RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   R/C Sky Diving (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/r-c-sky-diving-474/)
-   -   2010 CORKS Sky Dive Rally (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/r-c-sky-diving-474/9202754-2010-corks-sky-dive-rally.html)

twin3d 10-26-2009 08:08 AM

2010 CORKS Sky Dive Rally

Ok Gentleman, we are starting the planning stage for our event. We want to hear from you.
The contestants are the people that make our event a success.

Were the dates for the event ok with most everyone?

Did you like the Steak dinner and would you like that option again?

Any other ideas or suggstions would be welcomed. We have a few new things planned as far as safety is concerned but we want your input. We want this to be the "Joe Nall" of R/C Skydiving. We want everyone in the world to come participate that has an R/C Sky Diver. What would it take to make the trip worth wild? (With in reason of course). We want those who have or can bring planes to bring them but you don't have to, for our event we will haul you up. Just bring your jumper.

Taking a quick look at the Calendar the dates would be July 17, 18 2010. Does that sound good to eveyone?

Let us know, as Paul F mentioned it will be brought up in the next few meetings to get things budgeted for the event.

Mike S.

R/C Skyjumper 10-26-2009 08:14 AM

RE: 2010 CORKS Sky Dive Rally

The last weekend in July would be great as I have a renunion at that time in ohio or the week prior to the last weekend in July so could catch both , Will try eather way -

Thanks for getting a early start so plans can be made
D

twin3d 10-26-2009 08:20 AM

Unfortunatley we can't do the last weekend in July, our club has another event that same weekend.

Mike S.

JuanF 10-26-2009 08:25 AM

Mike S.

RE: your statement in the other thread about using "white" paint. I am in total disagreement with that. You should cater to the contestants requests and use only ORANGE FLOURESCENT paint!!! Otherwise I may have to boycott your event. I will hire folks to walk around your field with signs declaring "White Paint Unfair to Juan" LOL

All kidding aside. The date for the event was fine with me.

Yes do repeat the steak dinner. That was some dang good steaks.

My one suggestions would be to use the type of scorecard that was used at the Muncie Rally this year. Keep the unlimited drop option and still count the hightest 5 scores on your scorecard. Oh yes do use Orange Flourescent paint when you layout the circle.

I'll see what I can do about bringing my plane next year. Although Paul F. should have "my" plane in working order and ready to go when I get there. Paul F. I hope I am not being too demanding.

Juan

Mike remember: 3-5 3-5 3-5 always!!! LOL

twin3d 10-26-2009 08:39 AM

I think there is some Legal issue here in Ohio with using Orange Paint. Something about it is a pollutant and soaks through the soil into the water system. It was brought up by the EPA that in no shape or form are we to use Orange paint on Ohio Soil. This will contaminate the soil and will bring JUAN CLOSER TO THE CIRCLE......... :D

Thanks for the input Juan, if you think of anything else let us know.

Mike S.

R/C Skyjumper 10-26-2009 08:49 AM

Aw heck we just get Juan some Orange tinted sun glasses and all is good LOL

R/C Skyjumper 10-26-2009 08:53 AM

I just found a pair of orange tinted glasses on my 3 ft Lady jumper and will loan them to him - Problem solved

JuanF 10-26-2009 09:26 AM

Yeah Mike, don't want you guys to get in any legal troubles with the EPA and pollute the local water system. It would be horrible to contaminate the water and bring Juan closer to the circle!!!

If I think of anything else will let you know. You guys ran a good contest last year.

Juan

FlyBy8 10-26-2009 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No Juan, by next July I should have all the bugs worked out. :)

Banzai55 10-27-2009 07:22 AM

The 17th and 18th are good for the Mississippi boys! Ohio EPA is probably confusing orange paint with agent orange. So how about an orange tarp??? We use orange paint around here to kill fire ants! Gasoline works also take that EPA!

twin3d 10-27-2009 08:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey there you go, we could make the circle with Gasoline then set it on fire and burn it into the grass..... The when Juan jumps we can set it back on fire and that would give him his ORANGE CIRCLE... You might hit that circle but I bet you only do it once.. :D

JuanF 10-27-2009 08:43 AM

Mike S:
I always did want to go out in a "Blaze of Glory".

Juan

twin3d 10-27-2009 08:59 AM

Brings a whole new meaning to the song "Ring of Fire"..

Mike S.

twin3d 10-27-2009 09:03 AM

In all seriousness I thank those of you who have replied. We want to hear from everyone. Share your thoughts and Ideas. There is plenty of time for everyone to start saving for the trip so make plans to come.

Mike S.

R/C Skyjumper 10-27-2009 10:13 AM

Ya all mean we aint ser e us ? Naw kaint be , not us
Shucks

Then maby we aint after all - ok now to the real stuff - Hope to make it this time as I know I missed a good get together in Ohio

Starting to get some good talk here about the Skydivers ,now to keep them fiored up all winter is going to take all the brain cells I have left to do that
Last count I only had two not burnt out and one of them is scorched

R/C Skydiver 10-27-2009 07:09 PM

Mike,

Those dates are great with Mary and I. We look forward to the fun!

I like Juans suggestions, Great with the steaks, use score sheet like at Muncie, no limit on nr of jumps, top five scores count for total.

You might consider one last jump to catch jumper while standing inside the center circle. Have a jump off for ties. T

Think we may could set a record with the number of jumpers in the air at one time with 2.4 on most jumpers now. We had 13 in the air a few years back before 2.4. It was really funny to see guys forgetting which jumper they are controlling. Maybe that would make too many corn field landings!!! If we could do that and have it certified someway, it would sure be a challenge for other groups and even other countries to try and beat the record. It would also be more publicity for skydiving.

