Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

RC8.2 to RC8.2e Conversion

Old 07-06-2012, 05:37 AM
bhughes89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC8.2 to RC8.2e Conversion

i apologize if this is a repost - i searched the forums and couldn't find anything.

is it possible to convert the RC8.2 to RC8.2e?i took a look at both kit manuals and it looks like the only difference is changing out the motor mount/bulkheads and the radio/battery tray. is that a fair assessment?

just wondering, because i'd like to get a buggy that i can easily convert between nitro and electric (so i can keep my interest in both for half the price)

thanks in advance for any help or wisdom!

Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Default RE: RC8.2 to RC8.2e Conversion

www.teknoRC.com
Old 07-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Foxy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bhughes89

is it possible to convert the RC8.2 to RC8.2e? i took a look at both kit manuals and it looks like the only difference is changing out the motor mount/bulkheads and the radio/battery tray. is that a fair assessment?

Yup

just wondering, because i'd like to get a buggy that i can easily convert between nitro and electric (so i can keep my interest in both for half the price)

It's never going to be easy to switch between, and you'll have to use a setup that does neither thing (nitro or electric) very well. You'll need different suspension settings and differential settings for electric, etc.

thanks in advance for any help or wisdom!

The tekno kit linked above is a great option, easily as good quality as the official parts, however, even though it is a full chassis swap technically making it easier to make the swap (just release and relocate the whole front and rear ends), it still isn;t ideal due to the fact that the diffs won't be ideal for either electric or nitro. If you are determined to do this though and try to use the same setup for both, I'd say go 10, 10, 5 in the diff oils, front, center and rear respectively.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:57 AM
bhughes89

thank you both for your help!

really i was just hoping the conversion would be easy in case i get sick of nitro - not like i'd be swapping parts between races to get in both 1/8 nitro and 1/8 electric classes haha. though i would be really impressed with myself if i could do that...

after looking at the tekno conversion kit, i was thinking i could use two different chasses:the original chassis with diffs for nitro, and the tekno chassis with diffs for electric. i think that would solvethe diffproblems -and the cost of the tekno conversion kit and a brushless motor/esc will be about the same as just the RC8.2e roller alone...

on the other hand, why would i spend $150 on a tekno conversion kit when most of the parts i need are much cheaper than that? i see they say something about better weight balancing by locating the battery a few mm closer to the driveshaft/chassis center, but isn't the stock RC8.2/RC8.2e chassis pretty good anyways?Is the engineering behind the tekno conversion kits really worth paying $150?
Old 07-09-2012, 05:42 AM
Foxy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bhughes89

thank you both for your help!

really i was just hoping the conversion would be easy in case i get sick of nitro - not like i'd be swapping parts between races to get in both 1/8 nitro and 1/8 electric classes haha. though i would be really impressed with myself if i could do that...

after looking at the tekno conversion kit, i was thinking i could use two different chasses: the original chassis with diffs for nitro, and the tekno chassis with diffs for electric. i think that would solve the diff problems - and the cost of the tekno conversion kit and a brushless motor/esc will be about the same as just the RC8.2e roller alone...

on the other hand, why would i spend $150 on a tekno conversion kit when most of the parts i need are much cheaper than that? i see they say something about better weight balancing by locating the battery a few mm closer to the driveshaft/chassis center, but isn't the stock RC8.2/RC8.2e chassis pretty good anyways? Is the engineering behind the tekno conversion kits really worth paying $150?
If you want my personal opinion, the stock RC8 reminds me of a flatfish. Look at it from the bottom compared to the tekno...(stock on left, tekno on right, as you can see its quite a difference). Don't get me wrong, the regular version drives ok, but the tekno kit is better, mainly for the layout and slimness advantage. It is also the closest you can get to your 'instaswap' goal, but yeh, they are for the richer among us, there's no need to do it, the regular kit will work fine and is one of the more 'polished' conversions available (as the OEM it should be!).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25185.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	1780129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27805.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1780130