RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   R/C Sky Diving (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/r-c-sky-diving-474/)
-   -   What drop plane do you use? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/r-c-sky-diving-474/8860212-what-drop-plane-do-you-use.html)

Banzai55 06-17-2009 05:44 PM

What drop plane do you use?

1 Attachment(s)
What drop plane / engine combo do you use? Please post details and pix! What type of radio equipment and instrumentation do you use? Let's share! We use the 8 foot senior telemaster and a camera plane from Abellrc - both powered by 26cc engines.

R/C Skyjumper 06-17-2009 07:13 PM

RE: What drop plane do you use?

No photo yet as still working on this one a Sig Kadet Senior with a Magnum 70 on it and raise the gear a little higher and stronger , Currant plane is a Superstar 40 with a 51 Supre Tiger and raised gear and it takes one up the Kadet will be configerd for I, 2 or 3 at a time - will post photo when more along on it
Don

R/C Skydiver 06-17-2009 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Right now I am using a Giant Lanier Stinger (ARF). I started off using 2 SR Telemasters. One with a Sato 150 and the other with a Sato 180. They worked great for a long time but the number of flights took its toll on them. I had a second Stinger 'till a few weeks ago-lost it with low battery on a spectrum system. Down to the one Stinger now and will probably not get more except I am going to build another Mud Duck to use to drop an R/C Skydiving Duck!
The present stinger has a Bryson 4.2 and is rigged to take 3 Mike Skydivers. The deceased Stinger had an Area 51 (Chinese) engine that had as much power as the Bryson. It's being repaired for less than $100.
In my opinion, the best rig would be the Stinger if you plan to drop 3 or 4 jumpers, otherwise I would use Sr Telemasters for 1 or 2 Jumpers. There are many other great jumping planes. Hope others will add to this list.
Before and after photos of the second Stinger!!!

ennyka 06-18-2009 05:15 AM

I use the stick series and add taller landing gear and bigger wheels. For my ultimate 3lb diver I use the Hangar9 Ultra stick with a worn out well broken in O.S .91 two stroke, I have the exhaust piped to the back so the diver and the plane stay clean. For dropping two micro divers I use the E-flite Ultra Stick 25e with 4 inch tall wheels to get extra ground clearance. The 25e is powered with the Power 32 motor and a 4cell lipo. Ido pick up a free ride in the giant stinger sometimestoo ithas a G62 and doesn't feel the diver underneath.

For radio gear I am JR or Spektrum all the way. Each drop plane has two recievers ( one AR7000 and one AR6100), one to fly the plane and another that is binded to the divers radio so the diver can let himself out. The divers have each there own reciever an AR6100 (park fly range), I use a AR6100 in the plane for the drop that way if the plane flies out of the park fly reciever range then the drop box will not drop the diver that would also be out of range.

I don't have any pictures uploaded yet.

edge_pilot 06-18-2009 06:14 AM

We use a Sig Rascal 110 with a Saito 220 on board. Works very well and is extremely easy to fly if I need to find an airplane pilot to take me up. We have a 3 drop box setup on it, this makes it easy to carry 1,2 or 3 jumpers and keep the balance correct.

R/C Skyjumper 06-27-2009 07:46 PM

After 3 good Jumpe today we decided to "retire the Super Star" back to a trainer plane and at this moment we are sitting up the Kadet Sr for a drop plane with a Co Pilot receiver to have some fun with - gear is all installed ,Radio is on first setup done , bulkhead has been redone to make larger open bay for some fun things and O yes a removable drop box , not set up for multi divers yet as need to figer out how far out need the drop box to not bounce off the main gearwhen released. Any Ideas ? More later
Don

The_Wreck 07-07-2009 08:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have used a tower hobbies 60 size trainer....Not very good.

Then rigged up my 37.5% Yak with a drop box mounted to the landing gear....Removable with Velcro. It works great and the Yak with a DA170 doesn't even know the jumper is there. Obviously you can't drop from this altitude.

And finally, I just got the Mac Daddy. Super Flying King rigged up for 3 jumpers using a DA100.

RiaanLR 01-29-2010 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)

This is a Corex Ultra stick with a 50 cc gas. Takes two jumpers easely.

Riaan</p>

skydive4ever 01-29-2010 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use a Multiplex Magister upgraded to brushless, Spektrum 6Ch full range with DX6i radio for the plane and Spektrum 6 Ch micro receiver and DX6i for the Micro Diver Generation 2 from rcskydiving.com and their drop box, I don't have any pics but I do have a couple of videos, more to come :-)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl_o-J0s3sM[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4PR8DNckmw[/youtube]

PS I just bought a matching paramotor, gotta try to figure out a where to put the drop mechanism ;-)

Tee Bee 02-07-2010 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use a Sig Kadet Sr taildragger. It was my first rc plane to build and fly. Now it lives on as a drop plane. 3-channel, no ailerons. Powered by an OS 40LA. A bit underpowered for larger divers but manages to carry my Micro Diver to altitude alright.

Cpig 07-29-2010 05:07 PM

Air Force Academy's Twin Otter skydiving plane 82" wingspan, twin engine. Went with electric setup (Eflite power 32 x 2) so no fuel mess all over my skydiver. I think it's the perfect drop plane - same one used in real life.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/6708/to0260.jpg

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/525/to0258.jpg

edge_pilot 07-30-2010 05:30 AM

I knew someone would do this! Very cool jump plane. A friend of mine , Mike, found where the Golden Knight team actually used one of these years ago, he also found pictures of the actual plane with the Golden Knight color scheme on it.

Cpig 07-30-2010 07:38 AM

ORIGINAL: edge_pilot

I knew someone would do this! Very cool jump plane. A friend of mine , Mike, found where the Golden Knight team actually used one of these years ago, he also found pictures of the actual plane with the Golden Knight color scheme on it.
I learned to skydive at the Golden Knights' home drop zone - Raeford DZ in N. Carolina. It was always incredible to watch them, even had them give me tips on packing chutes and jumping - definitely a great place to learn (except for the crazy winds). Now I live in Colorado by the Air Force Academy so this plane (actual) flies over my house all the time. I live between the Academy and the airfield where it refuels. When H9 released it, I knew I had to get one as it is the perfect jump plane for my micro-diver.
Dave,
Maybe an Ultimate diver in Air Force Academy blue and white pattern - what do you think? I think they would love it up there at the Academy.

edge_pilot 07-30-2010 10:16 AM

We could do that. I have seen pictures of the Airforce chute, if I recall it would be no problem to duplicate.

GaryV 08-01-2010 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Great Planes "Giant Stik"
Evolution 35cc gasser W/pipe 19x8 carbon prop
Smart Fly system "Power Expander Sport Plus" fiber optic kill switch
Futaba 10C 2.4 6014FS receiver
set up for single drop.

Giant Telemaster
DLE 111 27x10 XOAR prop
Smart Fly system "Power Expander Sport Plus" fiber optic kill switch
Futaba 10C 2.4 6014HS receiver
currently set to drop 3 skydivers
have Eagle Tree telemetry to install
currently at 31lbs., still have a little more work to do.