RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   R/C Sky Diving (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/r-c-sky-diving-474/)
-   -   30" x 60" Flag drop (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/r-c-sky-diving-474/7567338-30%22-x-60%22-flag-drop.html)

R/C Skydiver 06-01-2008 03:31 PM

30" x 60" Flag drop

HI ya'll

Thought a report on my experience dropping a larger flag may be interesting and of some use to a few R/C Skydivers.

Had to enlarge the chute pack on each side by almost 2" to get the pack closed with the folded flag inside. I used a 3 oz lead hanging below the jumper which was a little too much. It caused the flag to be pulled out the side of the flag pack by the chute's opening shock but fortunately, it didn't become tangled. Think I will cut that down to about 1 1/2 ozs next time and modify the flag pack to hold the lead in better. Dropped from about 800 ft in a 8-12 mph wind. I had no forward motion when I pulled the arms down slightly but it sure looked good just hanging in the air. Wind picked up a little and the jumper started to slowly back up! It was a good learning experience that should make the next jump even better when I make some modifications to the pack.

It is definately not a high wind flag unless you can judge the drop point correctly to fly it BACKWARD to the circle-with a lot of luck, you might make a point or two but no room for error! It would look great at a fly in Demo!

I would welcome some suggestions and comments from other guys who have tried a large flag.

Jim

goldenknight1 06-02-2008 11:04 PM

RE: 30" x 60" Flag drop

Jim
Thank you for sending me the cd so quick , you have saved me a lot of work and it is a lot simpler than the way I WAS going to do mine

lundy 08-05-2008 03:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Jim ,

I have made some jumps recently with a larger flag , and it went very well .
The flag is 47,2 " x 43,3" .
I have added 7 oz of lead below the flag , the lead was folded flat the same size as the folded flag.
The total weight of the skydiver is 53oz + 7oz of lead for the flag is 60 oz.
The big Parafoil 96 max weight it can take is 67oz -70oz total .
This skydiver can pull down the front of the chute altering the angel of attack to get more forward motion .
When there is more than 15 mph wind the combination is starting flying backwards to , even pulling down the front of the chute .

,Jules

goldenknight1 08-05-2008 09:58 AM

Jim:

I have found that with the 30x40 flag you sent me works very well, on my flap for flag I used a little stiffer material and when I pack up flag I put the weigh under the flag and the line I gather it up and put it in the second fold on flag ,have four drops in flag on first jump also came out early changed flap for flag and I am still packing the same way and have had no more of the flag coming out early

bob

R/C Skydiver 08-05-2008 06:35 PM

Bob.
Don't know where I got the 30x60 from. The flag is actually 28x48. I added some lead and now will try a jump with 2 1/2 ozs next week. I think that will work out well for me. By the way, the local company that sold the flags went out of business and I picked up their last 5 flags. I will bring them to Muncie with me if anyone else wants one.
Jim

goldenknight1 08-05-2008 10:15 PM

Jim:
I am folding flag like you show on your CD My folds on the flag with is 3 inches by 4 inches and It is really easy to stow . and I stow my weight up under the bottom fold and of flag but the lines I have found on mine if they are stowed in the third fold and the bottom line and weight under the very bottom fold it really come out clean and unfolds real goog and clean.

Bob