Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Where have all the old skool guys been??

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Where have all the old skool guys been??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:00 PM
rccheech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where have all the old skool guys been??

I know its been a while for me on here, but I didn't think it would be all new faces,, around four years ago there were alot of familiar faces here. Anyone still around here kicking up dust?? There were alot of good people and great knowledge out in here back in the day!! I miss some of those guys!!
Old 12-19-2012, 03:02 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Where have all the old skool guys been??

Unfortunately, most of the racers have gone to another well known RC site. Very few of us old-skoolers remain. I'm still waiting for RCU to implement the merge of the buggies and truggies forums which was proposed by me and approved by members a very long time ago, this would go some way toward making these forums appear more active, and therefore generate still more traffic. Unfrortunately, it seems RCU management has bigger fish to fry.

To be fair to them, the info that we have is that they are working on a full revamp of RCU, and that would certainly explain why small actions like the one I proposed have not been performed, since they may be changed soon anyway. I have no lead time on when the new site will be ready or lauchned, but we are told to expect great things.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:37 PM
rccheech

Well that kinda sucks!! This place used to be hopping with people, I do agree that since then there has been alot of r/c sites out there now. This was the place to come if you had a question, lets hope it'll come back sometime soon. Im still around here from time to time, but it seems alot have gone on to a local site for us guys in Michigan, but I still like to come here and see how the rest are doing, but I will admit it has been boring.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure when the new site is launched, people will start coming back. Other forums here are still vibrant, unfortunately, 1/8th has gone very very quiet.

Just a by the way (and I'm sorry to trouble you about it, unfortunately, I'm expected to), I'm afraid your avatar is in violation of the rules. It's a minor rule, but it states that avatars may not contain the logos of companies who are not sponsors (sic Advertisers) of RCU. If you wouldn't mind, please go ahead and change it whenever convenient. Thanks in advance and once again, sorry to seem nitpicky...
Old 12-20-2012, 10:18 AM
tommygun32

I definitely don't consider myself 'old skool', nor that 'knowledgeable', but I've been here a couple of years, however, LIFE kind of stepped up and slapped me around a bit this last year. Haven't even touched my cars in that same amount of time. That may change in a bit depending on how things transpire here....fingers crossed.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:34 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO the main change in RC in the last four or five years is that racing has completely taken over, and with it, the overly serious, anal approach to RC has pushed out the more freewheeling mentality that went with bashing, which used to be much more popular. People don't post videos of RC's jumping over houses anymore. Rather, they talk about degrees of caster, how amazingly different 7-7-3 in the diffs is compared to 5-7-3, and basically whatever it is that in theory will shave 0.0000034 seconds off their laptime, etc.. That kind of thing. It's gone from a heavy metal concert to a quite evening in the library. And this site is more associated with bashers I think, and all these racing nerds associate bashing with newbishness. And so they make fun of us while pushing up on the tape in the middle of their glasses or fiddling with the neat hex wrench set in their pocket pen protectors, chuckling dorkily among themselves..
Old 12-20-2012, 09:08 PM
rccheech

Foxy, will do that asap, rules are rules, no offense taken.

herrsavage, That may be true, but me myself I am not a basher, strictly a racer, but in no way shape or form will I make fun of those who bash, most of us started there, so I hope you dont think I am one of those....
Old 12-20-2012, 11:25 PM
HerrSavage

Wasn't aimed at you at all. I just think racing has become way way WAY too serious. It's ridiculous - you invest minimum a grand in a race set-up, and within six months the companies release a new model or significant upgrade/set of upgrades, and a year later you're made to feel your kit is totally outdated. It's all completely homorless too. All that matters is shaving off that 1/1857234058923406th of a second..

I personally have an Associated RC8.2, and I don't think I've ever suffered through a more offputting internet experience than clicking into the main thread about it on "that" other site. Hundreds of pages of talking about drilling shock pistons, running this or that brand of shock bladder, extensive discussions about various brands of o-rings, and on and on. Yes, this is somewhat of an offtopic rant.. But it does at least partially explain why things here are kind of quiet. There are shock pistons to talk about elsewhere!... To say that I would rather read about basketweaving is not mere hyperbole.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:19 AM
nitroexpress

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Wasn't aimed at you at all. I just think racing has become way way WAY too serious. It's ridiculous - you invest minimum a grand in a race set-up, and within six months the companies release a new model or significant upgrade/set of upgrades, and a year later you're made to feel your kit is totally outdated. It's all completely homorless too. All that matters is shaving off that 1/1857234058923406th of a second..

