Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Motor and ESC running very hot!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Motor and ESC running very hot!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 07:09 PM
c00kiebr0s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor and ESC running very hot!!!!

hello i have a hobbytech str8 ep, with upgraded motor, esc and batteries.
its got 2 gens ace 5000mah 40c 3s lipos (in series for an effective 22.2v's), hobbywing 150amp esc and tenshock x802 (not sure of kv).
it ran it for maybe 5 minutes and the esc gets soo hot it turns half off (steering but no throttle) the motor is soo hot that if you touch it for 1/2 seacond youll burn your finger a bit, esc it not as hot to touch but its plastic so it doesnt transfer heat all that well.

i had 2 h-energy 4000mah 25c 3s lipos before and didn't have this problem so it must be the c rating right? is there any way to fix it? (without getting or using different batteries).
Old 01-22-2017, 04:46 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Since nobody jumped in and said anything, I'll give you my thoughts. As for you just changing the batteries while leaving everything else the same, I'd rule out a battery issue unless you have problems only using the one set of batteries all the time. It could be just coincidence that your Gens Ace packs are thought to be the trouble maker. Every brand has their "bad apples", and Gens Ace are not exempt from that group. I would think the 40C packs would give you more headroom to play with.

If you had a controlled testing ground where everything was the same, and only the batteries changed, then I could see possibly looking at a battery issue. Your issue could be your driving style and you going out there with more confidence while using the new/different packs?

Start out by lowering the Punch control to Soft/Level 1, or the lowest the ESC has. Also while in there, turn down the Timing. Then I'd change the gearing to a higher ratio to lessen the strain to the motor. See what temps you get. IR thermometer readings on the motor?

Last edited by RustyUs; 01-22-2017 at 05:12 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:18 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not knowing what motor you are running is the issue. How do you know how much voltage and current it can handle?
What pinion and spur are you running?
What is the current draw?
You can't start changing things without first knowing what you have got or where you are going.

The 4000/25c packs can provide a total of 100amps. The 5000/40c packs can provide a total of 200amps.
If your set-up is drawing 150 amps or more then running on the 4000/25c packs it can only receive 100amps and probably won't overheat but will be hurting the batteries.
Running on the 5000/40c it is getting what it is asking for up to 200amps.

For instance,if the motor can only handle 100amps but you have it geared to draw 150amps then it will overheat on the 5000/40c packs

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 01-22-2017 at 05:27 AM.