Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Nitro Engine Mounting Standards for Savage & Hyper 7 Buggy......????

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Nitro Engine Mounting Standards for Savage & Hyper 7 Buggy......????

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 03:18 AM
enduroexpert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Engine Mounting Standards for Savage & Hyper 7 Buggy......????

Hello
I've just had both my Savage and Hyper 7 engines start to fail, they're both Big Block engines and have been rebuilt several times and have been very well maintained, but life for them both is basically over. I've been looking at new alternatives, Alpha, NovaRossi, Werks, HPI.....etc.....etc..... and I can't find any standards with regards to the mounting similarities of these new engines in relation to my old engines.
My main concerns are these:
1) Are the mounting holes on the bottom of the engine the same on all Big Block engines....?
2) Is the dimension (Height) from the "engine mounting face" to "output shaft centre" the same.....?
(......or do engine manufacturers just sell interface/mounting plates to suit whatever vehicle it's going to be mounted to attain correct position & height).......?
I've searched the internet high and low for these answers and just have come up blank, they must get discussed regular......!!!!
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Johnny
Old 09-29-2015, 09:00 AM
Anthoop

The Savage (I believe) can only use a pullstart or roto start engine...any engine that is described as big block with the appropriate starting system will fit.

The Hyper 7 can use bump/pull/roto and has engine mounts that will move the engine fore/aft...again any big block will fit.

Generally there is always a way to make an appropriate engine fit/work in a car...for example...
The LRP.28 pullstart engine has a very large backplate....the engine fits the Hyper 7 mounts but the backplate is so large that you can not fit the mounts to the engine mount plate and thus the chassis......however by cutting out a section of the mount plate and using a few spacers under the mounts you can get it to all fit together.

My advice is to look at the engine you want for each vehicle and then either come and ask if it will fit or just do an internet search...eg- Hyper 7+LRP
Old 10-22-2015, 12:48 PM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthoop
The Savage (I believe) can only use a pullstart or roto start engine...any engine that is described as big block with the appropriate starting system will fit.

The Hyper 7 can use bump/pull/roto and has engine mounts that will move the engine fore/aft...again any big block will fit.

Generally there is always a way to make an appropriate engine fit/work in a car...for example...
The LRP.28 pullstart engine has a very large backplate....the engine fits the Hyper 7 mounts but the backplate is so large that you can not fit the mounts to the engine mount plate and thus the chassis......however by cutting out a section of the mount plate and using a few spacers under the mounts you can get it to all fit together.

My advice is to look at the engine you want for each vehicle and then either come and ask if it will fit or just do an internet search...eg- Hyper 7+LRP
I had the same trouble on the Hyper 7. I found that Axial engines fit with no modifications and they run great too. Best pinch of any engine I have used. It needs heating to get it to even pull its so tight. So I use an engine preheater now prior to starting. I have an Axial .28 rr spec 2 on my Hyper 7. I put a Novarossi Serpent engine .21 on my hyper gt and it fit fine except that I had to have the pipe manifold that was made for it for the serpent because the tolerance of the exhaust port to the pull start was ridiculous, the majority of the bottom of the area where it attaches is gone, shaved away. the stock manifold and pipe wouldn't fit. Also the clutch bell was way different on the Novarossi, again I am guessing because it was made for the Serpent. I cant afford a real Novarossi aftermarket engine so this was pretty much the best I could do. I also picked up a Picco Boost 21 which I am so looking forward to running. I got 2 of the 32 rr spec 2 Axials and another spec 1 .28 on the sideline if I need replacements. lol I have a bunch of JL .28's too... 3 I think... they are the stock engines coming on the Hyper line now. .threw them to the side for other possibilities.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:31 AM
Anthoop

The JL.28 that comes on the US Hypers is the Force .28...HPI use them
In the UK we still get the option of the Hyper.21 or the Macstar.28 on the Hypers.

There is also a new engine...a .30 that looks to be based on the Hyper.21/Macstar.28... http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/pro...ox-servos-blue
Old 10-24-2015, 05:33 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthoop
The JL.28 that comes on the US Hypers is the Force .28...HPI use them
In the UK we still get the option of the Hyper.21 or the Macstar.28 on the Hypers.

There is also a new engine...a .30 that looks to be based on the Hyper.21/Macstar.28... http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/pro...ox-servos-blue
Yes that is the new one with the COPS pullstart. supposedly better than the prior pullstarts. besides that I don't see much of an improvement in the engine.