Publicize the event all around the country someway. I passed out a pile of brochures at the Perry, Ga. swap meet. Could someone do the same at Joe Nall, Warbirds Over Deleware, Bomber field in Tx, etc and other big events? A magazine article if possible would go a long way. I know there are many R/C guys who are into r/c skydiving all over the east coast that may try to go if they receive brochures thru their clubs or directly to them. I will send one to everyone on my list including Mexico and Brazil when you come out with the brochure.

Last year, I made an offer to loan a jumper to anyone in this area if they would go to the rally-no takers but I will try again this year.

A few suggestions for starters!!!

Jim

P.S. I like white paint for the circle 'cause my eyeballs are usually blood shot and would block out Juans favorite color if used!!!! Come to think of it, maybe I could hit the circle more if I couldn't see it!

twin3d 10-28-2009 07:50 AM

I like all of those ideas Jim, especialy the magazine ad. We'll have to see what we can do and how much it is. I would like to try and figure out how to get some big venders there like Horizon or Futaba, something along those lines. Maybe get some venders there for spectators and guest's. I would also like to see if we can't get a few pilots to do a Mid day demo while we are all taking a break and eating some lunch, something to keep the action going. I would also like to do some night flying. Has anyone ever flown a Jumper at night? I think setting a plane up for night flying and hauling a jumper up that has lights and dropping him would be really cool and very different. I will see what we can come up with.

Thanks,
Mike S.

R/C Skyjumper 10-28-2009 08:48 AM

I like the idea of venders as I am one but not at our Jump shows - The problem I see with venders is the cost to them to the numbers generated to sell to as this is there income and most don't want a loss as there cost for help and setup and moving items around -
I hope we can work out something on the vender side as it is a much needed item to have at meets -Maby a local hobby shop or specialized vender Columbus has several Hobby Shops might try to have them set up a spot there- also Dayton , Cinci, Advertizing in major fly mags would be very nice if cost factor would alowe - a couple months in a row to stir interest- any way you go is going to be costly with an ad big enough not to be on the inside back somewhere that no one sees, hope we all can help to get the word out we can put it on all our web sites but those only get looked at by a small segment of modlers

I relize we are a small group compared to Planes and RC Cars that draw many more numbers than we do and this is a hard problem to overcome with and venders to come set up at a small show - Dont get me wrong Im all for it and will help any way I can
just been there done that a time or to

twin3d 10-30-2009 08:46 AM

I will keep that in mind, I have a few contacts that I mght be able to make some things happen that the average person in the hobby doesn't have. We'll see.

What about you guys from out of country? Any of you guy's think you could make it? If we have a large enough group going to show up maybe we can plan some type of record event for the books. It would be really cool to do a large mass jump as Jim mentioned and have AMA setup there to record the event and get it in the record books. Plus to just have everyone there together would be awesome.

Mike S.

lundy 10-30-2009 10:35 AM

Mike,

The outlook for a new Columbus Skydiving Rally is great,
I have pleasant memory's on the last one.
Would like to come over .
However I can not make any commitments at this moment .

I hope you keep the unlimited number of jumps .
Travelling 5000 miles for 5 or 10 jumps is not very likely .

Considering the orange paint to mark the circle, that has to stay ! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] I support Juan in this !:D:)

Jules

R/C Skydiver 11-01-2009 08:54 PM

Jules,

You need to get everything squared away for the trip to Columbushow else can the rest of us have a chance to beat you next year!

Mike and The Pauls,

I agree with Jules on the long trip to get here then limit the number of jumps. In addition to Jules long, expensive trip, many of us travel around 12 hrs from the deep south, or spend a lot of $ for airline tickets flying, and Juan almost has to go around the world to make it from the great northwest. It wouldn't be worth the money and effort to end up making only a few jumps. Come to think of it, no matter what ya'll decide, it would still be nice to spend some more time with old Skydiving friends again.

As Don says, getting vendors there would be quite an effort unless the event gets large enough to attract some attention in the R/C world. Local Hobby Shops may be interested and some large Hobby dealers may donate some extra stuff for prizes. However, they have gotten a little stingy in the last few years! An article about R/C Skydiving in some of the R/C magazines would help a bunch.

Night jumping would be very interesting!! Never thought of putting lights on a skydiver before-hmmmmmm!

This is getting more interesting as time goes by. Keep it up!!!

Time to get off my soap box!!!

Jim

skydiver 11-02-2009 07:05 PM

Not to worry, we will have the basic same format as 2009 - unlimited jumps except on Sunday when we have to close it down.

How about a multiple "Chicken Drop"?
Last guy to open his 'chute wins. Maybe something from KFC or ChikFilet (or however it is spelled) :)

R/C Skydiver 11-02-2009 08:13 PM

The chicken drop sounds good. Give a free dinner at chick filet as a prize. Banzia55 suggested almost the same thing but called it a HALO event. Guess every knows that HALO stands for High Altitude Low Opening. Whatever it's gonna be called, I will be the first to sign up to try. It would be a lot of fun!!!

Will have to use on of my old Robbie Charly jumpers (Charly R.) just in case I have a senior moment and forget where the chute opening switch is located!!

lundy 11-03-2009 02:12 AM

Jim

A senior moment ! That's a good one !
Can we conclude out of your statement you had a encounter with one lately ! :D

Chicken drop sounds like fun watching !:D

R/C Skydiver 11-03-2009 12:13 PM

Jules

Unfortunately, I have had many encounters with senior moments!!! Don't tell me that a Belgian does not have such a thing. Must be your diet if you don't.

What do you mean you will watch the "Chicken Drop"? They should make a rule-everyone must participate in every event to be eligible to win anything.

You can't chicken out on the "Chicken Drop"!!!!!

Jim