am adding a second one and building a lift miester with tandem drop boxes at this moment. I hope to make it to muncie this year. A place to share info is always a good thing.
Dave

lundy 03-13-2007 03:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We finally had the first Sky dives (and dirt dive ) of the year . The weather was great , the wind was ok ,
only my fingers where rusty so the results where [&:] !!,
4 jumps , 1 in , 2 out and a dirt dive ! ,Ok next time more luck hopefully :)

Thanks to the people of the Bergeijkse Model flying club for organizing the event , and for the hospitality .
Looking forward for the next time.

Have to go now to the Hobby store ! ,spare parts for the repair job :D

,Jules

RC MANIAC119 03-13-2007 05:24 AM

Lundy.........very cool pictures!! I see what appears to be a scorekeeper in one of the photo's..so forgive the new guy question here, but are you guys jumping for points??

If that's so...could you please enlighten me as to procedure's, point structure,rules and regulations.

JuanF 03-13-2007 10:19 AM

Here's a couple of really cool websites for playing around with canopy colors. You can get a good idea for some neat color schemes. The first URL takes you directly to the canopy coloring webpage. The second one you have to follow the arrows. The Para-Gear webpage has better color rendition. On the Para-Gear website when you get to "Select a manufactuer and Canopy" hit on "Flight Concepts" and then on "7-Cell". Have fun!!

http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p1274.asp

http://www.paragear.com/canopy_app/APP.ASP

lundy 03-13-2007 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi RC MANIAC 119,

First of all , the pictures are not taken by me , I forgot to charge the battery of my camera ( "Dumbo" )
The photos are from a member of the hosting club ( Modelvliegclub Bergeijk ) don't know his name .

Yep this time it was for score ,
A brief explanation of the so called "RULES"

1/ Have FUN .
2/ Visible free fall . ok 0 points not ok 20 points
3/ 360° left turn . ok 0 points not ok 100 points
4/ 360° right turn .ok 0 points not ok 100 points
5/ Landing approach .
a:Landing in the direction of the wind . ok 0 points not ok 200 points
b:Fly the jumper in , no suicide landing . ok 0 points not ok 250 points
6/ Landing score is depending on where you have the first touchdown
a:On the flying site ( most of the time in the flight briefing you are told what is counted as flying site ) 1000 points
b:in a square surrounding the final circle 700 points
c:In the circle ( 500 cm ) measuring from the center of the circle , the more distance the more points .

Over here in Europe you have to tray to keep the score low, in the USA it is the opposite of it ,
and most important difference is the circle ! in the EU they count every cm
in the USA the circle is divided in 3 or 4 zones

,Jules

spinbotz 03-13-2007 07:07 PM

What does the target landing zone look like and how should the landing target zone be set? can you use weighted down ribbon creating a generally large circle of sorts for the skydiver to descend to? *would look something like a bulls eye with cross hairs and stakes with listed meters away from the center circle *roughly 2 or 3 ft in diameter, no larger.*

lundy 03-14-2007 02:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi spinbotz ,

I think you are very close ,how it looks .
Maybe one of your felow country man can explane it more in detail than I can .

,Jules

JuanF 03-14-2007 09:05 AM

Hi Spinbotz,

These are the general rules for RC Skydiving here in the USA. The rules are quite different in Europe.

1) The diver must exhibit some amount of free fall (5 points).

2) The diver must make a 360 degree turn to the left and to the right
(10 points) to demonstrate full control of the diver.

3) after the above conditions have been met, the diver can try for a
target landing. The target is painted on the ground with the center a 2' bulls eye.
Four more circles were drawn around the center each with a 2' greater
radius. The center counts 100 points, next circle 80, next 60, next 40,
next 20, and 10 points for anywhere on the grass field as designated by
the CD.

At this URL there is a picture of Wil Jones after he hit the center of the target area. It also shows the way the circles are laid out. You have to go down the page a little bit. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1326487/tm.htm

Juan

John Sedovic 03-14-2007 12:14 PM

ORIGINAL: JuanF

Hi Spinbotz,

These are the general rules for RC Skydiving here in the USA. The rules are quite different in Europe.

1) The diver must exhibit some amount of free fall (5 points).

2) The diver must make a 360 degree turn to the left and to the right
(10 points) to demonstrate full control of the diver.

3) after the above conditions have been met, the diver can try for a
target landing. The target is painted on the ground with the center a 2' bulls eye.
Four more circles were drawn around the center each with a 2' greater
radius. The center counts 100 points, next circle 80, next 60, next 40,
next 20, and 10 points for anywhere on the grass field as designated by
the CD.

At this URL there is a picture of Wil Jones after he hit the center of the target area. It also shows the way the circles are laid out. You have to go down the page a little bit. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1326487/tm.htm

Juan

:D The Three Amigos Are On The Line and Are Taking All Calls. Come on Guy's Let Do some Jumping. :D

:D John :D

spinbotz 03-14-2007 10:35 PM

Thanks! I'm hoping to set up a simpler version of the standard target landing zone layout. *simplistic 20 ft wide circle of stakes with ribbons tied to the stakes to outline a bulls eye along with a 2 ft landing target for either highest or lowest points. *depending on which scoring system is used.* I'll probably end up no where near the twenty ft target itself, but I can try..

rjgaddman 03-17-2007 06:31 PM

Just getting a jumper going with the help of Juan F and a chute from goldenknight1. Think this is going to be great fun. Keep the posts coming.

GeeW 03-18-2007 01:26 PM

Hi guys
I'd also like to vote for a Skydiving forum. I have two jumpers, the smaller of which (Junior)jumps from a Pheonix Rainbow EP, the larger from a friends T240 http://www.sebrfc.org.uk/gallery/pub...ery_m.php?i=15

I'm still looking for other UK Skydivers...

Have fun
Regards
Gordon

GeeW 03-18-2007 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry ..... I just couldn't resist!

Big Dude lines up on the spot.

JuanF 03-20-2007 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
GeeW,
Great picture of your Big Dude. Here is my RC Skydiver called Little Juan. I cut out all of the wood and bent all the wire parts myself. His gloves and boots are from Santa Claus doll parts and the head is from the old DGA Pilots. Unfortunately DGA is no longer in business. The parachute is a Paravision design that is made by Bob Deadmond. This parachute really works great for me.