Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Putting together my first 1/8 Buggy

Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Putting together my first 1/8 Buggy

Old 10-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Orion_2kTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting together my first 1/8 Buggy

So I decided to go with electric instead of nitro for my first 1/8th scale buggy. I will be piecing it together over the winter and have it done in time for the Spring/Summer season. I would like some critiquing on what I've decided to go with. I don't mind spending money one quality parts. I feel with as much as I've read I think I have it dialed fairly well. The battery is strong enough to handle the 210amp draw of the Motor/ESC and @ 5600mAh, should have a decent run time. I've heard nothing but praise for Hitec servos and the Spektrum servos seemed a little weak. The DX3R goes without saying IMO as well as the Losi 8ight E Roller.

LOSA0807 - Team Losi 8IGHT-E 2.0 1/8 4WD Buggy Race Roller w/o Electrics
Note:This item is not eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping
$499.99 <input type="text" name="cart_quantity[]" value="1" size="2" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; text-align: right; " /> $499.99
Save For LaterDelete
PTK-LPH-5600-4S50-W - ProTek R/C 4S "Supreme Power" Li-Poly 50C Hard Case Battery Pack (14.8V/5600mAh) (ROAR Approved)
$199.99 <input type="text" name="cart_quantity[]" value="1" size="2" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; text-align: right; " /> $199.99
Save For LaterDelete
HRC37955S - Hitec HS-7955TG Ultra Torque Titanium Gear Digital Servo
$119.99 <input type="text" name="cart_quantity[]" value="1" size="2" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; text-align: right; " /> $119.99
Save For LaterDelete
SPM3100 - Spektrum DX3R DSM2 3CH Surface High Speed Racing Radio
$289.99 <input type="text" name="cart_quantity[]" value="1" size="2" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; text-align: right; " /> $289.99
Save For LaterDelete
TEKTT2313 - Tekin RX8/Redline T8 1/8th Scale Buggy Brushless ESC/Motor Combo (1700kV)
$329.99 <input type="text" name="cart_quantity[]" value="1" size="2" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; text-align: right; " /> $329.99
Old 10-16-2010, 06:17 PM
rc person 577

Default RE: Putting together my first 1/8 Buggy

Look at www.stormerhobbies.com

Tekin RX8 - $280

Hitec 79655TG - $100

Maybe Hobby King for a cheaper battery.

If the price is right for you, that is a great set-up.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:31 AM
SouthFloridaAppraiser

I would purchase quality items based on warranty. Specifically I would buy a castle system as they offer a one year warranty, and JR Servos which is three years if I recall correctly. As to the transmitter, I don't think one is going to have ten percent better lap times with X or Y. I have found that Pro-match batteries to be great and much lower in price than TP or Hyperion. As to your car of choice, I would definitely go to the track and see if many guys are running this buggy and/or local hobby shop to see if they stock parts. My .03 - inflation
Old 10-18-2010, 11:44 AM
jmaxey51

Hitec servos have by far the best customer service and IMO better servos, i have JR and Hitec servos and im about to sell my JRs.... and on the tekin ESC i know alot of people have them burning up in 1/8th scale but 99% of the people run their brushless motor and i think castle for ESC
Old 10-18-2010, 02:24 PM
bigdogkanicsar

personally i've found futaba to have unprecedented customer service have used them for over 13 years and never had anything break til about 8 days and i called customer service and they replaced it no questions asked.
by the way the servo i broke was entirely my fault but it didn't matter cuz they didn't ask.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:47 PM
rc person 577

ORIGINAL: jmaxey51

Hitec servos have by far the best customer service and IMO better servos, i have JR and Hitec servos and im about to sell my JRs.... and on the tekin ESC i know alot of people have them burning up in 1/8th scale but 99% of the people run their brushless motor and i think castle for ESC
Ineresting... I heard the castles are burning up left and right and the tekins were not. huh.

Ya the Hitec servos are better and has great customer service.

As for the radio, I have heard the Futaba's are better, bt the there is a pirce difference. $80 for a compatible reciver vs $50 for a compatible rx. Plus the initial cost. If you can afford it, the 3PKS or the 4PK from Futaba would be a little better.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:45 AM
xjqkz

ORIGINAL: rc person 577

Look at www.stormerhobbies.com

Tekin RX8 - $280

Hitec 79655TG - $100

Maybe Hobby King for a cheaper battery.

If the price is right for you, that is a great set-up.

+1

and yes Hitec are the absolute best servos warranty/reliability wise!