Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

tires keep blowing up, need help

Old 11-15-2011, 09:04 AM
kevinle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires keep blowing up, need help

Hi guys,
I just got a inferno ve race spec with Tekin 2250kv, im running on 6s and 21t pinion gear, so far I blew 4 front tires with less than 1st 3-4 secs, its look like front wheels are spinning more than back wheels, any comments guys, my foam wheel set is on the way, does it has any kind of differential setting or something for this kind of buggy?

Old 11-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: tires keep blowing up, need help

If you wanted to reduce front tire wear, you could stiffen the centre differential. WIth that setup I'd say put 30-50k in the middle diff and you'll be good. You'll go through tires more evenly, but also, this change will allow you to put more power to the ground, which in turn will cause all 4 tires to wear more, and the fronts will probably still go first. There's no rubber that can take a good 6s pounding, this is way beyond what any of them are designed for. Fun though, isn't it?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:33 AM
kevinle

I could see any fun yet hehe, but I can feel it already, btw, sorry for my dummy questions, Im brandnew to buggy, when you said tight it 30k-50k, what is that?? I saw the lil hex crew on the side of center diff, how can I adjust it to 30k to 50k? thanks buddy...
Old 11-15-2011, 12:57 PM
xON3MERCx

ORIGINAL: kevinle

I could see any fun yet hehe, but I can feel it already, btw, sorry for my dummy questions, Im brandnew to buggy, when you said tight it 30k-50k, what is that?? I saw the lil hex crew on the side of center diff, how can I adjust it to 30k to 50k? thanks buddy...

Foxy is referring to the weight of the grease that you can use in the center diff.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Foxy

Yeh, if you take out the center diff you'll see it's basically a gear screwed on top of a cup. With the gear side up, remove the 4 screws holding it together on the face of the gear and gently separate the two halves. If there is a gasket, be very very careful not to damage it when you lift it off, use a knife and be very gentle, you'll need it. OK, now you see a gooey mess and 4 spider gears (or not a gooey mess if you are lucky, just a lightly oiled set of spider gears ). Take the gears out off their litle shafts remembering or noting the order of any washers and such. Clean out the diff case and the gears as best you can, you don't need to be spotless. Now reassemble those gears on their shafts and drop them back in. Now take your 50,000 weight silicone diff oil (ask your hobby shop or look online) and pour it in, or rather squeeze some in, since you can't pour 50k, it's very thick. Let it settle for a few minutes, add more if necessary and wait again if necessary until you are just at the top of the spider gears, now replace the gasket and reassemble, using a blue (medium) threadlock on the 4 main diff screws, while catching any silicone that spills out.

That grub screw in the side of the diff is only needed when fully disassembling the diff, leave it in place throughout this process.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:33 PM
kevinle

Foxy, thank you very mucho, I will try to do this b4 my foam wheels show up, I was running stock pinion 12t, and now 21t, I will post video after =)
Old 11-16-2011, 12:10 AM
Foxy

No probs dude. Not only will this reduce front wheelspin and ballooning a lot, it will allow you to put more power to the ground. I don't know if you could before, but after doing this you will be able to do standing backflips and long wheelies and stuff like that.

Also, now with a 21 tooth pinion, and now that you will not be bleeding a lot of power through the center diff, your car is going to be a LOT punchier and your motor will get a lot hotter. You may find you have to stop sometimes to avoid overheating. If you are placing an order for diff oil or anything else right now, consider getting a small temperature gun at the same time if you don't already have one. Don't let the motor go over 180-190F. 21 teeth is a lot. If you find the motor is getting too hot, you might want to go to an 18t or something and see how that goes.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:46 AM
tommygun32

I would also add if you find the center diff has NO oil in it, go through the process of checking all three diffs.

Maybe try a combo of 15,000 in the front, 50,000 in the center and 10,000 - 7,000 in the rear.

If you pull them all out at the same time, use a sharpie pen to mark the F and R diffs so you don't confuse them later.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:39 PM
kevinle

Alright, I got my diff oil, and ofna foam wheels, the blowing tires issue is gone, but..... now my car is too hard to control, seem like the foam tire is making it sliding and spinning too much wheel, to hit to top speed, I need a longgg distand with easy throttle at 1st, please give me advices guys, prob because the road surface I was running is too...dirty (dirts) or anyway I can make the foam more stickyer, OR add more weight will help?? most of the time I ran straight, higher speed asap is my game hehe
Old 11-18-2011, 06:35 PM
LjCraft1234

i wouldnt add too much weight yeah these motors are'strong but not designed to handle much more weight as foxy said with the 21t pinion gear lets pretend that adds weight (it actually adds what we call load) now PRETEND for a min that, that gear makes he car weight 18lbs now the motor has to push 18 lbs of dead weight moving plus the weight of the car hense the motor works harder and heats up easier from the increased weight (its u running up a steep hill equivalance) now by reducing the pinion gear to 18t your reducing the weight (actual load to the motor) to 12-14 lbs ( you running up a small slant) motor has to work less now grt to its higher rpms and coling speed faster ( cooling coming from wind blowing accross it) what is your actalu gear setup 21 and  what??? knowing that it will be easier for'you to tune it so that u experience less over heating remeber the faster it can theortically the higher the pinion gear the more the load and the more the heat is prodused if u need me to explain why it gets hotter in technicalterms let me know or if anything is unclear
Old 11-19-2011, 10:51 AM
kevinle

21/48spur, btw, I dont have any issue with heat or anything, motor 95 and esc 105 after 10 mins, this is a sweet setup, with 15t I hit 54mph and barely blowing the tires up, thats why I changed it to foam, with 21t with foam, I got 72mph but its also harder control, seem like foam tires dont have much traction on normal road surface, I can't run rubber tires with 72mph, but seem like its way more stickyer than foam, I just broght my car to a clean parking, its do much much better than normal dirty road, so....look like I can't run my buggy anywhere like before if I want to go fast like this right?

I ran brushless all my life, I got boat from 30 to 85 inches with brushless power up to 12s6p, I got onroad cars but just never deal with brushless 1/8 buggy, I choose buggy this time cus I can run anywhere anytimeif tired of going too far to looking for good parking, but no reason for me to get this buggy if its slower than my 1/10 onroad (62mph with old Novak 3.5r)
Old 11-19-2011, 12:13 PM
LjCraft1234

with the rubber tires before u put them on flip them inside out and run two - three full wraps of duct tape and if they bloon real bad i put 3- 4 wraps its amazing how duct tape found its way to this hobby plus one more thing duct tape is good for....
Old 11-19-2011, 07:41 PM
kevinle

WoW..., I will try the duck tape trick, I like that idea, thank you =), btw, I dont feel good with center differential when Im going off road at all, seem like all my problems are came from there, by anyway I can make it solid like a onroad car??
Old 11-19-2011, 08:22 PM
LjCraft1234

dont know much about the car like most but if ur making something that mostly on road and some off road i would honestly leave it alone but if u know ur gonna wanna mostly be on road with some off road set up for that mapeaning look for stronger diff gears and use a heavier grease and adjust shock accordingly  imo thats what i would do
Old 11-19-2011, 10:54 PM
kevinle

like this =) keke, I just done setup for low profile mod buggy, I will test it out tomorrow, everything can be undo, btw, how easy to strip out the differential (center specially) gears? I know they are all metal but with plastic housing, did anyone messed them up before with high speed run or....too much torque??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68551.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1688848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57545.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1688849