I personally have an Associated RC8.2, and I don't think I've ever suffered through a more offputting internet experience than clicking into the main thread about it on "that" other site. Hundreds of pages of talking about drilling shock pistons, running this or that brand of shock bladder, extensive discussions about various brands of o-rings, and on and on. Yes, this is somewhat of an offtopic rant.. But it does at least partially explain why things here are kind of quiet. There are shock pistons to talk about elsewhere!... To say that I would rather read about basketweaving is not mere hyperbole.
Question is, what do you expect to discuss about your RC8.2 on any site?People over "there" do tend to get carried away with theirtalk ofshock pistons and etc.But over "here" you have peopletalking about the buildings that they jumped off. Or they post videos of themselves running up and down a street about a thousand times. Or kicking up leaves in a park.Pick your poison.

BTW, I do agree with you that many go overboard on the mod and adjustment thingy. It's almost like believing that the new MBX7 is a major advancement over the MBX6R. It's not that different, but the cost of believing so is about $200 Go figure.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:21 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Not really an "Old Schooler" here but not new by any means. I just haven't had time, or the drive to jump on. Once you are on here often enough and long enough you start noticing trends in the people that make it more like "Oh man, why do I even talk to some of them", at least, in my opinion. I stop in and read from time to time but lately I have not been very active lately.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:26 AM
FahrtAutoRC

I have also mostly dropped out of the local racing scene for a little bit, but I feel ya on not wanting to see or even care about all this other piddly stuff. You wanna know the secret to pulling fast and perfect laps? Freakin practice, man! Why even worry about upgrading if you spend more than one time on your lid each race? And even then!
Old 12-22-2012, 06:14 AM
rccheech

In the racing world, I will admit it is a total different ball game, its a trial and error game for yojr setup, you need alot of practice to make yourself a good driver, then you can start messing with the setup. It is kind of an anal retentive process but in all honesty that is part of the racing scene, sometimes the slightest change can have a good or bad result or none at all, but im not one to sit here and tell people everything i did to my rig to go faster, that setup probably worked for me and my driving style, but not somebody elses. Its one thing if they ask, but it goes with the saying " you can lead a horse to the water but you cant make.him drink" its either gonna work or it wont.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:29 AM
HerrSavage

I agree. I have nothing against people making adjustments to their setup(obviously). But when I take my buggy out to the track, and especially if it's rough, I need a good few tanks to get a feel for it, and adjust MY driving to the setup. Getting good at driving takes a lot of.... just practice driving. But I get the impression a lot of people think making some minor change - like going from 5-10-3 to 5-7-3 - is going to immediately make everything perfect.. I think a lot of it is just wrenching for wrenching's sake.. And I mean, OK, if you're sponsored and have the luck to be able to race every weekend, etc.., then OK, I guess being more into the details of shock bladders could conceivably be more interesting. But I - and I honestly think a LOT of people who even race more than I do - are not going to be significantly helped by running different shock bladders. And sure as h.ell not by setting off on some jousting-at-windmills quest for the "perfect" set-up. It's the culture of RC at the moment though - talking about shock bladders and the like...
Old 12-22-2012, 03:17 PM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are two elements to it all. First, can you drive? Do you have the skills to adapt quickly to track conditions and keep it on its wheels and Secondly, do you have the money? Its going to always be about having the money to get the rides with the lightest weight and fastest engine. I don't have that kind of money so I will have to be happy about feeling joy in driving with my son, on a sunny afternoon, hearing that unmistakable buzz of a nitro pipe, the smile on my kids face as he clears the jump with a sweet landing. Life is too short to be jealous of the people who can dump thousands a year into this sport. I am just glad I can afford a few rides to enjoy. Peace
Old 12-28-2012, 04:52 AM
lez1troubles

Hi RCCHEECH, nice to see your still alive. Still racing and bashing the hell out of my Kyosho's and they are still holding up great.[8D]
Old 12-29-2012, 06:07 PM
rccheech

ORIGINAL: lez1troubles

Hi RCCHEECH, nice to see your still alive. Still racing and bashing the hell out of my Kyosho's and they are still holding up great.[8D]
Thats great!!! Yep still racing like crazy in the summer, sometimes indoor in the winter time, my Losis are still going strog as ever as well, good to hear from you again! Ill be more active here near springtime, in the summer I'm too busy racing, I travel around Michigan to race so I stay pretty active on the tracks more than in here.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 PM
qaiz

Nice to see you still kicking around Patrick & Foxy...

Just getting back into the game, have been trying for the past 3 months but work and my other hobbies have just been eating too much time..

Hopefully in the near future Ill be back into the crazy world of RC..