Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

What's a Good Start Point These Days?

Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

What's a Good Start Point These Days?

Old 05-03-2012, 03:25 AM
cobra26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a Good Start Point These Days?

I have a number of 1/8 & 1/10 nitro buggies and truggies but have not been very active for a couple of years. My grandson is now showing interest and I'd like to get him something so he can test the waters of this great hobby. What would you folks recommend these days as a good starting point for him? He's 13 and very mechanically inclined. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Cobra26
Old 05-03-2012, 10:54 AM
nitroexpress

Default RE: What's a Good Start Point These Days?

ORIGINAL: cobra26

I have a number of 1/8 & 1/10 nitro buggies and truggies but have not been very active for a couple of years. My grandson is now showing interest and I'd like to get him something so he can test the waters of this great hobby. What would you folks recommend these days as a good starting point for him? He's 13 and very mechanically inclined. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Cobra26
If you're just testing the waters, why not use what you have?
Old 05-03-2012, 02:01 PM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend an OFNA Hyper 7. Thanks
Old 05-04-2012, 02:01 AM
Foxy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Hyper 7 as mentioned above is a very economical car which is tough as nails, it won't disappoint. It is the best bang for buck 1/8th buggy on the market in my opinion. Parts are everywhere but I'll be surprised if you manage to break one.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:12 AM
cobra26

The Hyper 7 is still around and getting kudos, huh? That sounds like a good choice as I had one about 3 years ago and it did seem tough as nails. I wound up trading it away in a Revo deal. He has driven my RC10-GT but I have mostly 1/8 buggies and envision running with him. I want him to have a car that is his own, that he feels free to modify and upgrade, so the Hyper 7 sounds like a good choice that won't break the bank. Thanks for the reco!

Cobra26
Old 05-04-2012, 04:35 AM
Foxy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10 years in the market relatively unchanged and still going strong. It's no racer these days, being built like a tank, but they are still the eminent cheap basher. Go for it, she'll treat you good
Old 05-04-2012, 05:14 AM
fdjizm

Hyper 7 is a great choice I can't count how many times I've crashed mine, only broke a wing mount!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:28 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hyper 7, or Jammin X1 CR which is what I got (don't buy at tower amain has it for over $100 cheaper, which is about the same price as the hyper)
got my jammin a year or 2 ago not broke anything outside the POS steering servo they include. Which also has to be replaced on the hyper